Rock Yard

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm not sure if this compliance system is good or bad, but a lot of people don't understand it. Most of the courtyard villas in my neighborhood have had rock yards installed with no ARC approval, and, in many cases, by unlicensed contractors, or by the homeowner. I think that many newcomers just assume that their neighbors are in compliance, or they feel uncomfortable complaining. Personally, I don't care what others do with their lawns.
McGyver. Please read this again. Without ARC approval, you may get fined.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGyver9 View Post
So, where can I get it?

I'm interested in getting larger (at least "quarter" size) white/light color stones/river rock.
Anyone know a good source?

My neighbors on either side of me have stone front/back yards (Patio Villas)
Can't imagine how/why I could be "denied"...

We close on our new place on the 31st..
I'm only going to be able to be there for 1 week...and then rentals start.
I doubt I'd be lucky enough to catch one of the meetings for the approval, and still have time to do the work. (Doing it myself)

Inquiring mind wants to know...
I live in a relatively new courtyard villa and about half of the houses on the street have installed rock yards. I don't think that any of them got ARC approval, and I know that many of the yards were installed by unlicensed contractors, and some by the homeowner. This seems to be the way many people get landscaping done. I think the ARC people should do a better job of monitoring landscaping or abandon their approval system altogether.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:25 AM

Brothers Landscaping is very good and reasonable. We have a designer and they added new landscaping, moved older landscaping, and added Rock for half of what the others quoted. Had seen work they did for others and hired them to do 0urs. highly recommended.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

I'm not so sure about the Courtyard Villa thing. On Hillsborough there's a Designer home (I think it's a Designer) with a stone yard right when you drive by.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:52 AM

We used Imran of Ali's Landscape have used him before, was very happy with the results and cost. 774-263-4200
Old 08-13-2018, 08:05 AM
Default Rick Ballard

Another going to Notre is that this will make your backyard considerably hotter.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I hope the all rock thing doesn't catch on.
Me too. Not yet seen one that is anything but ugly. Like TV because it's green
Old 08-13-2018, 09:45 AM
Veteran member

Hello! I can speak from experience on this We have a large corner lot CYV. Had all the grass removed, and put in 31 yards of rock (over 3,100 sq ft). We switched to rock in our last CYV and we found that we love it and love the look. First some responses to some comments I have seen:

1. Your back yard will be considerably hotter. No, it will not - I have not experienced this in either of our CYV's. I would like to see some data from those that claim this.
2. You will still get weeds. Yes, you will. I spray once every 3 months, and have to pull a couple of stragglers here and there. Overall much easier and less expensive than maintaining a lawn, I don't have to water much (I still have many plants but most require little water), and it always looks good (assuming you like the look of rocks and cactus).

For a recommendation - I can't recommend the folks that did ours. They did a good job in the end, but took forever and were extremely frustrating to deal with. Would show up when called multiple times, do an hour of work, then leave. A job that was promised in 2 weeks took over 3 months.

I would recommend the company we didn't go with - Artistascapes. They had the lowest bid, but I didn't go with them - thought the price was too low. While I waited for mine to get done, they did dozens of other jobs in my neighborhood. Always showed up, put in a long day of work, finished the job, and went on to the next.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:56 AM

Rocks screw up the drainage and I was told rocks were not permitted in the front of my courtyard villa.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:15 PM
Veteran member

Rocks only alter drainage if they are installed improperly, and the underlying surface is changed substantially. I have no issues with drainage - in fact, I have less wet spots than when I had grass.

I'm not sure which village you are in, but a true Court Yard Villa with walls around it is allowed to put rock anywhere on the property. It is the only type of home allowed to do so.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladydock View Post
..... I was told rocks were not permitted in the front of my courtyard villa.
Depends on your deed restrictions. Some Villages allow rocks in front, but not all Villages allow this.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I really don’t care for the rocks...looks like Arizona to me. Also, you cannot walk on the rocks comfortably. Most of all I like organic gardening and that’s impossible with rocks. There is no way to improve our sandy soil. I top dress my soil once or twice a year and now have great soil. I also like to change out annuals for the season and that’s not possible with rocks. To each his own but it’s just not my choice.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:00 PM
Veteran member

Let me get this straight regargind ARC and I will mention what we want to do. We are in a CYV have been here just over a week. When we arrived there was lots of shrub overgrowth we have since trimmed directly in from of the CYV. What remains now is a bush that looks much better than it did, there’s also a small palm tree. The eyesore is the wood chips that cover the ground ( I hate wood chips ). My plan is to remove the wood chips put new ground cover then use a light colored stone. With that said do I need to contact ARC? Not sure why I would because I’d be improving the appearance and matching what every CYV near me looks like.

Is Brother’s the one in Fruitland Park on Leesburg Blvd?

Last edited by B-flat; 08-16-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

[QUOTE=B-flat;1572610]Let me get this straight regargind ARC and I will mention what we want to do. We are in a CYV have been here just over a week. When we arrived there was lots of shrub overgrowth we have since trimmed directly in from of the CYV. What remains now is a bush that looks much better than it did, there’s also a small palm tree. The eyesore is the wood chips that cover the ground ( I hate wood chips ). My plan is to remove the wood chips put new ground cover then use a light colored stone. With that said do I need to contact ARC? Not sure why I would because I’d be improving the appearance and matching what every CYV near me looks like.

Is Brother’s the one in Fruitland Park on Leesburg Blvd?[/QUOTE

Before you change anything contact ARC. What you think is an improvement may not be what is in your dead restrictions. Just because your neighbors have made changes does not mean they checked. All it’s takes is someone who hates rocks and makes a complaint. If not done correctly you could be fined.

Tags
yard, recommendations, people/companies, work, price

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.