Rubber mulch?

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Veteran member
Smile Rubber mulch?

I really like the look of black rubber mulch but have not seen much of it in TV. If someone has it would you please PM me so I can ask some questions and maybe take a look at yours?

Thanks!

Becky
Old 06-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Gold member

We have the mocha brown rubber mulch and love it. Bought it by the bag from the distributor in Fruitland Park. There is a courtyard villa on the left just as you pass thru the "hole in the wall" that has black rubber mulch. I heard the guy who lives there use to be a distributor. maybe if you stop there he could answer your questions about it.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Veteran member

That is what we have also, the brown mocha rubber mulch. Get it from Brownes Dist in Fruitland Park across form the fle market. Great stuff and they have quite a few colors. Here is a link to them

http://www.landscapesuppliers.com/

THey have locations in Minneola and Fruitland Park.

Money out
Old 06-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Veteran member

Thank you! I will check the Fruitland Park place!

Becky
Old 06-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

I had the black rubber mulch and after about a year, I had it removed and replaced it with crushed stone. We had so much trouble with the rubber bits spreading over the walkways and lawn. I assume that it was probably from the night critters that roam.

barb

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 06-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Gold member

The only black rubber mulch I have seen is much smaller pieces than what is currently available at the Fruitland Park distributor. We've had ours down for 2 yrs now and none of it has washed away or been dispersed by critters....again I think it might be because of the larger size pieces.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

Wal Mart and other places also carry rubber mulch, but make sure your not getting the playground mulch. it is much smaller and yes could get blown easier. I have had no problem with it. Had the mocha brown for about 1.5 years. No problem, still the same color and all. No need to switch it out, unlike the wood mulch, no bugs and no rot. You can also mix rock in with it to give me of a texture to the look. We hae the Mocha Brown mixed in with Seminole Chips. Looks good

Money out
Old 06-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Cool

Also might want to Try fieldfarms on 301
have rubber mulch down for up to two years now no problem
Old 06-10-2009, 08:04 AM

I have had it for approximately 7 years and dearly love it. You can also purchase it from the "factory" in Wildwood. Its called Global Tire Recycling, 330-2213. I have few is any weeds because of the film that was put down before the mulch was placed on top of it. I would also suggest you put curbing around it as that lets it stay put!
Old 06-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Veteran member

Thanks guys! I am still going to check it out but, a landscaper came to give me an estimate and told me it costs way more than stone! Not a clue why that would be! Still checking - thanks for all the info!

Becky
Old 06-11-2009, 05:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Thanks guys! I am still going to check it out but, a landscaper came to give me an estimate and told me it costs way more than stone! Not a clue why that would be! Still checking - thanks for all the info!

Becky
just be careful of what quote you get. You can get the 30lb bags of rubber mulch for 10.00 a bag, if you buy 20 or more bags they are 9.00 a bag from Brownes in Fruitland Park. Unlike rock, you do not need to pile up the rubber mulch 6 inches thick or more.. Had a neighbor get a quote and the cat wanted to make the rubber mulch like a foot thick so it sat above the curbing. now that might be expensive. but also depending on the rock you get, that would cost more. Had a friend got talked into doing Lava rock around the front of the house, 10 yards just to do the front. at 110.00 a yard that adds up. 1100 in rock for the front only. The rubber mulch only needs to be like 1-2 inches thick to look good. Then you can get some rock to blend in with it. Even get some big lime rock bouders,
dont spend more than you need to... I bought 30 bags of the Mocha Brown and it went around the house.

Money out
Old 06-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Veteran member

Thanks! Very helpful info GMONEY!

Becky
Old 06-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

Becky, I had an old thread on rubber vs wood vs stone.
My thoughts.

1) wood - cheapest and best for the plants since it does compost.
However, it does take replacement/replenishment and does blow a bit from critters and weather

2) rubber - priced less than stone (my understanding, check it out, says different in an above thread), heavier than wood, lasts forever. Downside is that it's not as healthy for the plants, it retains heat more than wood and doesn't absorb water to keep them coo.

3) stone - heaviest, costliest, lasts forever. Downsides are that it also retains heat but not moisture for the plants.

Whatever suits you, I took wood for now.. but if I get tired of messing with it, I may well try the rubber next.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Veteran member

Thanks JohnN! One landscaper told me rubber mulch was a lot more than stone. Have some other people coming to give estimates so should find out
which is right.

Becky
Old 06-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

Becky, I'd be curious as to the quote and coverage.

I tend to be a do-it-yourselfer and I'd end up hauling it LOL
best wishes
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.