Replacing Pine Straw with River Rock

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2016, 09:17 AM

My neighbor's yard looks great. For the first 2 years they had pine straw which they later removed and put in natural Pine Bark (with no weed barrier underneath). It seems the acid loving plants that TV plants for you love the pine straw/bark, which act as a natural acidic fertilizer. Their yard looks lush even in the winter :-)
Old 05-18-2016, 06:56 PM
Gold member
Default Laughs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
In our TV house for almost 3 years. Had the builder pine straw all around. When designing our new landscaping with stacked walls etc, decided we want a red/brown stone look for rocks, inside the cream stacked walls. Got quotes - initially I preferred red lava rock, as the cost seemed about 1/3 of river rock. I did our backyard, with lava rock-bagged from HD, and it looked just great around the plants and patio.
When we talked with landscape co's for front qoutes - one said NO to lava rock as it developed blackish mold over time due to the pores. That said we went with reddish river rock for our front - 2+years later, the rock and front landscape looks like new and beautiful - the back, yes...blackish coverage on much of the lava rock - oh well...live with it.
Not sure who is laughing more. The people who sell manure, the people who sell pine needles, or the people who sell rocks. We still have pine needles. Our house is 2400 sq foot. I put down 4 bales of pine straw a year to replace what has rotted into the soil. Not at all a major expense they are about $4.00 a bale at home depo. I pull weeds with a long handled garden claw. I do not need to bend my bad back. You could not do this with stone. The claw will tear the weed preventer fabric.

I like your thought LIVE WITH IT. If you fight mother nature YOU WILL LOOSE

HAPPY DAYS.
Closed Thread

Tags
river, rock, straw, pine, recommendations, husband, replacing, replace

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.