River Birch Tree

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2021, 08:17 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,074 Times in 431 Posts

I had planted two river birch trees at our prior home in Missouri. They are very fast growing, they are beautiful, and they provide terrific shade. But, there is a cost to all of that. I did not mind the fact that they shed leaves...that's what deciduous trees do. It was the shedding of limbs and twigs that did me in. I'm not talking a handful here and there, either. Numerous times throughout the year the trees would drop hundreds and hundreds of small branches, and even some larger ones. While this is "normal" for a river birch, it turned out to be a maintenance chore I would not want to repeat. There are better choices.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donegalkid View Post
From the University of Florida website (Gardening Solutions page):

“River Birch

Peeling bark of a river birch
River birch is a good choice for the North or Central Florida gardener who wants a fast-growing tree.

River birch typically reaches about 35 feet in height, with a network of fine branches making up a narrow to oval-shaped crown. Its bark is extremely showy and peels off in attractive sheets of beige or creamy white, and the leaves are triangular. It adds nice color and interest to the winter landscape.”

River Birch - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
Our River Birch had a very wide spread.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:33 AM

First of all I'm in Virginia. Florida may be different, of course. My next door neighbor has one that was planted in 2001. It is HUGE!. Over the spring it sprays sap & drops these small brown things that break apart when you touch or sweep them. Fall, of course the leaves are everywhere. Throughout the winter, especially on windy days twigs fall everywhere. All winter and into the spring we were constantly picking up twigs. It's a beautiful tree, but all year round it is dropping something and making a mess.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:09 AM

Weak trees.
I dropped on at my house, right down the middle of the driveway.
perfect.
This 60 footer hit the ground and exploded into wood chips.
Horrible trees. Nice to look at but terrible to own
Old 08-23-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2B-Villager View Post
We want to tree with a little character. We are looking at planting a river birch tree behind the birdcage of our home. I have been reading that birch trees can get extremely big and messy, but all the birch trees I have seen around TV seem more manageable size-wise. Anyone with any experience with this type of tree in their yard?
We had them in front and back of our house (already there when we moved in). I thought they were nice when I first moved in but I soon hated those trees. VERY messy trees, constantly dropping branches so requires a lot of cleaning up twigs. Roots can go 20 feet or more. We eventually took them down. I would not recommend them.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:53 AM

According to the UF/IAS Gardening Solutions website:

River Birch

River birch is a good choice for the North or Central Florida gardener who wants a fast-growing tree.

River birch typically reaches about 35 feet in height, with a network of fine branches making up a narrow to oval-shaped crown. Its bark is extremely showy and peels off in attractive sheets of beige or creamy white, and the leaves are triangular. It adds nice color and interest to the winter landscape.

River birch can thrive in full or part sun, and can tolerate a variety of soils, although it prefers moist, even very wet areas. It’s moderately drought tolerant and requires little or no pruning, making it a fairly low-maintenance choice if located in the right spot. Look for the variety named ‘Duraheat’ for maximum success.

UF/IFAS Sites

Betula nigra Dura-Heat™, Dura-Heat Birch
Florida Plant ID: River Birch
UF/IFAS Publications

Betula nigra: River Birch
Betula nigra 'Heritage': 'Heritage' River Birch
Also on Gardening Solutions

Moonlight Gardens
Standout Trees
Old 08-24-2021, 09:33 AM

fast grower, first to loose leaves in fall/no color, last to leaf in the summer, requires LOTS of water, beautiful when in and out of season. I've had them at two houses. Love them despite the above. They get big. Two main varieties: single trunk and "clump"
Old 08-24-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
We want to tree with a little character. We are looking at planting a river birch tree behind the birdcage of our home. I have been reading that birch trees can get extremely big and messy, but all the birch trees I have seen around TV seem more manageable size-wise. Anyone with any experience with this type of tree in their yard?
I love River Birch trees. We had two in South Carolina but, like many, we planted them too close to the house. We thought we gave them ample room but in five years, ended up having them removed. Also, you need to be weary of the roots. They will tear up sidewalks, driveways and foundations if too close. I grew up in East Tennessee and had a creek that ran in front of the house with several River Birch’s along the edge. Perfect environment for them.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Far from an expert but,"I have seen around TV seem more manageable size-wise." suggests they do not live long here. We had a huge one in zone 5 our soil was ph 6.5 slightly acid.

Others mentioned dogwoods. We had two dogwoods that when in bloom, people would stop to admire them. There are diseases killing them off in the United States. I replaced one several times and the replacement, supposed to be disease resistant also died in a couple of years. They require acidic soil. Our soil is loaded with lime and they are actually a undergrowth tree-partial shade. There are a couple in the back of Eisenhower rec center partially shaded by oaks. Due to oaks I assume the soil is more acid than our typical lot. They seem to be in decline.
Closed Thread

Tags
birch, tree, river, trees, manageable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.