Remove Stone Mulch Before Applying Pine Straw?
Home

Menu

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Book Political Talk Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions FREE Static Cling Locations
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 08-19-2017, 04:01 PM

Default Remove Stone Mulch Before Applying Pine Straw?

We bought a home in the Village of Collier. Our shrub beds are mulched with red stone that I gather was a standard by the developer. We get a lot of weeds and such growing through it. One landscaper said the stones should be removed and replaced with the pine straw mulch the developer uses all over the place.

I know the pine straw needs to be applied annually. If we were to do this, do the red stones need to be removed before another mulch is put down?

Thx in advance!

Old 08-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acinonyx View Post
We bought a home in the Village of Collier. Our shrub beds are mulched with red stone that I gather was a standard by the developer. We get a lot of weeds and such growing through it. One landscaper said the stones should be removed and replaced with the pine straw mulch the developer uses all over the place.

I know the pine straw needs to be applied annually. If we were to do this, do the red stones need to be removed before another mulch is put down?

Thx in advance!

The developer only uses pine straw on it's new homes. Never red stone or any other stone or mulch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2017, 04:14 PM
Gold member

The stones should have a cloth under them to prevent weeks. This and the stones should be removed in my opinion. Have you though of spraying week killer every few months?
Old 08-19-2017, 05:30 PM
Sage

There will be weeds coming up with the pine straw or any other mulch....including stones both with or without weed mats.

It takes a regular maintenance of pulling and or spraying to keep beds weed free.

Unless you do not like the red stone, it is the more expensive, most durable mulch....with weed maintenance remains attractive. No annual replacement. No attraction or containing of bugs and other critters like pine straw.

It is an individual choice.

So if you decide to remove the rock, repair and or replace the weed mat before adding the pine straw. It does help with the proper maintenance.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:35 PM
Sage

Snakes love the pine straw. We use it, but need to be aware
Old 08-19-2017, 06:57 PM
Sage

We put down a double layer of the thickest weed block fabric we could find and covered it with 4" of yellow pea gravel and still we are dealing with heavy duty weeds. It has also come thru the test area on the side of the house I did with the pine straw after a double layer of weed block and 2" of stone and the pine straw on top of that. Just go over the stone instead of scraping it all up. We are not accustomed to the way things grow in Florida.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:57 AM
Veteran member

Stones are not mulch. They do not improve the soil because they cannot break down and they "bake" your plants in the sun.
As time goes by, they sink into the soil/sand and with the blowing wind, dirt ends up filling in the crevices giving weeds more opportunity to grow.

Pine straw is not the only mulch you can use. Alternatives would be wood chips, cypress mulch etc. Do not even consider shredded rubber!
I would remove the stones, put down a thick layer of newspaper ( yes, newspaper!), and a thick layer of weed block on top of that and then the mulch.
The newspaper will kill any up-and-coming weeds (no sunlight) and when it breaks down, will add nutrients to the existing soil.

No matter what you do, you will always get an occasional weed, but they are easy to simply pull when first growing.
Good Luck with whatever you do!
Old 08-20-2017, 06:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Snakes love the pine straw. We use it, but need to be aware
We replaced all of our pine straw with stone (Seminole Chip, to be precise), and I can assure you, snakes aren't picky. We have them. Our landscaper installed weed mat, which helps prevent stones from "sinking". As far as the "burn your plant" rumor, in three years, I have not observed this occurring. Our plants, bushes and trees are thriving.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:03 AM
Gold member

You will get some weeds regardless of what you do. If you like the look of the red stones then keep them. Stories about stones "baking" plants is urban myth. Everything we have grows great with stones. Go buy a one-gallon hand pump sprayer and a bottle of concentrated weed and grass killer. Mix it in the pump sprayer according to the directions and walk around and spray weeds once a week. It will take you 5 minutes. Don't bother with the pre-mixed weed and grass killer in a disposable sprayer. Here is a link for a sprayer:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RL-Flo-Ma...&wl13=&veh=sem

Here is a link for concentrated weed and grass killer, there are lots of them out there:

HDX 32 oz. Weed and Grass Killer Concentrate-77740 - The Home Depot

If you do go with pine straw, you will still have to spray for weeds. If you stay on top of the weed control, there is very little effort involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acinonyx View Post

Thx in advance!

Last edited by biker1; 08-20-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:33 AM

bought a battery powered sprayer (rechargeable lithium ion battery), and it makes the spraying easier, but does cost a little more. I have also used a product called Preen which helps keep the weeds from germinating, but you will still get weeds.

Tags
straw, pine, mulch, red, stones