Rubber Mulch

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2015, 06:39 PM
Gold member
Default Rubber Mulch

We are starting to plan landscaping and are very interested in using rubber mulch.

I know some people love it and some hate it. I'm only interested in hearing replies from those who have actually used rubber mulch in their own landscaping.

If you are willing to PM your address to me, I would love to drive by and see it in your landscaping. I can't tell from my "drive bys" if I'm seeing natural or rubber mulch. Handling it also, it is difficult to tell the difference.

Our goal is to put it down and forget it. Please let me know how you like it!

Again, please! Replies from those who have rubber mulch in their landscaping only.

Thanks so much!!!
Old 01-22-2015, 10:19 PM
Gold member

No replies? Come on now, someone out there has to have rubber mulch!!
Old 01-22-2015, 10:30 PM
Gold member

Perhaps posting under the "landscaping" forum would help...it's always better to be specific...well...not always...
Old 01-22-2015, 10:51 PM
Gold member

We have rubber mulch and have had it since Feb of 08. We've never regretted it. Highly recommend and I'm sending you a pm
Old 01-22-2015, 11:24 PM

I have rubber mulch and love it. My address is 1981 Glenarden Path
Old 01-23-2015, 02:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down The Worst "mulch" in the Wold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
No replies? Come on now, someone out there has to have rubber mulch!!
Dotti: We have had rubber mulch in the past but do not have it now. I would not recommend it. It is expensive although our first thought was that it would go a long way; it doesn't.

It adds nothing to the soil as it is not natural and doesn't break down. Besides fertilization, our combination of sand and clay benefits from mulch that breaks down over time, which is helpful to what we call "soil."

Also, during a heavy rainfall, it washes away because it is so light and it becomes a mess. Don't even think about trying to rake it back to its original placement; the tiny pieces are all over the place and the little pieces here and there end up smothering the grass. Yes, it can wash away even when you have a border.

Don't use it!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:05 AM
Veteran member

I used Brown Rubber Mulch to begin with,,, I got really tired of it blowing around with a good wind, but the big issue was with heavy rain it would float over the landscape curb we have and into the yard. Happened all the time. We switched to large Bark Rock. little more expensive,, but so much better. Just MHO.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:46 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

We have rubber mulch in part of our landscaping only because initially we did rock and didn't know about rubber mulch. I hate the rock now when weeds come up and even with weed cloth they do it's horrible to try and weed! My husband and I have used the rubber mulch in the rear of our home and love it. Ours has never floated away or blown away but that may vary I guess depending on how you lot is laid out and how open it is. Ours does not smell like many say it does and we love the look. Oh and our plants do awesome with it!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:39 PM
Gold member

Rdhdleo, would you be willing to pm me your address or some photos. I would truly appreciate it! Also where did you buy your mulch??
Thanks so much!!
Old 01-23-2015, 08:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Dotti, some of it contains known carcinogens. Here is some info. EHHI :: Exposures to Recycled Tire Rubber Crumbs Used on Synthetic Turf Fields, Playgrounds and as Gardening Mulch
Old 01-23-2015, 10:53 PM
Gold member

Dotti..did u receive my pm? Contrary to what I have read about "floating away" I would guess it depends on the size. As I said earlier, had ours since 2008 and none of it has floated or blown away.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhdleo View Post
We have rubber mulch in part of our landscaping only because initially we did rock and didn't know about rubber mulch. I hate the rock now when weeds come up and even with weed cloth they do it's horrible to try and weed! My husband and I have used the rubber mulch in the rear of our home and love it. Ours has never floated away or blown away but that may vary I guess depending on how you lot is laid out and how open it is. Ours does not smell like many say it does and we love the look. Oh and our plants do awesome with it!
Sorry, but rubber mulch cannot take any credit for your plants doing well. You're either doing something right or are just lucky.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:23 AM
Veteran member

As far as weed or grass growing in rock,, it will do the same in rubber mulch. Rock or rubber does not matter. The only difference is with the rubber mulch easier to move out of the way to pull the weeds. But if you are spraying weed killer it will not matter.

We had the big mulch, brown in color, I ended up digging it all up and gave it away. My neighbor is in the process of digging theirs out now.

It is what it is,,, maybe a little cheaper depending on how much you need. I got the bark rock for 90.00 a yard. Made a big difference.

If you have the landscape curb around the house with gutters coming into them,, the water can move the rubber mulch around,, I use to get the rubber mulch piled up in spots,, Even with just a hard rain and floods your flower beds it will move the mulch. If you use a leave blower to blow out the beds for grass and so on, the weed blower will blow the mulch around much easier than rock.

I know people that have it and like it, but then again a lot of friends that have it have it pulled out for rock.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Sorry, but rubber mulch cannot take any credit for your plants doing well. You're either doing something right or are just lucky.
I agree,,, The rubber mulch does not make your plants grow any better than rock.

Here is some reading on rubber mulch.

http://www.natureswayresources.com/D...ubberMulch.pdf

Landscaping: Rock vs. Mulch vs. ??

Is Rubber Mulch Safe for Plants?
Old 01-24-2015, 02:16 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I was not meaning to say my plants did well "because" of rubber mulch, just stating that in spite of my using it they did well. Sorry you were confused! Again to each their own, weeding is more difficult with rock than mulch which is why I like it better also. In our back area we do not have the concrete curbing just the landscape border most use and still no floating or blowing but again I said that is probably because it is a more sheltered area in the back. There's no right or wrong go with what you personally like.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.