Question re: flowering bushes/trees

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Veteran member
Default Question re: flowering bushes/trees

Being from "up north" am familiarizing ourselves with the fauna of Florida. Can someone tell us what the flowering bushes/trees are in the median between LSL and Odell Circle. They look like lilacs! Can we grow lilacs in this climate???
Old 05-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenAjd View Post
Being from "up north" am familiarizing ourselves with the fauna of Florida. Can someone tell us what the flowering bushes/trees are in the median between LSL and Odell Circle. They look like lilacs! Can we grow lilacs in this climate???
You are most likely seeing crapemyrtle trees. I haven't been out that way to actually see what you are describing but The Villages has used many varieties of this tree throughout the community. Colors of the blooms range from white to lavender to many shades of pink and red. Depending on the variety these trees bloom from May to well into the summer. I am from the north, too, and this tree also reminds me of the beloved lilac that always provided us with beautiful flowers by Memorial Day.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Platinum member

Hi Jenajd,
I'm sorry to say we can't grow the lilacs you know and love in TV.

University of California has been attempting to create some warm weather lilacs ( for zone 9) at Descanso Gardens, but they look pretty scraggly, and don't have the fragrance we love so. Some things are better left alone.

You'll fall in love with lots of stuff here, including Florida fauna!
Old 05-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default CREPE mYRTLES

Crepes are beautiful and bloom a long time., but they are decidious if that is a concern. They lose their leaves in the winter. But they are beautiful.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 05-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

If the crape myrtle tree is not pruned, it is a much more beautiful tree and can become a full shade tree. Even in the winter, its bare branches are sleek and pretty, I think. When I see these trees so severely pruned down to the "knuckles" it makes me cringe.

The Villages Florida
Old 05-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
If the crape myrtle tree is not pruned, it is a much more beautiful tree and can become a full shade tree. Even in the winter, its bare branches are sleek and pretty, I think. When I see these trees so severely pruned down to the "knuckles" it makes me cringe.

The Villages Florida
K-9 Lovers, Thank you for posting that beautiful photo. What village was this photo taken in?
Old 05-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Veteran member

I've often heard it called "crepe murder" to severely prune them down like that.

That is a beautiful picture!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Veteran member
Smile Thank you for the replies...

Thanks!!! I'm glad to have this clarified. Some people have insisted that they're lilacs. NOT that I have to prove that I'm right! Just was curious as while I LOVE it here...there are some things I miss from "up north". Just one of the many adjustments to a major move!!
Old 05-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
K-9 Lovers, Thank you for posting that beautiful photo. What village was this photo taken in?
Sorry, the photo wasn't taken in TV, but I posted it just to be sure you and I were talking about the same plant.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:19 AM
Veteran member

Looks like it is...thanks for posting!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Being from the south, unfortunately, I don't think I have ever seen lilacs. I understand they have a wonderful scent, too. Have to put that on my bucket list.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Veteran member

If you are looking for plants that will grow in TV check here.
http://www.floridayards.org/fyplants/index.php
Old 05-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Thanks, elevatorman. I've added that link to "my favorites" because I'm just beginning a landscaping project. You have perfect timing!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Being from the south, unfortunately, I don't think I have ever seen lilacs. I understand they have a wonderful scent, too. Have to put that on my bucket list.
I'm from the North and have lived several times in the South. Nothing beats the scent of lilacs, BUT they only last about 2 weeks - crape myrtles (and I do think they are spelled with an "a") bloom for months - unfortunately some of the months are when I am in Ohio!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
I'm from the North and have lived several times in the South. Nothing beats the scent of lilacs, BUT they only last about 2 weeks - crape myrtles (and I do think they are spelled with an "a") bloom for months - unfortunately some of the months are when I am in Ohio!
Yes it is spelled with an "a". I also saw on the web where it can also be one word, instead of two. But, the dictionary spells it using two words! I think I need to revise my post! Perhaps that web site was incorrect!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.