Spanish Moss in my Shrub Tree

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2022, 12:26 PM
Default Spanish Moss in my Shrub Tree

I have 8 feet wide and 9 feet tall shrub tree in front of my villa. I just saw some small brown spot on the leaves and looked inside the tree and it's been housing a lot of Spanish moss. I've seen around the villages some trees killed by the moss. What's the best way to remove them? Can I spray weed killer on the tree? One I have is weed and grass killer. Would it hurt the tree?

Cheers!
Old 12-02-2022, 01:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,964 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbang View Post
I have 8 feet wide and 9 feet tall shrub tree in front of my villa. I just saw some small brown spot on the leaves and looked inside the tree and it's been housing a lot of Spanish moss. I've seen around the villages some trees killed by the moss. What's the best way to remove them? Can I spray weed killer on the tree? One I have is weed and grass killer. Would it hurt the tree?

Cheers!
Let Google be your friend
There are generally three types of sprays used for killing Spanish moss: copper, potassium, and baking soda. While all are reasonably safe to use and may even provide additional benefits, some may present challenges too.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Spanish Moss Removal: Treatment For Trees With Spanish Moss Killing Spanish Moss - Learn How To Get Rid Of Spanish Moss
Old 12-05-2022, 02:15 PM

I would not do ANY of that. Spanish moss is not a killer. Ball moss is though. You can clear either on with copper sulfate spray, available everywhere. Do a couple applications.
If true spanish moss, just remove it by hand... post in here for the arts and crafts people to come get it, they will probably come pick it for free. Is actually kind of expensive.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbang View Post

Cheers!
Here is an article from University of Florida, IFAS extension, which says the moss won't harm the trees: ENH1224/EP485: Spanish Moss, Ball Moss, and Lichens - Harmless Epiphytes
Closed Thread

Tags
tree, moss, spanish, weed, killer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.