Sand/pebble garden in Buttonwood

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Gold member
Smile Sand/pebble garden in Buttonwood

We have lived in TV for a year, and our constant "tweeking" of the lawn has driven us crazy. First it was grubs eating the roots, then it froze, then it had to be thatched due to damage caused by grubs, and so on. We went to Sea World recently and I admired the sand/pebble gardens throughout the park and thought such a thing would be an excellent replacement for our "lawn". Can anyone offer advice on how to do this, recommend a landscaper, and while I understand we have to leave SOME grass, does anyone know what percentage? Thank you'all.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:36 PM

Please call me i am a landscaper at Fairfield farms nurseries on hwy 301 i can help you with your garden i am a landscape designer and can help you with any type of landscaping project you wish. Thank you Jay @ Fairfield Farms (352)748-7337
Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Location: PBG originally NYC. Moving to The Villages in 2012!

Hi
In your post, Shrandell, you write that you understand we have to leave some grass........
Is that true? I've noticed some homes with very nice attractive shrubbery and rock landscaping. Is there something somewhere in writing that a homeowner needs a percentage of grass? Grass in not environmentally friendly in Florida, so my partner and I would prefer to avoid using it. Also, have you been able to replace your lawn? Hope everything has worked out!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Just remember everything you do needs prior approval from the ARC. I have also heard about some % of grass but have seen nothing on paper. I would say just submit it for review and see what they say. It is a very easy process.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Platinum member
Default Okay, here I go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolaht View Post
Hi
In your post, Shrandell, you write that you understand we have to leave some grass........
Is that true? I've noticed some homes with very nice attractive shrubbery and rock landscaping. Is there something somewhere in writing that a homeowner needs a percentage of grass? Grass in not environmentally friendly in Florida, so my partner and I would prefer to avoid using it. Also, have you been able to replace your lawn? Hope everything has worked out!
Hi Chocolaht.... I see this is your second post. Welcome and I hope you will keep posting!
This isn't meant as a challenge, but I really felt compelled to throw my two cents in about grass in general.
Lawns have benefits. They cool the air on a hot summer day. They give off oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide. They trap air pollution and dust. They control erosion. They feel good to body and spirit.
Some of the most beautiful, ecological research gardens I have seen (California, Seattle and Chicago) include green lawns, moss and green ground cover as integral design elements.
One can always use a push type mulching mower, 'water wise' grass varieties, mow to a length (3") to help shade and supress weeds and use eco-friendly organic products to treat problems- if they want to. A healthy lawn chokes out weeds anyway.
Water usage is the least effective argument for doing away with lawns.
A look at "water challenged" cities shows that more efficient toilets and shower heads would do as much or more as restricting lawn watering. Some think "A Brick in Every Toilet" could save the planet. I don't know.
For those who prefer no maintenance, or those who prefer the look of stone or sand over green.... they are perfectly entitled. I for one, love the look of zen gardens!
But as for me and MY house, I will hang on tenaciously to my grass, if it only be a 12" strip. And I'll do it without feeling guilty. I'll enjoy the heck out of TV's 39 public pools, too.
I'm an earth kid. I love this planet- including the little green blades of grass that my creator made for me to enjoy.
Again, no offense intended to you..... it's nice that you care about things!
Just saying......
So, many good wishes to You!

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 06-08-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: To add a word.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:56 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

The purpose of this letter is to bring to your attention that, after a recent inspection of the above referenced
property, the property is in violation of paragraph 2, section 2.7 of the Deed Restrictions as adopted by the
District for unit 33 which states:
"Each Home and Lot must contain a concrete driveway, the lawn must be sodded, and a lamppost erected in the
front yard of each Lot"

Just received this letter from the VCDD
Old 06-09-2011, 05:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
The purpose of this letter is to bring to your attention that, after a recent inspection of the above referenced
property, the property is in violation of paragraph 2, section 2.7 of the Deed Restrictions as adopted by the
District for unit 33 which states:
"Each Home and Lot must contain a concrete driveway, the lawn must be sodded, and a lamppost erected in the
front yard of each Lot"

Just received this letter from the VCDD
You are funny. But please tell us who you used to be.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:06 AM
Veteran member

It is not funny. We are having our lawn totally replaced and it has been spread to kill the roots before they resod the lawn. A neighbor called the VCDD and complained about our dead lawn so the VCDD sent us that letter without checking first with Us. They also said in the letter, if we didn't comply within 7 days, they could replace our sod and bills us for it and fine Us $150.00 noncompliance fee.

Now do you think that is funny???
Old 06-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
It is not funny. We are having our lawn totally replaced and it has been spread to kill the roots before they resod the lawn. A neighbor called the VCDD and complained about our dead lawn so the VCDD sent us that letter without checking first with Us. They also said in the letter, if we didn't comply within 7 days, they could replace our sod and bills us for it and fine Us $150.00 noncompliance fee.

Do you know why your lawn died in the first place? Did you not water it or was it something else?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Now I new to the Villages and too Florida.Our house is being built. I see all the time of people having trouble with their lawns. How many pay to have their lawns done and how many do their own?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Gold member

I agree with you 100% Uptown Girl. Rocks and concrete hold heat well into the night and you will pay the price in electric bills. Some of my neighbors in Hawaii have concreted their whole back yard and put rocks in other areas. I hear their air conditioners running day and night. I, on the other hand, have large trees on the West side and in other areas around the house along with lots of grass and plants. I do not own and air conditioner. My water bill is higher than theirs but I feel so much better breathing the fresh air and watching all the wild life enjoy my yard.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Sage

There was a thread previously about replacing lawn with rock, but I can't find it. In that old thread, we were discussing TV covenants and restrictions which require you to have at least 70% sod for a house lawn. (Of course, CYVs can be all rock.) In that thread, a poster advised me that there is a Florida "green" LAW permitting the rocking of entire properties. For purposes of water conservation. And that the Florida law overrides any local Villages covenants or restrictions.

Does anyone remember that thread .. perhaps a year or more ago?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Gold member
Default "Lawn" AKA "Place to throw money"

Since I asked for input about replacing our lawn with other alternatives, I was contacted by a landscaper. He said he has replaced sod with water conserving landscaping especially using few plants and many types of rocks, pebbles, etc.
I wrote to the ARC attaching photos I'd found on the internet, all featuring sand, rocks, grasses, trees, and received a notice that my examples would not pass muster because "you will need to add plants" Huh? I DID show plants. So, I am stuck between a rock (had to go there) and a hard place. The landscaper is going to give me his take on my ideas, along with a price. We are not ready to undergo any expense at the moment, I simply wanted to determine the what, and why's of the project. I have received conflicting information. I intend to leave SOME grass, just not much. Appreciate more input. Sandra
Old 06-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Gold member

Yes, I remember reading that ruling, and that's why I was surprised when I got the negative response from the powers that be.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Do you know why your lawn died in the first place? Did you not water it or was it something else?
The grass did not die. We just wanted to get rid of the St Aug grass and have Zoysia grass.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.