Rock flower bed suggestions

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2020, 06:20 AM
Default Rock flower bed suggestions

Planning on removing pine straw and replace w rock. Any suggestions on a good person or company that is fair in pricing ??

(Too many weeds growing threw the pine straw)

TY in advance for sharing ideas.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:25 AM
Veteran member

I have done this. My big suggestion is do not use white rock like I did. It gets dirty very easily. Make sure you put matting underneath and the matting overlaps. I put colorful pots with flowers on top so I am not making holes in the matting. I do use roundup and Preen.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

when we had rock beds we'd find old snake skins in the bed on occasion

slithering across the rough surface of the rocks makes it easier for them shed their old skin

we're just not into providing an attraction for them, so we're back to pine bark beds
Old 08-23-2020, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

I would advise you to use smaller rocks, like pea stone. The smaller the rocks, the tighter they pack together. Although rocks will never prevent weeds, tightly packed smaller stones will block weeds more effectively than larger rocks with space between them. Also, putting a weed barrier over existing weeds is worse than no barrier at all. The weeds will just grow through the barrier and the mat will prevent you from pulling the weeds out and getting the root. If you put down a barrier be certain to remove all the weeds, roots included, before placing the barrier. Good luck with your project.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

You will still get weeds i the rock garden, we actually had LESS weeds with mulch, and I am sorry the we removed the mulch and put in rock.................
Old 08-23-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilorilori View Post
Planning on removing pine straw and replace w rock. Any suggestions on a good person or company that is fair in pricing ??

Well apparently nobody read your question!! You were asking for recommendations for a person or company to do this and they just gave you their opinion as to whether to do it or not!! I had a stone wall put up in my front and I have white stones. I have not seen a snake they did put down a black mat for weeds..we have few and far between weeds we get sprayed every month. I will get beat up for this, but we did hire Good Neighbors. Now the landscaping guys did an awesome job. They took a day and a half carefully placing the stone wall and plants. I get many compliments. They do come every week and cut the grass. One time in the storms we were missed, I called and they came the next day. I unfortunately have to call and remind them to spray every month. But I love the white stones They don’t look dirty I think moss and all that other stuff looks dirty. I can’t recommend a landscaper cause everyone complains about everybody. So you just have to take a chance. I have heard complaints about Dean’s, Massey. But I get lots of compliments about my yard
Old 08-24-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilorilori View Post

Stone and matting work....as well as they can. We were advised NOT to get pure white stone as that will eventually look very dirty. We went with a salt and pepper stone. It has a little sparkle in it, too. Looks nice. Many compliments. Our bed has matting and is sprayed every week for weeds. They have been virtually non-existent but I expect them. Also don’t notice snake skins. All that being said, we’ve only had this landscaping since June.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:53 AM

Most weeds are not coming thru matting. They are growing in the dirt That accumulates on top of the matting. Weed spores/seeds and dirt are blown in by the wind on top of matting. I suppose.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:29 AM

TerraScapes. Very knowledgeable and professional. They do good work. They did a bunch of work for me and it cost me a decent sum of cash. Unfortunately I can’t tell you if that amount was reasonable or not as I had nothing to which to compare it.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:31 AM

On a similar note, does anyone know a person or company that pulls weeds? Our regular yard service people do not. Any recommendations?
Old 08-24-2020, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdesensi View Post
Most weeds are not coming thru matting. They are growing in the dirt That accumulates on top of the matting. Weed spores/seeds and dirt are blown in by the wind on top of matting. I suppose.
Very true and they are easy to pull out since the roots are only on top of the mat.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:44 AM

Jason Schmidt Landscaping. Not only do they do great work, they take extra care to avoid impacting your neighbors during the installation. We have seen several others who do not.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:49 AM

We’ve used a mother/daughter team for weed pulling. They’ve done a good job, are prompt and reasonable.
Jean & Barbara 352-257-0614
Old 08-24-2020, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
when we had rock beds we'd find old snake skins in the bed on occasion

slithering across the rough surface of the rocks makes it easier for them shed their old skin

we're just not into providing an attraction for them, so we're back to pine bark beds
You really think that snakes don’t crawl under and through the pine straw? 🙄🙄
Old 08-24-2020, 06:56 AM
Default Weed Pulling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedoster View Post
On a similar note, does anyone know a person or company that pulls weeds? Our regular yard service people do not. Any recommendations?
We’ve used a mother/daughter team, Jean & Barbara for weed pulling.
They do a good job, are prompt and reasonable. 352-257-0614
Closed Thread

Tags
rock, straw, pine, suggestions, sharing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.