Sprinkler head size? 4 or 6"

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2022, 10:21 AM
Smile Sprinkler head size? 4 or 6"

Are our sprinklers bodies 4" or 6" long, (St Catherine + Fenny areas),

and what is the intake connection thread? I'm hoping 3/4' but I think our cheaper units are all 1/2" connections.

My rotary nozzles are poor performers and I think I will change out many of the sprinklers to legit rotary heads, more like the Villages uses on their property.

The better rotaries start with 3/4" intakes, although Hunter does have a 1/2" intake.

I'm sure others have made this change.

Many thanks for any info you're able to share.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Are our sprinklers bodies 4" or 6" long, (St Catherine + Fenny areas),

and what is the intake connection thread? I'm hoping 3/4' but I think our cheaper units are all 1/2" connections.

My rotary nozzles are poor performers and I think I will change out many of the sprinklers to legit rotary heads, more like the Villages uses on their property.

The better rotaries start with 3/4" intakes, although Hunter does have a 1/2" intake.

I'm sure others have made this change.

Many thanks for any info you're able to share.
It varies. I’ve seen 4” and 6” spray bodies used in the same yard, both of which have 1/2” inlet size. In fact I did a repair for a customer in Bradford yesterday whose yard had 4 and 6’s. Hunter makes a nice rotor which is 1/2” (Hunter PGJ).

It really has nothing to do with being “cheap”, it has to do with water conservation, hence the reason TV went from the old school 3/4” inlet rotors to fixed spray heads and eventually the Hunter MP Rotators which are now widely (and almost exclusively) installed here.

And you can certainly change out heads to best suit your needs. Just remember to adjust your run times accordingly if you’re going from MP Rotators, for example, to the mini rotors.

Last edited by photo1902; 05-20-2022 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Years ago I switched from rotary heads to RainBird spray heads. Depending on what coverage I need, I use VAN 4 to VAN 18 heads. All are adjustable to 360 degrees. My pop ups are 4" with a 1/2 inch intake. Unless you have a very large yard with low number of heads, these Rainbirds should work. You can order directly from Rainbird.

Rain Bird Sprinklers
Old 05-22-2022, 12:02 PM

Thank you. I very much appreciate your replies.
Closed Thread

Tags
change, 3/4, 1/2, intake, rotary

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.