Rocks falling out of flower beds

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2018, 12:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts
Default Rocks falling out of flower beds

Today was the first time we had a landscape crew on our property to trim shrubs and trees since we had metal edging and rocks (Seminole chip) installed in the flower beds.

After the two men left and did a very nice job of trimming our shrubs, I checked to see if any of the rocks had been displaced out of the flower beds beyond the metal edging. I was really surprised to see there were lots of rocks that were either kicked out of the beds or blown out by the leaf blower. The men left my flower beds pretty clean of cut leaves and such but with that, many of the rocks were blown out onto the lawn with the leaves.

Am I going to have to clean up after the landscape clean up after every time my shrubs and trees are trimmed? I wasn't expecting to have to do that. Do you have this same problem?
Old 04-25-2018, 05:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Today was the first time we had a landscape crew on our property to trim shrubs and trees since we had metal edging and rocks (Seminole chip) installed in the flower beds.

After the two men left and did a very nice job of trimming our shrubs, I checked to see if any of the rocks had been displaced out of the flower beds beyond the metal edging. I was really surprised to see there were lots of rocks that were either kicked out of the beds or blown out by the leaf blower. The men left my flower beds pretty clean of cut leaves and such but with that, many of the rocks were blown out onto the lawn with the leaves.

Am I going to have to clean up after the landscape clean up after every time my shrubs and trees are trimmed? I wasn't expecting to have to do that. Do you have this same problem?
It boils down to the person doing the work. Some will pick up displaced stone, some will not. Of course the hazard of leaving the stone in your yard is that it becomes a projectile when the lawn guys come.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post

Have you talked to the landscapers about it?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Have you talked to the landscapers about it?
Not yet. I plan to discuss this with them the next time they are on the property. Yesterday was the first time the shrubs were trimmed since we had the rock put down. I discovered the displaced rock after the crew left the property.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:32 PM

Could the rocks have been washed out of the flower beds by the recent heavy rains? Perhaps the landscapers did not do it.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
Could the rocks have been washed out of the flower beds by the recent heavy rains? Perhaps the landscapers did not do it.
Don't be too quick to blame the landscapers. Our rocks were always escaping the edging for no good reason, trimming or no trimming. Never could figure that out. I think next time we would use curbing or stacked walls.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
I looked at that. I have a bed in the back of the house with metal edging and Seminole chip (rocks). That bed did not need any trimming and there was not one displaced rock around the entire perimeter of the metal edge.

Along the rest of the metal edging on the property, any place trimming was not done, there were no rocks displaced. The only areas where the rocks were displaced was where shrubs were trimmed and the areas required blowing the leaves out of the flower beds.

I think I can safely say the rocks were displaced by the crew and by the leaf blower.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
The reason I went with Seminole chip is because I was told it sort of "knits" together and does not move around when walked on. I have to admit, that is very true. I have both kinds of rock on my property......Seminole chip and the river rock. The river rock moves very easily when walked on; much more so than the Seminole chip. In fact, Seminole chip feels very "solid" under foot rather than the uneasy feeling of walking on river rock.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:32 PM
Veteran member

The birds kick the mulch out of my beds in order to find grubs/worms. This may be your problem.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Aggressive leaf blowing. Very common by mow, blow, and go crews. I just put them back.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2018, 04:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Aggressive leaf blowing. Very common by mow, blow, and go crews. I just put them back.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
That is what I will have to do periodically.

Tags
rocks, beds, flower, shrubs, clean

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.