Service Smart did it again - and I'm not even a customer!

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2016, 04:57 PM
Veteran member
Default Service Smart did it again - and I'm not even a customer!

My neighbor employs Service Smart. Recently, when I wasn't home, Service Smart performed their "service" on our yard instead of our neighbor's yard. Service Smart's service consisted of trimming the plants so they look awful with jagged edges. They took so much off, the plants now look terrible. I employ someone who has been working hard on hand trimming and getting the plants to look so nice over the last several months. We were sick when we saw what Service Smart did. Thankfully, our plant person takes before and after pictures of the yard when she comes. She sent me the before pictures and I took after pictures. I've forwarded them to the owner of Service Smart so he could look at the damage. I have requested that only 5 plants be replaced since they were cut so low and will take a long time to recover. The purpose of those 5 plants was to hide electrical boxes. Have I gotten a return call? NOPE! I am seriously thinking about small claims court, but have never done anything like that before. Can you tell me how it works, general costs, etc? I would appreciate it! Oh, and this is the second time in a couple years this has happened. I let it go the first time.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager View Post
My neighbor employs Service Smart. Recently, when I wasn't home, Service Smart performed their "service" on our yard instead of our neighbor's yard. Service Smart's service consisted of trimming the plants so they look awful with jagged edges. They took so much off, the plants now look terrible. I employ someone who has been working hard on hand trimming and getting the plants to look so nice over the last several months. We were sick when we saw what Service Smart did. Thankfully, our plant person takes before and after pictures of the yard when she comes. She sent me the before pictures and I took after pictures. I've forwarded them to the owner of Service Smart so he could look at the damage. I have requested that only 5 plants be replaced since they were cut so low and will take a long time to recover. The purpose of those 5 plants was to hide electrical boxes. Have I gotten a return call? NOPE! I am seriously thinking about small claims court, but have never done anything like that before. Can you tell me how it works, general costs, etc? I would appreciate it! Oh, and this is the second time in a couple years this has happened. I let it go the first time.

Find out where he lives and go over to trim his bushes.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Contact Seniors against crime, they will be able to help, and may be able to avoid going to court.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Wonder if they will try to bill you
Old 02-16-2016, 08:59 PM
Gold member

Call the police and ask that charges of trespassing and vandalism be brought against Service Smart. Show them the evidence. That should get his (Kenny Smith, owner) attention.

Xavier
Old 02-16-2016, 09:05 PM
Default Service Scam

Try Seniors vs Crime. It took 6 months but They helped me get my money back from SS. You will never get a call back from Ken Smith, Mojo the bookkeeper or anyone else from that company. Wish there was a way to ban them from doing business in TV.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
Call the police and ask that charges of trespassing and vandalism be brought against Service Smart. Show them the evidence. That should get his (Kenny Smith, owner) attention.

Xavier
I like it!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Not meaning to doubt you, but if you were not home,

1. how do you know that Service Smart did the trimming
2. I received a notice from Seco instructing me to trim way down all the plants around the electrical boxes or they would do it as they needed to always have easy access. Could they have hired Service Smart or some other company to do that task?
https://www.secoenergy.com/landscaping-safely/

You may have the answers and just not mentioned in your initial post.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts
Default May not be a wise idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post

Xavier
Unless you can prove the trimming was done with the intent to cause damage, maliciously, it'll never fly. Nor would the trespassing charge.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Without first hand or video surveillance proof you can't pursue this any further. Sorry, it does suck...
Old 02-17-2016, 01:56 PM
Veteran member

Update - to answer a few questions, I know it was Service Smart for two reasons. 1) they left the bill (for my neighbor) in my door. 2) another neighbor saw them doing the trimming. No notice was ever received by SECO or any other utility company stating bushes needed to be trimmed. If that was the case, then only those bushes would have been trimmed, not around the entire front and back yard landscaping.

A "supervisor" came out this morning. We walked around and looked at the landscaping. I also showed him the before and after pictures. He said "we will see what we can do", which implies they are accepting the responsibility.

I also filed a report with Seniors vs. Crime today. They will step in and contact Service Smart with what I am requesting. On a positive note, Seniors vs. Crime said once they get involved, Service Smart usually does what is asked. Seniors vs. Crime also mentioned the fact the supervisor said what he did implies responsibility. Seniors vs. Crime also mentioned the trespassing issue. I could really take this way further than I am by contacting an attorney.

I am keeping positive and doing the Magic of Believing that Service Smart will step up to the plate, accept responsibility and make it right. They have pictures of more damage they did and if I wanted to get ugly, it would cost them way more money that what I'm asking them to replace.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager View Post
Update - to answer a few questions, I know it was Service Smart for two reasons. 1) they left the bill (for my neighbor) in my door. 2) another neighbor saw them doing the trimming. No notice was ever received by SECO or any other utility company stating bushes needed to be trimmed. If that was the case, then only those bushes would have been trimmed, not around the entire front and back yard landscaping.

A "supervisor" came out this morning. We walked around and looked at the landscaping. I also showed him the before and after pictures. He said "we will see what we can do", which implies they are accepting the responsibility.

I also filed a report with Seniors vs. Crime today. They will step in and contact Service Smart with what I am requesting. On a positive note, Seniors vs. Crime said once they get involved, Service Smart usually does what is asked. Seniors vs. Crime also mentioned the fact the supervisor said what he did implies responsibility. Seniors vs. Crime also mentioned the trespassing issue. I could really take this way further than I am by contacting an attorney.

I am keeping positive and doing the Magic of Believing that Service Smart will step up to the plate, accept responsibility and make it right. They have pictures of more damage they did and if I wanted to get ugly, it would cost them way more money that what I'm asking them to replace.

Excellent. Give 'em hell Harry !
Old 02-17-2016, 04:36 PM
Sage

Glad to hear that this appears to be moving forward, please keep us informed.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:10 PM

For what its worth, twice in the past few months Service Smart workers have come to my house and started to trim my shrubs even though I am not a customer. Fortunately I was home both times so was able to go out and tell them they had the wrong address. So, it clearly happens.
--
Bob C
Old 02-25-2016, 03:44 PM
Sage

I was a customer...got a refund after threatening small claims via message to owner.
Hedge of mature burford hollies were cut back by about 60% to bandaid shaped strips with large gaps between them.
Closed Thread

Tags
service, plants, smart, yard, pictures, time, trimming, return, boxes, hide, electrical, call, nope, small, thinking, purpose, cut, replaced, low, recover, claims, long, couple, happened, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.