Questions about sodding...........

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Question Questions about sodding...........

I am thinking about doing some sodding/repair of the lawn here in TV. Is it too early to start this project or would it be better to wait until March? I would also like some ideas on where the best price for sod would be? I had one quote for 145/pallet (Empire Zoysia, sand-based) which didn't seem too unreasonable but, they wanted another 170 or so to deliver two pallets. If that is a good price for the sod, I wouldn't mind picking it up but have to find a trailer to haul it back in. I would also need to rent a small roto-tiller to prep the area for the sod.
I know it looks better to lay the sod all butted together with no gaps (instant lawn) but would there be anything wrong with checker-boarding the sod pieces (they're 16"x24") and letting them grow together making the coverage nearly double? They estimate coverage at 350-400 SqFt.
Input would be greatly appreciated.
- Irving Kristol
Old 02-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Give Rupert Cross (352/307-4847) a call. He might be able to save you the joy of doing the work yourself since he is really reasonable in his rates and knows his stuff. You can ask him about checkerboarding or just what he would charge to pick up and deliver the sod to you if you really want to dig up the old sod and put in the new.

Regardless, I wouldn't do it now, but I could be wrong in this. Again, ask Rupert.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macro View Post
I am thinking about doing some sodding/repair of the lawn here in TV. Is it too early to start this project or would it be better to wait until March? I would also like some ideas on where the best price for sod would be? I had one quote for 145/pallet (Empire Zoysia, sand-based) which didn't seem too unreasonable but, they wanted another 170 or so to deliver two pallets. If that is a good price for the sod, I wouldn't mind picking it up but have to find a trailer to haul it back in. I would also need to rent a small roto-tiller to prep the area for the sod.
I know it looks better to lay the sod all butted together with no gaps (instant lawn) but would there be anything wrong with checker-boarding the sod pieces (they're 16"x24") and letting them grow together making the coverage nearly double? They estimate coverage at 350-400 SqFt.
Input would be greatly appreciated.
I am not sure if it makes many difference but I would wait until the possibility of frost is over.
Checker boarding is an option but a neighbor tried it and had a very uneven lawn for a time. It eventually smoothed out but meantime he had very bumpy ride on his mower.
You might consider plugs.
I would advise talking to a professional.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

after what seems like ages of plugging here/plugging there, my neighbor has his lawn removed and the new one laid down 2 wks ago...it is syarting to green up nicely.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.