Soliciting Informed Opinions on Bamboo

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2021, 08:33 AM

Clumping kind only but don't it. But... if you must and you change your mind it is almost impossible to rid of. Same goes for banana trees. They both hold on to lots of water and a water source that attracts critters you don't want. Cock Roaches and rats.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:35 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

In some places, communities have outlawed the planting of bamboo because of their invasiveness. However, there are varieties that donot run. If you really want it, do your homework.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:27 AM

My neighbor has added bamboo to her landscaping - I’m tired of daily sweeping up her dried leaves on my porch and driveway (and we live 2 doors down!).
Old 05-18-2021, 09:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee Dubya View Post
Looks great, what time does happy hour start :-)
Generally every day , all afternoon/evening

I'm a homebrewer, so always 3 beers on tap!
Old 05-18-2021, 09:36 AM

Yes I love it
Old 05-18-2021, 09:51 AM

Belongs in a jungle. A neighbor put bamboo flooring in their den. Within a year it had spread to all the other rooms in their house. If you get talked into this stuff after all these warnings, you will finally get the point. Florida is where the elderly get to make mistakes over and over and the do it again.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
I have it and it is growing on the side of my house. It was supposed to grow up to six feet tall but grows higher in my yard. This is Florida and things grow bigger! I do trim it to keep it under control. It is a clumping variety of bamboo, similar to what The Villages plants off the multi modal paths down around 466A. Running types are not good to plant as they become invasive. The clumping types are like a clump of landscape grass that grows a little wider each year. Just keep an eye on it! Removing it would be a tough job of digging, but I haven’t felt the need to do that. It looks good and gives a tropical feel to the yard. My wife and I like it.
yours looks nice! my in-laws had it @ their home, it grew wild like others have said & is really hard to control
Old 05-18-2021, 10:26 AM

Or get a Panda to eat the bamboo...
Old 05-18-2021, 01:16 PM

Just don't put it in your yard -- unless you own acreage !!
Old 05-18-2021, 01:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Please reply if you have first-hand experience using bamboo in your landscaping. The good the bad and the ugly.
Thanks, Doug
Nasty, Nasty stuff...... My neighbor behind us planted it and now it over 16 ft high and expensive to maintain.

Has caused drainage problems due to expansion at root base.

Too many other nice things to plant in Florida. Save your money and aggravation down the road.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
I have it and it is growing on the side of my house. It was supposed to grow up to six feet tall but grows higher in my yard. This is Florida and things grow bigger! I do trim it to keep it under control. It is a clumping variety of bamboo, similar to what The Villages plants off the multi modal paths down around 466A. Running types are not good to plant as they become invasive. The clumping types are like a clump of landscape grass that grows a little wider each year. Just keep an eye on it! Removing it would be a tough job of digging, but I haven’t felt the need to do that. It looks good and gives a tropical feel to the yard. My wife and I like it.
Looks a lot like the marijuana I chopped down as a Trooper. 😳
Old 05-18-2021, 09:28 PM
Default Do not plant any bamboo

[QUOTE=DeeCee Dubya;1945929]Please reply if you have first-hand experience using bamboo in your landscaping. The good the bad and the ugly.
Thanks, Doug[/QUOTE}]

Took me a little over 2 years of fighting it daily to destroy it. My spouse calls it devils grass. Hate, hate, hate it. Your neighbors will hate, hate, hate it. DONT DO IT.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Please reply if you have first-hand experience using bamboo in your landscaping
Old 05-19-2021, 06:19 PM
Default Bamboos can be very invasive

Quote:
Please reply if you have first-hand experience using bamboo in your landscaping. The good the bad and the ugly.
Thanks, Doug
Bamboos can be very invasive! They're great privacy hedges/trees and I had planted 2 different varieties at my home in Merritt Island 20 years ago. The ones that I planted had these tiny hairline sort of splinters that came off of them in the wind and into my pool all the time. They can grow like crazy. I had to wear a long sleeve shirt to even cut them. Just be aware of that and if you plant them, try to keep the growth under control yourself because, lots of tree trimmers don't care to have to cut them or they want to charge extra. Oh and wear a long sleeve shirt too.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:32 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

Every spring it invades the rear parking lot at my office from my neighbor. Comes right thru the asphalt. Everyday new growth up to 10 inches high. And what a mess from the leaves make when blown around. Be nice to your neighbors and don't plant any.
Closed Thread

Tags
bamboo, soliciting, ugly, bad, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.