Ron's Landscaping

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2017, 01:44 PM
Default Ron's Landscaping

We recently had our front yard landscaped and were very pleased with the outcome. Ron's Landscaping did a fine job from start to finish. When we finish our construction in the back yard, we will definitely have them back to finish the job. Get a free estimate 352-227-7788
Old 09-27-2017, 12:38 PM

We were pleased the day they drove away, too.

Three years later, in spite of our best efforts, we need a great deal of remedial work. We had a rose tree and shrub roses that looked beautiful for 6 months, then they stopped blooming and began loosing their leaves. I dead-headed in an effort to make it bloom again. The roses never should have been planted here.

We have 8 other plants that are not thriving. They want shade and an acidic soil. They were planted in full sun, in neutral Ph sand.

More irrigation lines need to be added, which means moving the rock and running new lines. We trusted the landscaper to know Florida needs, as we did not.

I suggest you wait a year to see how your plantings hold up before hiring Ron's Landscaping. Hopefully you will have a better outcome.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedivergirl View Post

Three years later, in spite of our best efforts, we need a great deal of remedial work. We had a rose tree and shrub roses that looked beautiful for 6 months, then they stopped blooming and began loosing their leaves. I dead-headed in an effort to make it bloom again. The roses never should have been planted here.

We have 8 other plants that are not thriving. They want shade and an acidic soil. They were planted in full sun, in neutral Ph sand.

More irrigation lines need to be added, which means moving the rock and running new lines. We trusted the landscaper to know Florida needs, as we did not.

I suggest you wait a year to see how your plantings hold up before hiring Ron's Landscaping. Hopefully you will have a better outcome.

Look around to see what the Morse’s have planted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2017, 03:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

You didn't say what you have been doing for three years, but if the roses lost their leaves, it isn't the fault of the landscaper.
Either they were probably getting too much water or not enough.
Or -- had some kind of bug and they weren't treated.
Were your roses actually "shrub" roses or "knock out" roses?
Both of those varieties are very hardy.
In addition, no rose bush should be dead headed.
All rose bushes should be selectively pruned in a certain way.

What are the other eight plants? Eight different types?
Did you ever fertilize them with an acidic fertilizer?
That would have solved that problem.

Finally -- who has been taking care of your landscaping?
It sounds as though that person didn't know what they are doing.

Ron's Landscaping did not do our grounds but I know for a fact that he does good work.
Something just doesn't sound right here.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:13 PM

They were Knock-out Roses. We have had two landscapers in in the last week.

Roses do not do well in Florida. In addition, as I stated, we do not have enough irrigation lines. We counted on Ron's to do it right. Roses need a great deal of water.

I am an experienced gardener, albeit in northern climes.

Had I known the plants required an acid soil, I could have fertilized them properly. The point is they should not have been planted where they were.

It is foolish to put a plant in an inhospitable environment, and try to manage it with chemicals.

I disagree about deadheading, especially when the plants are doing as poorly as these.

An afterthought ~ Ron's Landscaping has been sold, around 4 years ago. He still does the sales, but he does not do the work. Perhaps this is a factor.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:54 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Ron's landscaping did our yard and did a great job. Mike, who owns the company is a certified Aborist and knows his landscaping. Our roses are thriving. Massey takes care of our plants, trees and irrigation. Our Massey Tecks do a great job. Mike gave us specific instructions on how to care for the landscaping and we followed them.

Sorry for your problems. Florida landscapes are different from what we had in northern climates. You may have some challenges---good luck.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
They were Knock-out Roses. We have had two landscapers in in the last week.

Roses do not do well in Florida. In addition, as I stated, we do not have enough irrigation lines. We counted on Ron's to do it right. Roses need a great deal of water.

I am an experienced gardener, albeit in northern climes.

Had I known the plants required an acid soil, I could have fertilized them properly. The point is they should not have been planted where they were.

It is foolish to put a plant in an inhospitable environment, and try to manage it with chemicals.

I disagree about deadheading, especially when the plants are doing as poorly as these.

An afterthought ~ Ron's Landscaping has been sold, around 4 years ago. He still does the sales, but he does not do the work. Perhaps this is a factor.
Either someone is giving you bad information or you are simply uninformed.
Knock out roses do do well here and they do not require any more water than most other shrubs in your yard.
In addition, you may disagree, but no rose of any type should ever be dead headed!
You didn't say what the other eight plants were that you mentioned -- the ones you say need shade and acid soil; what are they?

