Rock Yard

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2018, 06:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Due dilligence means read the deed restrictions BEFORE you decide to buy. So sure, I'll get my own copy of them at the closing. But I expect to have access to them to read them before I put in an offer. If I'm paying for restrictions, I have the legal right to know what those restrictions are before I sign the papers.

And again - I have no problem with the concept of restrictions. I don't know how many different ways, and different posts, I have to say that before it sinks in with some of you people.
All one need do is ask for a copy of the restrictions from the sales rep, or ask how to see them on-line. If one does not do that, well, then they don't get to read them before closing I guess.

Also, one should consider long and hard about whether or not TV is the place for them. We are a large community with lots of things to get irritated with, if one chooses to.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Due dilligence means read the deed restrictions BEFORE you decide to buy. So sure, I'll get my own copy of them at the closing. But I expect to have access to them to read them before I put in an offer. If I'm paying for restrictions, I have the legal right to know what those restrictions are before I sign the papers.

And again - I have no problem with the concept of restrictions. I don't know how many different ways, and different posts, I have to say that before it sinks in with some of you people.
I remember when I first started on this Forum about a decade ago. I asked some very direct questions on many subjects and questioned how things were done, as I thought this whole place must have some scam going on. I asked if anybody KNEW the Morses, what were they up to? How were the houses built? Were they built shoddily? Did the residents vote on things, who controlled how much was charged for amenities, etc, etc, etc,

I also remember getting mowed down by people who were really irritated by my questions. People wondering if I was a troll, etc. I was told that there were other places to live and no one was twisting my arm. I was told a lot and it didn't seem very welcoming and kind and hospitable to me.

Now I have become one of "you people" who love this place, the atmosphere, the structure, the way it is run and I am annoyed big time if I hear it criticized.

Please check us out good. It IS lower paradise. I think you will see why we smart folks chose this place. I hope to welcome you home.

NO. I don't sell real estate and I still have NEVER met a Morse, and I don't get a dollar for everyone I rope in to buy here, like my friends accuse me of back home.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We have rock in our beds at this house, I think our shrubs do not do as well as our other house with pine straw
Old 07-21-2018, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

You (as I have) will just have to get used to those who seem to have their knee hit their chins, anytime an even perceived criticism of Da Family...is expressed.

Oftentimes, they're the type that seem incapable of emotionally dealing with changes, think that their particular generation is perfect, newer ones are inferior, like to lecture... and at their age that's certainly isn't going to 'change' now.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

I too had heard that plants "burn" or don't do as well in rock, as opposed to pine straw or mulch. I can attest that every single one of our plants, bushes, shrubs and trees are completely contained in rock islands, for the last four years, and they are thriving.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
I too had heard that plants "burn" or don't do as well in rock, as opposed to pine straw or mulch. I can attest that every single one of our plants, bushes, shrubs and trees are completely contained in rock islands, for the last four years, and they are thriving.
Ours too. I sort of "debated" with my husband when he wanted to put in rocks and retaining walls, but everything is doing fine. Still get weeds though. We have grass lawn and rock planting beds.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-13-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,614 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
You can do whatever you want BUT if someone complains about what you've done to ARC they will investigate and IF you are not in compliance you will be given a deadline to come into compliance period. They are the final word so be sure to get approval from them. If you ride around you will see MANY people who are not in compliance BUT until someone complains nothing is done. Check with the ARC period.
I'm not sure if this compliance system is good or bad, but a lot of people don't understand it. Most of the courtyard villas in my neighborhood have had rock yards installed with no ARC approval, and, in many cases, by unlicensed contractors, or by the homeowner. I think that many newcomers just assume that their neighbors are in compliance, or they feel uncomfortable complaining. Personally, I don't care what others do with their lawns.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm not sure if this compliance system is good or bad, but a lot of people don't understand it. Most of the courtyard villas in my neighborhood have had rock yards installed with no ARC approval, and, in many cases, by unlicensed contractors, or by the homeowner. I think that many newcomers just assume that their neighbors are in compliance, or they feel uncomfortable complaining. Personally, I don't care what others do with their lawns.
Oh I agree 100%. All it takes is one person to have a problem in a neighborhood and then it snowballs. Better to have approval and be safe then not have approval and cost you extra monies.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
Sounds like your new neighbors are just going to love having you.
IMHO, your remark was not offensive but amusing.
Because we all know neighbors that would take offense at the drop of a hat.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Deed restrictions allow homeowners to do what they want, within the parameters set out by the association/covenant/developer/condo management bureau/etc.

So if you want to have a rock garden, and it's a deal-breaker, you need to know which sections of the community a rock garden is allowed. And even then, you need to know which kinds of rocks and plants are not allowed, so you don't end up having to retcon all the work you just did, at your own expense.

It's better to know in advance what IS allowed, and what is NOT allowed, and what MIGHT be allowed if you got permission in advance, than to find out after you've already paid to do it how you like.
Sounds about right.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Not sure why it would be a problem for the homeowner or unlicensed contractor to lay fabric and cover it with stone. As far as not getting advance approval - Yes, you should absolutely get it. If, however, the work is done, and it is indeed in compliance, then getting ARC approval is a matter of filling out the forms and including pictures of the work. I did that very thing for some work that was done by the previous owner without getting prior approval.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:50 AM

From an expert:
Type, size, and quality of the stone as well as the fabric type and quality of installation will all be huge factors. You could end up with weeds galore or very few and easy maintenance. There are several 'tricks' I use to keep the weeds at bay that the typical landscaper does not know. Education and experience does have advantages. You can bet the lowest prices you get not only do not have Workman's Comp insurance, but are cutting every corner available to make the most money off of you. You don't always get what you pay for, but you never...EVER.. get what you don't pay for.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:54 AM

As examples..
The topcommercial weed block is not available at Home Depot
Old 07-23-2018, 06:56 AM

The volcanic and 'timberlite' stone are very poor choices
Old 08-11-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
As examples..
The topcommercial weed block is not available at Home Depot
So, where can I get it?

I'm interested in getting larger (at least "quarter" size) white/light color stones/river rock.
Anyone know a good source?

My neighbors on either side of me have stone front/back yards (Patio Villas)
Can't imagine how/why I could be "denied"...

We close on our new place on the 31st..
I'm only going to be able to be there for 1 week...and then rentals start.
I doubt I'd be lucky enough to catch one of the meetings for the approval, and still have time to do the work. (Doing it myself)

Inquiring mind wants to know...
Closed Thread

Tags
yard, recommendations, people/companies, work, price

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.