Recommendations for privacy plants?

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2017, 06:19 AM
Default Recommendations for privacy plants?

Building a new house and (like many here in The Villages), our lanai will back up to another lanai.

Looking for a plant that will be bushy and provide good privacy to plant across the back property line.

Went to two nurseries yesterday and are thinking of either a bottlebrush BUSH (not the weeping tree) or a Viburnum. The nurseries had these plants in 7 gallon size for $40 each. Planted at their recommended 3 feet apart, it would be about 17 plants ... around $1340.

I'm leaning toward the bottlebrush because I like the flowers and the softer leaves.

If anyone has any opinion, please help me out here. Also, any recommendations for good nurseries would be helpful.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Bottle Brush bush. Planted ours to use as a privacy screen down the side of our home. They are very fast growing and do need pruning or cutting back. But give great screen. Don't pay too much for them, shop around on the internet or the box stores. Buy small they grow really fast, birds and bees love the flowers and they give great shelter to the birds too.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-10-2017, 07:18 AM

I understand the need for some sort of barrier for privacy. Hopefully not everyone is as "curious" as our back neighbors. Unbelievable how intrusive our neighbor could be. If you find yourself with a similar neighbor you may also want to consider blinds on your lanai. You could probably get them for not much more than the price of the plants you're looking at and you wouldn't need to wait for them to grow, water or trim them. In the mean time you may come across a plant option you like better. The blinds will filter the light coming in which may be good if you get direct sun at any point of the day but does make it darker in the house all the time.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Just remember IF your going to plant them do not plant them in the drainage swail line. Also remember you have to trim the backside so another reason to stay off the property line. I to like the bottle brush and the shade idea.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count'n the days View Post
I understand the need for some sort of barrier for privacy. Hopefully not everyone is as "curious" as our back neighbors. Unbelievable how intrusive our neighbor could be. If you find yourself with a similar neighbor you may also want to consider blinds on your lanai. You could probably get them for not much more than the price of the plants you're looking at and you wouldn't need to wait for them to grow, water or trim them. In the mean time you may come across a plant option you like better. The blinds will filter the light coming in which may be good if you get direct sun at any point of the day but does make it darker in the house all the time.
We have a kissing lanai, also. I spend a great deal of time on the lanai because I love it out there. Hopefully our neighbors don’t think I’m being curious or in their business.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:37 AM
Sage

And you should read your deed restrictions . Mine say that you cannot define a property line with plantings. Also, if it is a utility easement, the power, phone, cable companies are within their rights to pull up anything you plant to access the easement or their lines.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

As stated above check with ARC, you will need to get approval for the plantings. From what I have seen in our neighborhood, you will need to plant almost next to your lanai as the space between lanais is quite limited. You can get inexpensive shades from Home Depot or Lowes. The installation is relatively easy if you attach to the aluminum screen frame, it is more complicated if you attach to the stucco, there is a steel frame under the stucco, which makes drilling a pain.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:57 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
Out of those two, I would choose the bottlebrush. Viburnum requires a lot more maintenance!
Besides being a lot of maintenance when the Viburnums are trimmed they don't provide good privacy. I removed the ones we had and placed with the Podocarpus since the neighbor behind us chose.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Gold member
Default Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertFirst! View Post
Building a new house and (like many here in The Villages), our lanai will back up to another lanai.

Looking for a plant that will be bushy and provide good privacy to plant across the back property line.

Went to two nurseries yesterday and are thinking of either a bottlebrush BUSH (not the weeping tree) or a Viburnum. The nurseries had these plants in 7 gallon size for $40 each. Planted at their recommended 3 feet apart, it would be about 17 plants ... around $1340.

I'm leaning toward the bottlebrush because I like the flowers and the softer leaves.

If anyone has any opinion, please help me out here. Also, any recommendations for good nurseries would be helpful.
You've stated you are having a new home built.
You might ask the builder about who is doing the landscaping, they should be able to advise you. Also, they can advise you about regulations, what is underground. You may well find that they can buy the plants for far less than you can. You will likely find that you need to file a plan and get a permit.

RE: bottle brush vs viburnum
I'm sure you realize they both have many similar but different plants in their group. We have a bottle brush, supplied by the builder so I do not know the exact variety but 3 foot spacing with this plant, would be far too close.
in four years our plant is 5-6 foot wide and about 10 foot high.
We also have viburnum-also installed by the builder. They too are tough as nails.

PRIVACY? Privacy does not exist in the villages.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:16 AM

Podocarpus bush is the best for privacy. We did 16 of them about 3 feet apart. As you drive thru the village watch for them and you'll see how they will look once mature. A little more costly but will give you what your looking for. Bottle brush, as they grow the lower and middle areas thin out.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:42 PM

Thank you to all who have responded. Lots of great thoughts here. I didn't realize I would need a permit. Thanks again!
Old 10-11-2017, 03:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertFirst! View Post
Thank you to all who have responded. Lots of great thoughts here. I didn't realize I would need a permit. Thanks again!

All the plants you mentioned can provide privacy. It’s largely a matter of personal taste.

I would encourage you to take your time. Don’t rush. Drive around and see what you really like a lot. Talk with the homeowners and ask questions. You will likely live with these plants a long time.

It’s very easy to plant something and have it grow much larger than you anticipated very quickly. Then you may hate them. Been there.

Another suggestion...have you considered European fan palm?
Old 10-11-2017, 06:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeriteri View Post
Podocarpus bush is the best for privacy. We did 16 of them about 3 feet apart. As you drive thru the village watch for them and you'll see how they will look once mature. A little more costly but will give you what your looking for. Bottle brush, as they grow the lower and middle areas thin out.
Absolutely correct!
There is nothing more dense than podocarpus when it matures.
In addition, the birds love the red berries.
Yes, they do cost more but in the long run, they are worth it.
Bottle brush? Eh. Just so-so.
Another choice might be ligustrum.

Happy shopping!
Old 10-12-2017, 08:32 AM

I like Fairview Farms. Just off 301. They are very helpful and reasonable. Bring a photo showing area you want to put shrubs/plants.
Good luck!
Old 11-05-2017, 12:00 PM

The best choice by FAR is Podocarpus for a myriad of reasons.
Closed Thread

Tags
nurseries, plants, plant, back, recommendations

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.