Rock Advice

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Send a message via ICQ to Lynn222
Default Rock Advice

I am a new Villager living in Buttonwood and have a rock question. I want to replace the mulch with rocks but I heard that plants don't get sufficient water with rocks. Is this true? This is hard to believe since I see so many homes with rocks but I would like your opinions.

Also, can you recommend a "rock person"?

Lynn Baldacci
Life is not necessarily drawing a good hand but playing a bad hand well.
Baltimore, Maryland
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Richmond, Virginia
The Villages...met a man the first month - got married 2-1/2 years later...who knew I would move to The Villages and meet a husband!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

That is not true. We have rock and plants. As long as, and most good landscapers do, put the weed barrier down, that allows your irrigation water to go through and prevent its evaporation.
We run our irrigation once a week and all our plants and palms do fine.
You are making a wise choice. Mulch, pine straw etc is a money pit, that is labor intensive to keep up!

Army Guy
Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 AM

We used J&G Landscape - Josh Coyle - 352-217-6294. He was informative, honest, work was excellent and price was very competitive.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:32 AM

Thank you. I called Josh and he is coming tomorrow to meet with me.

Lynn Baldacci
Baltimore, Maryland
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Richmond, Virginia
The Villages...met a man the first month - got married 2-1/2 years later...who knew I would move to The Villages and meet a husband!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Recently the POA had a master gardener speak and he suggested that rocks are not good ground cover since they conduct lots of heat and are not good for plants. If you do use rocks pull them away from the plants and add mulch.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Rock Advice

Rock advice...I sought advice from a rock and was shown that my rocks have not streesed my plants . In fact they have thrived for 5 years. I am not saying master gardner is wrong but perhaps there are other elements added to the rock that create this situation? I do know that mulch, etc just gets blown away and season after season it has to be freshened up. Guess it just a personal choice??
Old 04-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Gold member

The Twice on Tuesday class said they always prefer natural products that compost back into the soil but nothing wrong with the rocks. The help to hold moisture like the other mulch. We have rock in front with barrier and love it. Very little weeds. In the back we have cedar mulch and there are more weeds with that. All our plants are thriving in both locations.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 04-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Sage

As you can see, there are advantages and disadvantages to both kinds of mulch. I have rock as I've always been a little leery about wood type stuff against the house. (Probably left over from CA and the termites!) I also like rock because it does retain heat and I have some plants that only survive our winters because the rocks help heat the soil around the roots and keep them alive during our frost/freeze periods. BUT, you have to keep the rocks about an inch or so away from the trunk/stems of plant as the excess heat in the summer can burn the tissue and damage the plants, even grown palms.

So, do what you think will be best for you and take whatever steps are necessary to ensure your plants like it, too.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

rock seems to work great as noted above, and look around.
I use wood mulch.
The florida extension service suggests it as not stressing the plants as much (less heat and more water retained), and while it's a couple/few hours a year to replace, it's a lot less costly upfront. Also, it decomposes and feeds the plants. My landscaping looks great. Last, you can toss prunings etc onto the wood and it's no big deal, it decomposes too. It looks messier on the rock.
All just my opinion.

But, rocks are no maintenance, once and done.
And if I get where I don't want to fool with it, I might go that way.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Default Rock Advice Follow Up

Thank you to everyone for all the great advice. I ended up going up with J&G Landscape Company, Josh Coyle. They did an excellent job. Did exactly what was promised, required no down payment, did the work quickly and efficiently, and cleaned up nicely. I recommend them highly.

Lynn Baldacci
Baltimore, Maryland
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Richmond, Virginia
Old 04-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Rock advice...I sought advice from a rock and . . .
Old 04-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default The initial cost of rock can be more expensive than natural mulch

but in the long run works out to be more cost effective since it does not deteriorate and it performs the same as natural mulches. Just remember to NOT pile the rocks up against ANY plantings. Make a circle at the base of the plant/shrub/tree that is 6-12 inches away from the base of the plant....allows better breathing.

Another point about type of rocks. Of course some are much more expensive than others but you buy what you like and can afford, however, over the years I have heard from different landscapers to avoid lava type rocks. They are pourous...tend to trap water that can stagnate. Supposedly also harbors fungus/disease/etc. Just passing on 3rd + info regarding lava rocks.

btk
Old 04-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Default Excellent Landscaper

Based on Lynn's experience, I also called J&G Landscaping to spread rocks to replace the mulch in our yard. Josh came promptly, gave me a very fair estimate and made great suggestions that improved our original idea. His crew arrived earlier than expected and worked hard in the heat. They prepared the garden with weed mat, clipped bushes, and installed a block wall that was done beautifully. River rocks were then spread in a thick layer that should last a long time. They then cleaned up and left no mess.
We highly recommend J&G Landscaping 217-6294.

Paul and Arleen
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.