St Augustine Grass

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2019, 04:44 PM
Default St Augustine Grass

Does any have any suggestions on what fertilizer you should use for this type of grass? My yard is turning a yellow on the tips of the blades of grass as well as some of the grass has died in some random patches....
Old 01-01-2019, 04:52 PM
Default St Augustine Grass

Any suggestions on what fertilizer to use on this type of grass? Have dead patches in the yard that are growing horizontally in the dirt,while other areas seem to be thriving in the yard?
Old 01-01-2019, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

St. Augustines does this in the winter, it should come back in the spring after the real winter is over and done.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-01-2019, 06:08 PM
Platinum member

You have probably overwatered and have a nitrogen deficiency.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:09 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

It is going into dormancy soon. I use Scott's turf builder for southern lawns every other month and use Millorganite the months that I don't use Scotts. I last applied it in December and will now wait until March. In between you will need some pesticide and fungicide, weed killer can be used as a spot treatment or you can get weed and feed. Doing it yourself will make it much more lush and green than using any of the well known services. When you drive down streets that are all St. Augustine, you can easily pick out the ones the homeowner takes care of himself. You can also search "St. Augustine Lawn Care" for more in depth instructions on how much to apply and watering.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:27 PM
Default Few sugestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson23 View Post
Any suggestions on what fertilizer to use on this type of grass? Have dead patches in the yard that are growing horizontally in the dirt,while other areas seem to be thriving in the yard?
It is now 1/1/19 and it is, "winter," You should read about when to apply fertilizer.

I do not have St Augustine rather I have Empire Zoyzia. You can and should look up the time to fertilize. I believe it is the same for St Augustine as for The Zoyzia. Last time to apply fertilizer is October and time to start is April.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:13 PM

Ok thanks so much for the info
Old 01-02-2019, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Another great resource is the Master gardener program, they have meetings a few times per month in several of the rec centers.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Veteran member

The times to fertilize are March, June and September. Use Lesco Palm fertilizer 8-2-12 +4 (minor minerals that are essential) It has been formulated for our soil and the grass responds beautifully. it can be used on flowers and shrubs as well. Don't fertilize now. The dead patches you are seeing are maybe what is called "Large Patch" also called Brown patch, a fungus that stays in the soil and cannot be eliminated, only controlled. The cause of it are warm days and cool nights and wet shady conditions. If you have a lawn service, ask them to come and look at it because you think it has Large patch. One of the ear marks is a pale yellow halo around the dead area. Here are the key steps to treating Brown Patch:
- Water only in the morning
- Try to reduce watering as much as possible until the disease is gone
- Aerate the soil in the affected areas
- Aerate the entire lawn to stop further outbreaks
- Stop fertilization until the lawn is recovered
- Apply a fungicide if necessary

- Wash lawn mowers of all clippings after mowing an infected lawn

A good source for lawn and garden questions is University of FLorida. Check out what they have to say:

Lawn Diseases - Gardening Solutions - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

Last edited by big guy; 01-08-2019 at 10:29 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-10-2019, 09:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
It is going into dormancy soon. I use Scott's turf builder for southern lawns every other month and use Millorganite the months that I don't use Scotts. I last applied it in December and will now wait until March. In between you will need some pesticide and fungicide, weed killer can be used as a spot treatment or you can get weed and feed. Doing it yourself will make it much more lush and green than using any of the well known services. When you drive down streets that are all St. Augustine, you can easily pick out the ones the homeowner takes care of himself. You can also search "St. Augustine Lawn Care" for more in depth instructions on how much to apply and watering.
Don't use weed killer on St Augustine grass unless it is Atrazine. 2,4,D will kill St Augustine grass. READ the label.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.