Question re: flowering bushes/trees

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

I've always seen it with an "a" and with two words. I love all the different colors, the purples are magnificent. When we lived in Virginia I had one huge bright pink one that would have a pink carpet underneath from fallen petals. So beautiful. Had another little one that I could see from my bedroom. So lovely. Okay, so maybe I'll get one for my landscaping project.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Lilacs in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
I've always seen it with an "a" and with two words. I love all the different colors, the purples are magnificent. When we lived in Virginia I had one huge bright pink one that would have a pink carpet underneath from fallen petals. So beautiful. Had another little one that I could see from my bedroom. So lovely. Okay, so maybe I'll get one for my landscaping project.
Crape Myrtles are magnificent and when they get really large they make a great shade tree. You might also consider the Chaste Tree, it has flowers very similar to Lilac, but alas, no scent. If you google Chaste Tree it will give you an idea of what they can do for a landscape. Also, there is a great nursery in Citra called Taylor Nursery and they sell Chaste and other flowering trees which will go through our winter. Taylor Nurseries comes to the Garden Club North each late spring/early summer to give a lecture.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Sage

Back to the person whose never smelled lilacs....there is nothing like it! They bloom in May generally, at least in Minnesota, Wisconsin and northern IL and IA. Not sure where else actually, being from the midwest myself. They can bloom earlier if the weather is "off" as it's been this year up there. Fifties in February is unheard of!!! Two years ago they were nearly done by the end of April after a very mild end of winter and early spring. The bushes make for a great hedge as well. BUT nothing like a bouquet of lilacs in the house to smell great. Add that with peonies...another spring blooming plant.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Gold member

Aren't the bushes over at Tamarind Grove pool azaelia?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Platinum member

Yes, they are azaleas. Pretty, aren't they?

There are a few small saucer magnolias there too, they just finished showing their beautiful blooms. I'm watching for the agapanthus next!
(Right next to the mailboxes!)
Old 03-04-2012, 06:32 AM
Default Azelias

Azelia bushes are currently in full bloom. Maybe that was what you saw in the medians.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfarr View Post
Azelia bushes are currently in full bloom. Maybe that was what you saw in the medians.
Nope...Azelias are bushes and they're talking about trees! These are the flowering ones that look a bit like lilacs!! They're the crape myrtles...photos were shown a few posts back on this thread!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.