Rock flower bed suggestions

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2020, 06:59 AM

Kerry Cherry it's a family owned local group. Shes a doll and works together with a team They just did rock beds on our our neighbors yard and will do work for me soon. 352-321-2451 or 352-617-0793
Old 08-24-2020, 07:06 AM

Luke’s Landscape our of Wildwood. We thought they were reasonably priced and good.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:16 AM
Default Landscaping company

My wife and I just redid all our landscaping with “Thompson Landscaping owned by Edwards A Thompson( degree in Landscaping Design) -
(352-895-7074) we were very pleased with his work. Ed Helped us in selecting the plants, layout and stone selection.
Yes weeds do still show up along the edges of the flower beds.
Regards.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:25 AM
Default Too Many weeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilorilori View Post
Planning on removing pine straw and replace w rock. Any suggestions on a good person or company that is fair in pricing ??

(Too many weeds growing threw the pine straw)

TY in advance for sharing ideas.

Lori - we did this five years ago, now the weeds are back! I am removing all the rock, digging out the torpedo grass roots, spraying with RoundUp (very carefully) and this time putting down EXTRA HEAVY weed cloth! Previous weed cloth decomposed and was useless at keeping weeds out! Now I'm putting back the rock and hope this does the trick at keeping the weeds from growing up through the weed cloth and rock 'mulch'.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:22 AM
Default Landscaping Company

I used Brothers Landscaping.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:26 AM

I also recommend Jason Schmidt Landscaping, 352-425-6361. They did a paver patio for us last month along with creating an additional rock bed for a small palm. They are very professional, courteous and always returned calls. The work looks great. I don’t know how reasonable they are in comparison to others as we didn’t check. I will say if you pick red Seminole stone, it is the most expensive stone available. We used red Seminole to match existing landscaping. 2 yards of Stone was $538. Give them a call, estimates are free. Good luck on your project!
Old 08-24-2020, 08:34 AM
Default Luke's Landscaping

We had Luke put down matting and stone. He does a great job and is reasonable.
Luke's Landscape at The Villages
Old 08-24-2020, 08:43 AM

You will get weeds even if you use rock in your landscape beds. Using rock makes it very difficult to change out plants that may fail, make it difficult to work on irrigation pipes that may break. Rock in your landscape beds also collects fallen leaves and plant debris that gets caught in the rock and is difficult to remove. The debris builds up over time and will become unsightly as it begins to cover the rock. Utilizing rock in your landscape is not an ultimate solution.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:24 AM
Default I used Jamies Landscaping. Comes highly recommended.

Jamie put down an industrial grade weed mat under my stones that is much much better than the cheap stuff you by at HD or Lowes. Whatever you do, do not buy a cheap grade weed mat! It makes all of the difference in the world!
You can never get rid of weeds entirely, but it cuts the maintenance way way down. A once-a -week 10 minute walk around with a herbicide will keep your landscaping weed free. Easy. Plus, once the rock settles and you have filled in the low spots, you do not have to add any more. Once you have the rock down in a thick layer, get about 4 or 5 - 5 gallon buckets of rock to fill in any low spots or new plantings. After that, you are set for life.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:48 AM

I can also recommend Jason Schmidt Landscapers. They removed my bark, installed the weed barrier, and laid the stone. Very efficient and clean.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:40 PM
Default Rock Beds

We love having small rocks in our landscaping instead of pine straw or mulch which need frequent replacing. A few weeds get in, but a little Roundup is easy to use. We chose a light multicolored rock with a darker curbing for the edging. Jamie’s Landscaping did a great job.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:35 PM

Ours was done 6 years ago, can’t remember who did it. Would highly suggest the stone BUT make sure you apply to ACC for approval prior. There have been to many instances lately where home owners are being turned in for improper “improvements” and they have been made to remove landscape.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:07 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

Lukes is very good.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
I have done this. My big suggestion is do not use white rock like I did. It gets dirty very easily. Make sure you put matting underneath and the matting overlaps. I put colorful pots with flowers on top so I am not making holes in the matting. I do use roundup and Preen.
Good advice. NO white rock, think you will be disappointed. Know rock will not solve weed problems. Matting under is GREAT advice, overlap definitely get the treated kind at H Depot, but STILL expect WEEDS. They get through anything, ANYTHING ! Take some time to figure cost. When they talk so much for so many tons, you will be shocked at the TINY pile they bring which is many TONS ! Or, if you don't want to do the hauling to the actual location yourself (they dump in on the drive or where you indicate), then you need to plan on many more $$$ for them to do it all. If you do it, it is easy to underestimate and think because they are quoting you for many tons, it's going to be a large pile of rock.... NOT ! LOL ! But, it's not as costly as it is buying it a few sacks at a time at HD, Lowes, or WM.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
You will still get weeds i the rock garden, we actually had LESS weeds with mulch, and I am sorry the we removed the mulch and put in rock.................
Ditto ! Wish I had not, and it was a lot of work ! Weeds STILL get through the barrier, the TREATED barrier. The one advantage is I was spending so much on replacing the bark so often, seems inexpensive until you start adding up all the $3.00 or $4.00 sacks it take year after year. For that part, rock does save $$$.
Closed Thread

Tags
rock, straw, pine, suggestions, sharing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.