Snails! Help!

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2019, 04:41 PM
Gold member
Default Snails! Help!

Snails are destroying my garden! I have never had them before. They’re destroying my hostas, and spreading rapidly. Do you know of a control? A spray?

Did the beer thing... got dozens of them but, it seems, the majority prevailed. And the damned things aren’t even large enough to eat.

Experienced advice greatly appreciated.

-H
Old 07-02-2019, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Snails are destroying my garden! I have never had them before. They’re destroying my hostas, and spreading rapidly. Do you know of a control? A spray?

Did the beer thing... got dozens of them but, it seems, the majority prevailed. And the damned things aren’t even large enough to eat.

Experienced advice greatly appreciated.

-H
Diatomaceous earth is not a quick fix but will ultimately kill them. It's not poison, it's a naturally-occurring mineral clay. It also will kill ants and other ground-nesting insects. It does this by injuring the snails/grubs, and dehydrating anything with an exoskeleton.

It's also GOOD for the soil. It is totally non-toxic to mammals of any kind, including dogs and cats, though I wouldn't recommend feeding it to either. If it gets on their paws you can just rinse it right off. You can get it at any Agway, Home Depot, Lowes, or any other agricultural store. Usually near or on the same shelf as other organic lawn treatments and pesticides.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:13 PM
Gold member

Thank you, Jazuela. I have read a lot about DE and have come up with very mixed results. One person’s experiment showed that DE slows down the snails, but eventually they will climb right over a pile of it.

I found a product called Corry’s Slug & Snail Killer. It is 5% sodium ferric EDTA. For use on turf, ornamentals, vegetables and fruit. Safe for humans and pets. Purportedly it causes the snails to stop eating, leave and die. Nice and neatly, don’t you think?

However, it poses a new dilemma. Directions are to spread the granules around NOT OVER plants.

Here’s the dilemma: how to spread 1/2 teaspoon per square yard. Huh? How do you do that with any uniformity? I only have about two yards to treat! Ideas, anyone?
Old 07-09-2019, 12:30 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

At Lowes:

Item # 905155 Model # HG-4536

Garden Safe Brand 2-lb Snail and Slug Killer
Old 07-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

For a less 'chemical' way.
Snails and slugs do not like rough, sharp surfaces. Sharp grit, broken egg shells etc. around plants helps.
Beer in a pot will take care of many. They love the stuff and drown in it.
As far as Slug and snail pellets are concerned, just take a handfull and scatter on the ground under and around perimeter.
You can of course , with a small area, pick them off by hand.
Closed Thread

Tags
snails, destroying, prevailed, dozens, damned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.