I agree that all plants should be properly planted, but they all do need to be fertilized throughout the year, according to what their needs are. Otherwise -- yes -- over time they will croak!

Ron and Mike do know what they are doing. If you did not discuss placement and price with both of them about your sprinklers, then that could be a good reason why you are unhappy. They are both well versed in plants and landscaping and worked together even before Ron sold to Mike.

I have a feeling there is more to the problems you are having than what has been posted in this thread.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:12 AM

You are right. I am completely wrong. In spite of the missing sprinkler heads, I should have known they did a poor job. Mea culpa. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

For one thing, if you want to keep it blooming continuously, you need to groom it. This means clipping off the faded flowers. If you leave them, they’ll form rose hips with seeds inside and flowering will slow to a crawl. Grooming ‘Knock Out’ rose every week or so spurs new growth loaded with new rose buds.

[URL="http://www.southernliving.com/home-garden/gardens/knockout-rose-summer-care"[/URL]
Old 09-28-2017, 10:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
You are right. I am completely wrong. In spite of the missing sprinkler heads, I should have known they did a poor job. Mea culpa. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

For one thing, if you want to keep it blooming continuously, you need to groom it. This means clipping off the faded flowers. If you leave them, they’ll form rose hips with seeds inside and flowering will slow to a crawl. Grooming ‘Knock Out’ rose every week or so spurs new growth loaded with new rose buds.

[URL="http://www.southernliving.com/home-garden/gardens/knockout-rose-summer-care"[/URL]
Okay . . . Previously you said you did not have enough irrigation lines. Here you stated you were missing sprinkler heads. Big difference. This tells me that you or whomever cuts your grass, etc., has never checked to make sure your sprinkler system was working properly. I don't think, particularly after three years, that you can blame this on Ron's Landscaping.

The Southern Living article to which you made reference, does not give much information and is mainly for a novice who is thinking about having roses. One of the most important things with roses is that they be pruned and shaped in a certain way. If you like, I will try to find an article that explains this.

If you don't cut off faded flowers, most of the time for some reason, they don't develop rose hips; they usually just dry up and eventually fall off. However, in cutting back any rose that has already bloomed, you don't just clip it off. Without fully going into a Rose Bush 1 class, when you prune a rose bush, you selectively prune them. You go down to the first 5 leaves (at least) and cut it inwardly towards the center and on the diagonal. Once again; no dead heading.

You still have not mentioned what the eight other plants are that "aren't thriving???"
Old 10-07-2017, 03:49 PM

I was quite surprised to read the comments about Ron's Landscaping and Mike. My husband and I had two landscaping projects completed by Ron's Landscaping. Mike, Ron and their crew were very professional. All my questions and concerns were addressed throughout the projects.
Mike made recommendations for future irrigation and fertilization of the landscape items.
After the completion of each project Mike made follow-up visits to evaluate how the items were doing. Even a year after the project was completed, I called Mike with a concern about a particular shrub. He came out and recommended some pruning to improve the appearance. After a few months the shrub’s shape had improved greatly.
It’s been 4 years since my projects were completed and my shrubs and trees are thriving with continued proper irrigation, pruning and fertilizing.
As a result, we will continue to highly recommend Ron’s Landscaping and Mike.
As an after-thought, when your landscaping project wasn’t performing up to your expectations, did you attempt to contact Mike to voice your concerns?
Old 10-18-2017, 03:02 PM
Default Two and a half years later

Ron's passes the time test with flying colors.

No plantings have frozen out or failed to meet expectations. We credit that to Ron's insightful plan that led us away from plantings that were too subject to disease, freezing, high maintenance needs, etc. We also credit Mike's quick and thorough resolution of post installation issues as they arose. These included simple answers to maintenance q's like when, with what, how much etc.?

Ron's will not be the lowest quote. But if you and your home deserve commercial grade quality instead of the repetitive sameness you see around your neighborhood, call MIKE at 352-445-2370
Old 10-18-2017, 05:01 PM

We have used Ron's Landscaping (Mike and crew) twice.......we were very pleased both times.
Closed Thread

Tags
finish, rons, job, back, yard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.