Sad looking bottlebrush !

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-02-2011, 06:35 AM
Jerseygirl08's Avatar
Jerseygirl08 Jerseygirl08 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Village of Caroline
Posts: 143
Thanks: 108
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Default Sad looking bottlebrush !

My bottlebrush tree, planted last spring, is a lime color (rather than deep evergreen-green) and looking quite thin. Believe it needs fertilizing. I was told to use ornamental fertilizer at HomeDepot. WRONG. It's not an ornamental tree, I'm just now realizing. Should I use liquid fertilizer? What kind, and where should I buy it?
__________________
"Thousands died for my freedom, ONE died for my soul". Unknown author.
NJ, PA, MS, PA, The Villages, San Diego X 8 yrs, 2019 - now a FROG in Caroline.
  #2  
Old 04-02-2011, 07:56 AM
JenAjd JenAjd is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 613
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We just had an interview with our new "lawn person" and I expressed similar concerns about ours. He said in his view it wasn't a fertilizer issue but a watering issue. We live on a sloping hill. He said that the sprinklers probably weren't getting to it adequately and he'd adjust that. After the monsoons of this past week it appears to be a deeper green now. Before that it too was lime-green and dropping some of it's leaves, though there was a plethora of blooms on it. Hope this helps!!!
  #3  
Old 04-03-2011, 10:09 AM
JohnM JohnM is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 303
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ours were turning lime green, even had yellow leaves which were dropping ... however lots of blooms ... applied some general purpose 6-6-6 tree, shrub & plan fertilizer (which I have used before) and the deep green color seems to be coming back ... don't know whether it was the fertilizer or if the rain caused over watering ... FWIT & YMMV
  #4  
Old 04-03-2011, 04:38 PM
rubicon rubicon is offline
Email Reported As Spam
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,701
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default Sad looking bottlebrush

It is a watering issue. We have bottle brush that we planted primarily as a privacy hedge. However we have decided to replace them with plants that do not shed as often. In fact we are replacing a number of plants due to freeze issues...sick of all the trimming each spring.
  #5  
Old 04-03-2011, 05:14 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,117
Thanks: 2,811
Thanked 2,360 Times in 872 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Mine are growing like weeds, nice and green and full of "brushy" flowers. I just use the Miraclegro stuff I shake on flowers. They seem to love it.

I planted a couple of little ones last year...a couple of feet tall and they are 8 foot or so now.
  #6  
Old 04-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Jerseygirl08's Avatar
Jerseygirl08 Jerseygirl08 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Village of Caroline
Posts: 143
Thanks: 108
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Default great to know

Thanks everybody. I hope it is just a watering issue. Just like everybody described; yellowing leaves (close to the center of tree rather than ends of branches), thinning look, lime green color. Interesting. Will let you know if the recent rain helps but since I also fertifilized, hard to tell which did the trick. GG: do you mean to say you used miraclegro on an 8 ft. bottlebrush? Thanks again for responding everyone.
__________________
"Thousands died for my freedom, ONE died for my soul". Unknown author.
NJ, PA, MS, PA, The Villages, San Diego X 8 yrs, 2019 - now a FROG in Caroline.
  #7  
Old 04-03-2011, 08:57 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,117
Thanks: 2,811
Thanked 2,360 Times in 872 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl08 View Post
Thanks everybody. I hope it is just a watering issue. Just like everybody described; yellowing leaves (close to the center of tree rather than ends of branches), thinning look, lime green color. Interesting. Will let you know if the recent rain helps but since I also fertifilized, hard to tell which did the trick. GG: do you mean to say you used miraclegro on an 8 ft. bottlebrush? Thanks again for responding everyone.
Well it was little, and it's big now.
  #8  
Old 04-04-2011, 03:33 PM
joannej's Avatar
joannej joannej is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Jersey, WA state, Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 416
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default bottlebrush

I used the liquid "acid-loving" Miracle Grow on my bottlebrush trees. Try to buy it at Ace hardware (couldn't find it at Home Depot). They are getting around to blooming now. The yellowing is caused by chlorosis symptoms:

"Symptoms can vary depending on several factors. How alkaline is the soil? The higher the pH, the more chlorotic the plant. How long has the plant been chlorotic? In general, the longer the plant has been chlorotic, the more severe the chlorosis. Generally, mild chlorosis starts as a paling (lighter green to lime-green color) of interveinal (between veins) tissue, whereas a yellow color indicates a more serious condition. In some cases, only part of the plant is chlorotic. Affected areas (or the entire plant) may be stunted or fail to produce flowers and fruit. In addition, chlorotic leaves are more prone to scorching and leaf diseases. With severe chlorosis, the leaf veins will turn yellow, followed by the death of the leaf, the affected branch may die back, and death of the entire plant can occur."
__________________
New Jersey, Washington State, Pennsylvania, Florida
  #9  
Old 04-04-2011, 04:06 PM
JohnM JohnM is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 303
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannej View Post
With severe chlorosis, the leaf veins will turn yellow, followed by the death of the leaf, the affected branch may die back, and death of the entire plant can occur."
After applying some fertilizer mine are starting to look healthier ALTHOUGH I have a number of spindly looking branches ... if you know, can I prune them back now to promote new, thicker growth or do I have to wait until winter?
  #10  
Old 04-05-2011, 11:02 AM
batman911's Avatar
batman911 batman911 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 1,339
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

More info.

