Root Barriers !!!!!!!

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Thumbs down Root Barriers !!!!!!!

This is just a heads up to all those residents who have or intend to plant Queen Palms/Washingtonians near walks or driveways !!!!!!!
Unfortunately, I did and about 3 years later, I noticed my Driveway Lifting at the edges !!!!! I emailed and then had to call the Company that put them in a few times to come out and view. After viewing my concern, they said they had heard that at times that would happen!!!!!!!!! They then suggested I call a different company and have them repair it?? Really !!!!!!! If you are in the business of Planting Palms, you then know the issues relative to feeder roots. Why did you not at time of sale inform me of this issue and provide at a cost, a root barrier system upon planting. Well, to correct the problem from getting worse, I priced it out and it runs about $500 to dig and install a plastic liner about 12-15 inch down for about a length of 15 feet.
Thanks to my neighbor, I bought the supplies locally and he helped me install it--not easy work!!!!! took about 3/4 day.
I know of other neighbors in the neighborhood that have similar problems and used different landscaping company's with no mention of a barrier.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:08 PM
Veteran member

It is often difficult to get accurate information from many of the landscapers in The Villages. Sometimes new Villagers will choose a landscaper on the basis of the lowest price and not the highest expertise. There are numerous reputable professional landscape companies around The Villages. They have the right equipment and expertise to do a good job.

In regards to your problem with Queen palms and Washingtonian palms, the University of Florida doesn't recommend either Of these palms for our 9A zone here in The Villages. It is too cold here for these palms. The Washingtonian Palm also grows much too large for small yards. Still I see your point, why do the landscapers plant these too close to the driveway? They often do it because that is where the homeowner wants it. People get testy if you tell them the truth and they will keep looking around to find someone else to do the job, so many "landscapers" just go ahead and do it as they won't be around when the homeowner has a problem.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:17 PM

Griff, I am sorry for your loss of property and best laid plans.
For all who want to wisely choose plants and location, I suggest contacting sumter co. Extension prior to making a decision.
Sumter County Extension Office ? Solutions for Your Life - UF Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
Representatives are available Mondays 9 to 3 at the Sumter County annex.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Ok do they create a problem for water, or sprinkler lines?
Old 02-28-2015, 03:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I've said it before and will say it again. Notherners move here and want palm trees because it represents a tropical look and a look they've never had before. They are attracted to Queen palms because they are less expensive than other palms. They are the cheapest palm a landscaper can buy. Other than the fact that are not suitable for our plant zone, they are trash trees. They need more care than other palms and cockroaches and vermin are attracted to them.

I seriously doubt that a 12" deep plant barrier will do the job the OP thinks it will do, but I wish him luck. He probably should forget about a "plant barrier" and get rid of the palm.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
It is often difficult to get accurate information from many of the landscapers in The Villages. Sometimes new Villagers will choose a landscaper on the basis of the lowest price and not the highest expertise. There are numerous reputable professional landscape companies around The Villages. They have the right equipment and expertise to do a good job.

In regards to your problem with Queen palms and Washingtonian palms, the University of Florida doesn't recommend either Of these palms for our 9A zone here in The Villages. It is too cold here for these palms. The Washingtonian Palm also grows much too large for small yards. Still I see your point, why do the landscapers plant these too close to the driveway? They often do it because that is where the homeowner wants it. People get testy if you tell them the truth and they will keep looking around to find someone else to do the job, so many "landscapers" just go ahead and do it as they won't be around when the homeowner has a problem.
Washingtonias and queen palms do fine in this climate (zone 9a) if you go by the County Extension, scientific research, facts and the books the University of Florida uses to teach students enrolled to get a degree in horticulture. We just had 24F (2 degrees below our avg. lowest) and the queens barely frosted tips. Even if Chicken Little's friends started agreeing with him, that wouldn't make the sky fall.

Yes, most of the landscape installers will plant too close to a driveway on the 'short' side to attempt getting some height on that corner for balance, because they lack either experience, knowledge, or integrity. You end up with the same problem unfortunately. Be it a palm, a Ligustrum, a Holly or Bottlebrush... too close is too close and the future could hold cracked concrete.
The good landscapers will be discussing this conundrum with you, the alternatives and good ways to still get this balance without endangering your drive and eaves in the future.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:34 AM

There are queen palms on the Historic side, that were here through the freezes in the 80s that wiped out our citrus industry. I was here back then, and most of the queen palms (over 90%) turned brown, yet recovered and were beautiful and healthy within a year. This was TWO.. 100 year cycle freezes within a 3 year period, and it didn't wipe out our queen palms. It did kill them in Ocala, (south of Gainesville, yet NOT in zone 9a), where it is too cold for queen palms.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

My neighbor had a palm (no idea what kind) taken out. It was planted close to his garage wall, it forced up the driveway and was causing the vinyl siding on the front of the garage to bow out from the ground up.

On the other side I have a nighbor who has palms all across the front of the house. Looks great. They are seasonal residents and we can sit and watch the squirrels running up their palms and onto the roof! Not good either.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We had trees up North too. Just use common sense y'all. It is ultimately your decision where stuff is planted on your property. The Villages does a pretty good job with their foundation planting but we did have a tree really too close to the driveway. It didn't lift it but it shed blossoms.

On the plus side, most small trees and bushes can be easily moved because of the sandy soil. And young labor is very available and affordable.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.