Sable Palm Trees Wilting (TPPD suspected)

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2015, 08:43 AM
Sage

How to find a certified arborist...site recommended by UF agricultural extension agent, Jim Davis:
Trees Are Good

Master gardeners can often tell you whether your palm appears to be normal, but if there is doubt, will recommend you bring in a certified arborist. Thanks for posting about this..it is interesting research, a difficult pest to identify and treat.
Let us know how this goes...
Old 05-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Sage

Tom, i asked the UF agent Jim Davis if there were known cases in Sumter Co.
Kitty,

First, I need to see the palms in question.
TPPD has not yet been diagnosed in Sumter County. That is not to say it is not here, just the samples we sent in through the years of suspected palms that have TPPD have come up negative.
As the gentleman states, no one can 100% diagnose TPPD visually. Samples must be sent in to a lab for verification. However, there are signs and symptoms to look for. This is the case for other fatal diseases such as Ganoderma and Fusarium Wilt or severe nutrient deficiencies such as boron or abiotic disorders such as planting too deep or lightning.
Samples are $75 per sample, so if the gentleman or another homeowner wants to test their palms, there are procedures and submission guidelines to follow.

Sincerely,

Jim
Old 05-12-2015, 02:20 PM

I have a preliminary opinion from a certified arborist that the condition is probably NOT TPPD as there is no yellowing present. His opinion is based on pictures I submitted. I am waiting to hear from Jim Davis for a second opinion now but he was out of the office today. The arborist said there had been no confirmed cases in Sumter County to date.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Sage

Thanks, Tom. I hope your palms can be saved. One of our highest regarded master gardeners calls this area "a honeypot" because we have so many new palms and landscape plants in a small area.
And I would add, it may not be a monoculture, but less able to defend itself than an old woods.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Sage
Default OZZELLO..Offering to inoculate against this disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Haven't seen it hit sables around here yet, but I know sables are commonly infected. I have seen a couple sylvesters and several washingtonias I am fairly certain died from TPPDD last year in TV. Funny the map of FL TPPDD infestations still doesn't show any cases in this area.. maybe it needs updating.. or it wasn't TPPDD.. or no one reported the cases. Maybe they didn't know?

Could be lethal yellowing or "bud beetles". Tell tale of TPPDD is bloom sprouts dying early without seeding. The inoculation isn't all that expensive and will stop the disease. Trees that are treated quarterly can still become infected, but will never show symptoms or die from it.

I'm on the fence as to providing an inoculation service and trying to educate folks in this area as to the probable recent infestations and increased spreading of TPPDD in TV and how they can keep their palms safe, or waiting...and watching. Already bought the tools to do it so I could inoculate mine and my friends trees if I see any increase in the palms dying around TV.
Since there are no palms known to experts in Sumter county with this disease, where do you live, Ozello? You bought equipment and are thinking of offering to inoculate palms against a disease we to date do not have?

I have been reading your posts for a while, which often and unjustly diss UF master gardeners, and I am encouraging readers to trust in the UF agricultural extension office and agent Jim Davis.
They have no other motive than to help people and agriculture.

That you Said you are "fairly certain" about the disease killing trees in this area, I ask you to supply your credentials as an expert and evidence for making a diagnosis, since it can only be done by lab analysis on a properly collected sample of bacteria.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:44 AM

Did you talk to ALL the experts in the area? No, I didn't get a call. Neither did Earl G. nor Dr. Holloway. You might want to talk to them, smart folks .

If you read my posts, you see I KNOW, there have been no cases of TPPDD officially reported in TV.

Where I live is my personal info.

I bought equipment to inoculate MY trees and my customers and neighbors trees against a disease that is knocking on our back door for sure, and probably just getting a foothold in TV.

Was that Sylvester tested removed from the Buena Vista circle just N of 466A last year?

There has been SEVERAL palms removed and I can give you locations of 3 more palms declining apparently with TPPDD ... I could give you my credentials as well...

I have not and do not 'dis' UF or the Master Gardeners. A portion of my education is through UF's actual horticulture and agriculture program, you know, where you get a degree, and are taught by someone with a Masters DEGREE.

I also passed the Master Gardener's exam years ago when it was new. I think it a great program for folks and it generates lots of help for hobby gardeners and money for UF, my favorite college. I didn't have time for the volunteer hours, and I help enough people in my travels, I don't need the karma, and my actual credentials outweigh Master Gardener Certification.

Now you are the right path, Kitty. As I said previously.. the trees need to be looked at (in person) by an expert , and TESTED.

Oh yea.. almost forgot.... My CREDENTIALS... You don't need them. I give them when I publish. This is the internet, and no matter how many credentials someone has or doesn't have... the truth is the truth. And a lie (like, queen palms freeze in this area) ... is still a lie.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:41 PM

Well I'm relieved. I've had replies from the UF extension folks and also a certified arborist and the consensus is that there is no disease present. They suspect a nutrient deficiency, possibly boron, which has been seen in some Washingtonians and other palms in TV. I'll keep and eye on them but I was told it would take a season or so to recover. I guess sabals are picky eaters for being such a common tree throughout the Southeast. Thanks to the members for the concern and suggestions.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Public awareness is always a good thing. I'm glad the info on TPPD was posted, and good to hear your palms don't appear to have it at this time.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:01 AM
Sage

That is good news!
Here is An appropriate example of resources UF trained master gardeners base their answers on...this article is on Fertilization of palms...8-2-12 plus 4 fertlizer, formulated to have micronutrients palms need and your lawn and ornamentals will also benefit.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/ep/ep26100.pdf

Note the article ends with info on correcting boron deficiencies...

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 05-16-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Well I'm relieved. I've had replies from the UF extension folks and also a certified arborist and the consensus is that there is no disease present. They suspect a nutrient deficiency, possibly boron, which has been seen in some Washingtonians and other palms in TV. I'll keep and eye on them but I was told it would take a season or so to recover. I guess sabals are picky eaters for being such a common tree throughout the Southeast. Thanks to the members for the concern and suggestions.
Many thanks for a lively discussion. Perhaps, Consider becoming a master gardener? Classes in fall...
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.