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/focus/chlorosis.cfm
  #11  
Old 04-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Jerseygirl08's Avatar
Jerseygirl08 Jerseygirl08 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Village of Caroline
Posts: 143
Thanks: 108
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Default chlorosis??

Joanne: that may be the problem. some leaves are yellow but most are lime green. The bottlebrushes did bloom, however, the tree has continued to look bad even after the heavy rain a few weeks ago. since my fertilizing and the rain did not help, I have started a watering regimen of 15 min. twice/day. Also added some Epson Salts close to the trunk and watered in. Next week, will take a soil sample and see if alkalinity is the problem. thanks Joanne. Where in PA and New Joisey??

Batman: Thanks for the article. It was very informative.
John M: I have learned that as long as the branches are bendable and pliable, the tree is still alive.

Thanks everyone. I'll post in a week with a progress report.
__________________
"Thousands died for my freedom, ONE died for my soul". Unknown author.
NJ, PA, MS, PA, The Villages, San Diego X 8 yrs, 2019 - now a FROG in Caroline.
  #12  
Old 04-17-2011, 06:55 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,117
Thanks: 2,811
Thanked 2,360 Times in 872 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl08 View Post
Joanne: that may be the problem. some leaves are yellow but most are lime green. The bottlebrushes did bloom, however, the tree has continued to look bad even after the heavy rain a few weeks ago. since my fertilizing and the rain did not help, I have started a watering regimen of 15 min. twice/day. Also added some Epson Salts close to the trunk and watered in. Next week, will take a soil sample and see if alkalinity is the problem. thanks Joanne. Where in PA and New Joisey??

Batman: Thanks for the article. It was very informative.
John M: I have learned that as long as the branches are bendable and pliable, the tree is still alive.

Thanks everyone. I'll post in a week with a progress report.
Well Chris, at least its little feet won't hurt.
  #13  
Old 04-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Jerseygirl08's Avatar
Jerseygirl08 Jerseygirl08 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Village of Caroline
Posts: 143
Thanks: 108
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Default Epson Salt - Feet

Thanks GG,

Here's to a healthy BB. Everybody pray it lives, can't afford to replace it right now. hehehe
__________________
"Thousands died for my freedom, ONE died for my soul". Unknown author.
NJ, PA, MS, PA, The Villages, San Diego X 8 yrs, 2019 - now a FROG in Caroline.
  #14  
Old 06-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Jerseygirl08's Avatar
Jerseygirl08 Jerseygirl08 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Village of Caroline
Posts: 143
Thanks: 108
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Default Bottlebrush tree saga

Well, I tried everything, even tested the soil. pH and minor nutrients all good. I don't understand it - however, I did have two big ornamental grasses growing right behind the tree. I suspected, after trying everything else, the grasses were sucking the nutrients and H20 from the tree.

So . . . I pulled those grasses outta there. Still, even after watering extensively, only a small amt. of green has reappeared - at the very end of the branches.

Should I yank the tree and start over??? If I do, I'd like to plant a crepe mrytle tree. Any opinons on that tree??

All opinions welcome.
__________________
"Thousands died for my freedom, ONE died for my soul". Unknown author.
NJ, PA, MS, PA, The Villages, San Diego X 8 yrs, 2019 - now a FROG in Caroline.
  #15  
Old 06-04-2011, 12:48 AM
mrfixit mrfixit is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 831
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl08 View Post
Well, I tried everything, even tested the soil. pH and minor nutrients all good. I don't understand it - however, I did have two big ornamental grasses growing right behind the tree. I suspected, after trying everything else, the grasses were sucking the nutrients and H20 from the tree.

So . . . I pulled those grasses outta there. Still, even after watering extensively, only a small amt. of green has reappeared - at the very end of the branches.

Should I yank the tree and start over??? If I do, I'd like to plant a crepe mrytle tree. Any opinons on that tree??

All opinions welcome.
You DID NOT get this from me. OK ? FIRST buy a ROSS ROOT FEEDER and the correct ROSS fertilizer cartridges from an ACE hardware 352-751-6680...follow the directions. THEN when you are done with that................. put one quart of hydrogen peroxide around the DRIP LINE for every inch of trunk diameter.......then DEEP WATER the tree. ( that means lay your water hose at the DRIP LINE,,,, on the high side if there is a slope to lawn,,,,,let it run-full on- for over an hour ) NEXT DAY put a Bu## LOAD of DAWN detergent ( MUST BE DAWN ) around the drip line ...water it in ..repeat the "treatments" in 2 weeks. ........OR...... call the US Dept of AG --IFIS division and have Jim Davis give you another method to "save" the tree. 352-753-0124 or 352-793-2728 . The hydrogen peroxide will turn to a magic potion when it contacts the soil ....and ...the DAWN detergent will " eliminate" any bug infestations. Jim will be glad to help for free. He is "stationed" at CR 466 and Morse Blvd.

Last edited by mrfixit; 06-04-2011 at 01:05 AM. Reason: clarify
Closed Thread
Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.