Restrictions

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2018, 06:23 PM
Default Restrictions

Are there any landscaping restrictions relative to the side property lines? If so where do I find them. I am especially interested in the stone walls which surround a bed... in this instance about a foot high. The new landscaping being installed comes within 9 in of the property line. The max mower that could be used would be 48 in almost 40 in ch would be on our property when mowing the neighbors lawn... does not seem prudent to me. Anyone know where to find the documented restrictions.... this is in Lake county
Old 11-05-2018, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

I have a similar question so I'll add it here. It's probably not something anyone thinks of, but I think of weird stuff. I was looking at one of the homes on TV Homefinders listings; this one: Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale

If you click on the different photos, you'll see one that shows the shared back yard where 4 or 5 houses meet. The landscaping of hedges and small trees is absolutely lovely, and provides some privacy for each home.

Questions about this: WHO would be responsible for the upkeep on that patch of landscaping? What if the person responsible, would rather just tear it all down and not have to deal with the upkeep? Is that person then responsible to restore the privacy that his neighbors paid for when they moved in?

Some people are back yard people. I'm one of them. I LIKE having a back yard to hang out in. But I might not want to have to watch Mrs. Smith in her bathrobe on her lanai, bending over to clean the litter box for her cat, while I"m trying to enjoy my morning coffee. I might not want to BE Mrs. Smith, having to put on a bra with a proper shirt just because I know Mr. Jones across the yard likes watching me bend over to clean the cat box on MY lanai.

Back yards are great to share, when you're in the mood to share them. When you're not, landscaping goes a long way to offer at least the facade of privacy.

So who's responsible, if you moved into a place BECAUSE of the beautiful back yard landscaping, and that landscaping is on someone else's property and they choose to rip it all down?

Can they rip it all down? Do they have to replace it with something? What if the builders put the landscaping there? Does the back yard neighbor have any right to maintain some privacy?
Old 11-05-2018, 07:41 PM

Every district maybe different but in district 6 stackwalls must be 3 feet from the property line. The information is readily available on the district website.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 11-05-2018, 08:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomterrif View Post
Are there any landscaping restrictions relative to the side property lines? If so where do I find them. I am especially interested in the stone walls which surround a bed... in this instance about a foot high. The new landscaping being installed comes within 9 in of the property line. The max mower that could be used would be 48 in almost 40 in ch would be on our property when mowing the neighbors lawn... does not seem prudent to me. Anyone know where to find the documented restrictions.... this is in Lake county
You are going to get many OPINIONS that may not pertain to your lot in Lake County. The best advice is for you to visit the district office in Lake Sumter Landing, above Starbucks. Ask your questions, bring sketches, pictures on phone,etc. They are very nice and should be helpful. Also, maybe call first - I'm not sure how different things are in Lake County vs. Sumter. There also is Lake County, Lady Lake; and Lake County, Fruitland Park. There might be a distinctive difference. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2018, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Whatever you do, don't expect the advice on here to keep you out of trouble with ARC or the CDD. I have yet to hear anyone use the defense, "I saw it on TOTV" much less not have to bear the expense to bring whatever you do into compliance.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-05-2018, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

You should be able to get specific info on your lot from your deed restrictions, and these will be the same for your neighbor, otherwise, call lake County and ask. I am going to make an assumption that the villages Architectural review (Community standards) 352-751-3912 is still the authority in lake county, so call them with your questions.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

This is probably the biggest abused restrictions period. Planting in the rear yard drainage are, side yard clearance, raised bed locations. Don't think there are many yards that do comply period.
I have 5 houses around mine that are out of compliance big time but I won't say a word unless I enjoy not seeing their homes.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:19 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

You can download your deed restrictions here:
Deed Restrictions - Lake County

Old 11-07-2018, 07:16 AM

wall to lot line is 3 feet minimum. There is no 'shared' property. Who owns the property can do as they please w/ ARC approval in removals, plantings. Sometimes folks impede paid for view alleys to water or golf courses so sometimes you can get the ARC to require removal of un approved plantings.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:23 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

The ARC requires you to be 3ft off the property line with retaining walls no matter the district. It was 2ft a few years ago but has since changed. So some homes are grandfathered in. This is only enforced by a complaint.
Full Landscape and Hardscape
Old 11-07-2018, 07:20 PM
Default Restrictions

Thanks everyone for their assistance.... this has been an eye opener.... many of the landscapers apparently abuse these restrictions. This one told me he had the layout approved.... when he was asked for the approval he did not have it.... the most egregious wall is being moved. However there are two more but I do not want to irritate my neighbor... in fact one of mine encroaches on the 3 ft limit for about 2 linear feet. Cycling around Pine Hills and Pine Ridge the number of violations is mind boggling... my advice do not trust any of these landscapers... or ask to see the Villages approval
Closed Thread

Tags
property, restrictions, find, landscaping, mower

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.