Replaced the Hunter with a wireless Bhyve irrigation controller

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2021, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNolander View Post
I want to get one. I’m looking at b-hyve , rachio, and hunter hydrawise WiFi controllers. I want one that can notify me if there is a broken head or a leak somewhere. Which one do you recommend? And do I call an irrigation company to do the installation? Appreciate your guidance!
A separate flow monitor device like Flume is needed to detect leaks and broken heads.

Flume Water | Smart Home Water Monitor | Water Leak Detector
Old 06-30-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
I have answered all the questions and set up the 4 zones with Smart Watering.

For those with the wifi Bhyve and have used smart watering, how have you found the results?

Keep it or use a custom program?

Thanks!

sportsguy
I put in an 8 zone system in Jan 2019. Love it. I’m a snow bird and it’s nice being able to control it from up north. Works much better than the Hunter IMO.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:51 AM

What is the model number of the controller everyone likes? I found this one on Amazon -- Orbit 57946 B-hyve Smart 6-Zone Indoor/Outdoor Sprinkler Controller
Old 07-01-2021, 06:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,566 Times in 922 Posts

I installed a Hunter WiFi controller. Love it - control everything from my phone/iPad. Comes with a lot of details on historical use - connects to weather stations
I did not install, had the company who installed my system do it.
Here’s a link

X2™ | Hunter Industries
Old 07-02-2021, 03:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnInTwo View Post
What is the model number of the controller everyone likes? I found this one on Amazon -- Orbit 57946 B-hyve Smart 6-Zone Indoor/Outdoor Sprinkler Controller
If you only have 4 zones, the $69 B-hyve at Lowes works great. Very easy self install. The app is easy to use. Automatically connects to weather station. I wish I had replaced my Hunter controller years ago.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdog View Post
If you only have 4 zones, the $69 B-hyve at Lowes works great. Very easy self install. The app is easy to use. Automatically connects to weather station. I wish I had replaced my Hunter controller years ago.
After reading about WiFi sprinkler controllers here, I bought a Bhyve 4-station in Lowe’s. However, I hesitated to install it because there are no manual controls on the Bhyve.The only way to access the controller is via WiFi or Bluetooth and a smartphone or iPad. Then I realized, you’re really getting old and thinking like a Luddite. The question is, does anyone really miss the traditional access on the original Hunter controllers?
Old 09-12-2021, 03:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
After reading about WiFi sprinkler controllers here, I bought a Bhyve 4-station in Lowe’s. However, I hesitated to install it because there are no manual controls on the Bhyve.The only way to access the controller is via WiFi or Bluetooth and a smartphone or iPad. Then I realized, you’re really getting old and thinking like a Luddite. The question is, does anyone really miss the traditional access on the original Hunter controllers?
You can also control it via desktop or laptop. I use my smartphone and tablet. It is much, much easier to change settings that way then a traditional panel. Plus the convenience of adding or overriding a rain delay or adding extra water to a zone from your living room. I always found the old Hunter controllers difficult to figure out. The Bhyve is a breeze. Plenty of youtube videos out there for tips and tricks. Install is very easy but make sure you take a picture of the old wiring first so you don't get the colors/zones mixed up.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

The 6 zone allows programming from the controller.
Closed Thread

Tags
watering, smart, bhyve, replaced, found

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.