Soliciting Informed Opinions on Bamboo

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2021, 06:39 AM

Don't do it. I put in clumping when we first moved in. It kept getting wider and wider. Tried to cut it down and poured roundup direct full strength undiluted on it, it grew back. Did this for 2 years, you can't kill it. Finally we had a hurricane come threw that knocked it over with roots in the air. We paid a landscaper to tie a chain around the whole thing and Rip the rest out of the ground using his pickup truck, then poured concentrated Roundup all over the hole it left. Thank God that did it. I will never again plant any type of bamboo in my yard. Think long and hard before you put that pretty little plant in your yard.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:43 AM
Veteran member

I am starting to shake as I read these responses, bringing back memories of my house in NY where my neighbor planted running bamboo. Impossible to control, came up under my driveway, pool and sidewalk, ruining them. It constantly drops leaves which have to be cleaned up, if you want to keep your property nice looking. When I was selling my house, I kept my fingers crossed as my real estate agent pointed out the good about bamboo. Privacy, green all year, pretty to look at. I won't even mention the problems when it snowed, does not matter here. Couldn't get away fast enough from that house, even though I loved the house. Clumping bamboo is the way to go, if you must have it. For me, I hope I never live anywhere near it again.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:44 AM
Veteran member

My experience with bamboo is a little different

As part of my pool "landscaping" I have a lot of bamboo... in my Tiki bar! All real bamboo was used in my first retirement project 3 years ago:

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 05-18-2021, 06:52 AM

We have had a clumping type of bamboo for several years. It is disease free and very hardy, surviving our 28' winter a few years ago. It is maintenance free except it drops a fair amount of leaves. Visit "Beautiful Bamboo" in Groveland, south of the Villages for an interesting experience and huge selection of bamboo.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:53 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
My experience with bamboo is a little different

As part of my pool "landscaping" I have a lot of bamboo... in my Tiki bar! All real bamboo was used in my first retirement project 3 years ago:

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Now that I like. Very very cool!
Old 05-18-2021, 06:53 AM

Check out Beautiful Bamboo in Groveland: Bamboo from Florida for Privacy & Beauty. Fast-Growing, Non-Invasive Florida grown Clump and Running Bamboos, near Orlando, Florida | Need Privacy? Want Beauty? Plant Bamboo! Fast-Growing, Non-Invasive Florida grown Clump and Running Bamboos - Giant, mid-size and Dwarf varieties - 30 min. west of Orlando, Florida.. They have a slew of different kinds of bamboo, running and clumping. They are experts - that's what they do. Before you decide, take a drive and check it out.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:55 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

Only if you don't like your neighbors. Spreads like a wild fire.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:11 AM

Great info, I was aware that some species are much easier to manage than others. Appreciate everyone’s input thanks so much. I will proceed with caution. Doug
Old 05-18-2021, 07:12 AM

Looks great, what time does happy hour start :-)
Old 05-18-2021, 07:17 AM

We had bamboo in Key West....They can be very beautiful and grows fast...the only issue we found was that they are very very messy when shedding there leafs. Black bamboo is very attractive.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Only if you don't like your neighbors. Spreads like a wild fire.
Wrong.
If you plant the right species, it doesn't.
You are just condemning all types without considering the alternatives.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:35 AM
Veteran member
Default Bamboo

We planted about 50 ft of bamboo in our yard in New Jersey, there are many types from a short 4-ft to 24 ft tall versions. Depending on the type you get you have to build a wall in the soil so it doesn't spread. There are many nurseries in Florida with bamboo for you to look at and it's a beautiful addition to a yard if you get the right types, also note the bark can be very different from type to type as well as the coloring. We really enjoyed our bamboo and I miss it. It's not grown as much here because of the non-native palms everyone seems to plant but forget that they have to take care of and trim all the time. Bamboo on the other hand will take care of itself and of course the advantage is that it doesn't widen like an oak tree if you get the right types. Again the nurseries arer your friends and have a lot of information
Old 05-18-2021, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Had a bad experience with it spreading out of control. It is hard to kill. Another bad thing about bamboo is that it attracts HORNETS big time. They must eat some part of the plant.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:18 AM

Bamboo is an invasive species. I once owned a house in Costa Rica and my gardener told me that he had planted a single row of bamboo years ago. When I told him to cut it back, we found it had grown over 6 feet thick along one side of my property. Every week he had to chop out new growth in the orchard of fruit trees or it would have been overran. It took me two years to finally chop its new growth. Don’t need chemicals, just chop the sprouts.

Bottom line, ONLY plant bamboo in containers. You and your neighbors will be much happier.

Last edited by Woodchopper545; 05-18-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:19 AM

Spread like weeds. Can't get rid of them
Closed Thread

Tags
bamboo, soliciting, ugly, bad, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.