Question about Hibiscus

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Default Question about Hibiscus

I have a good sized, healthy looking hibiscus on the south side of my house. I've just moved in but have noticed that almost as soon as the buds form on the plant, they fall off without opening. Does anyone know why this is happening?
Thanks for any input.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Sage

Your hibiscus probably has "critters". I get upset with all the insecticides we have to use in Florida, but a little Sevin spray may cure your Hibiscus.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Veteran member

I'm guessing it might be a little dry.

I was doing some research on hibiscus a few weeks ago before our 1st threat of frost as I have a 6 footer on the northwest corner of my house. Last year it got nipped by frost and it took all summer for recovery to where it's blooming nice now. I wanted to know when's a good time to prune to make covering it managable. Well I missed the prunning time and the website I was reading strongly suggested NOT prunning before a cold spell.

ANYWAY one thing I saw in my reading was that they like low wet spots which gave me pause because my bush is high and next to the house (not terribly wet) but I guess the sprinkler gets it often enough.

Just do a google search on 'hibiscus' and you should find everything you need.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

Had the same problem with our hibiscus. Researched on computer and found that it could be normal "bud drop" or "critters." Take one of the buds, open it up and if the "critters" are there you will see them. They are pin-sized yellow worm like larvae. Don't remember their names but they develop into some type of fly. We use Massey--called them--they sprayed and cured the problem. Now we are in full bloom again. Good luck. We are new to Florida too and had no idea about the flowers, insects, etc. Quite a learning experience!
Old 11-29-2008, 11:54 AM

Thanks all. I'll check for critters, make sure it's well watered, then if all else fails, I'll call Massey.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:01 PM

Well, guess what? I have critters. I took one of the fallen buds, opened it and saw the tiny wee wormy things. I guess it's time for Massey.
This has to be the greatest site for information and knowledgeable people. I sure do appreciate all the great stuff I've learned here.
Thanks to all.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Gold member
Talking Caring for Hibiscus

Peazoup.....Hibiscus are beautiful and actually my favorite tropical plant...however they need watching. I have mostly had whitefly and aphids...easily cured by spraying horticultural oil on the plant. Most garden centers have it in bottles that attach to a hose and automatically measure the oil water ratio. It is easy and effective. They will die back a bit in January when we get the coldest weather..following that a bit of pruning is necessary in the spring and they will come back and be .lush and gorgeous all summer. I planted 2 small plants in March and they are now 5 feet tall and still blooming...cover them in the early frosts and they will bloom till January to the deeper frosts.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

FYI -- Best time to prune hibuscus is March and October. Trim it one-third each time.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
FYI -- Best time to prune hibuscus is March and October. Trim it one-third each time.
Thank you. That is good to know, and i'm glad that since we are only down there in May and October, I was ok with trimming it in October.

We have a few really nice big ones, and Jane was mildly irked at me when I trimmed all those pretty red flowers off when trimming during our last visit.

I did it like the first day or two of our trip, and now I know to wait towards the end of our stay so she can enjoy them a bit more.....oh well....

Frank D.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.