St Augustine grass

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2021, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
Sure looks like your grass is seeding which it will do, but not an expert on St Augustine other than I've had it at all three of my homes in Florida and really don't care for the look or for walking on it. I wonder why Bermuda or Zoysia isn't more popular here?
As far as grass type the type you have depends on where your home is. Most people areas, have either St Augustine or Empire Zoyzia. Sadly, endless useless posting of my lawn can take your lawn.

Each has pluses and minuses and each can grow a nice lawn. In terms of PROPER care, they are different.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
St. Augustine grass does not have seeds. It replicates via runners under the ground.
Actually that is not so. There are many varieties of St Augustine grass. You can buy St Augustine grass seed, it is not the same variety planted by the builders in the villages.

Runners Zoyzia runs them under ground. St Augustine runs them on top.

Both the variety of St Augustine planted in the villages and the empire zoysia do produce seeds. They are either not viable or since both are hybrids they will not breed true.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:48 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

The Developer used Empire Zoysia between 466A and State Route 44 in all of the villages. South of 44 they are using St. Augustine grass. The area between 466 and 466A has both types of grasses. I have Empire Zoysia and like it and have friends who have St. Augustine grass and they like it. Some probably don’t care for either! To each his own. As to why the Developer has changed the type of grass south of 44 you would have to ask the Developer. The white “stuff” on your grass I would contact a company like Massey or Deans who applies fertilizer and other various chemicals on yards for a living.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerism View Post
The runners are called Stollons. They actually shoot out above the soil.
Use a generous covering of Cow Poop mixed with top soil. The grass will jump back in a week.

When & How to Plant & Grow St. Augustine Grass - Scotts
Stolons are what run beneath the earth; runners are above the earth
Old 06-17-2021, 09:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
Looks like asparagus.
That’s what I thought too.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
Sure looks like your grass is seeding which it will do, but not an expert on St Augustine other than I've had it at all three of my homes in Florida and really don't care for the look or for walking on it. I wonder why Bermuda or Zoysia isn't more popular here?
Zoysia common south of 44
Old 07-20-2021, 06:58 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,073 Times in 430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksansky View Post
Zoysia common south of 44
I haven't seen any Empire Zoysia in the villages South of SR44. All of the grass (sod) being placed in the new home's is St. Augustine. Specifically, it is a type of St. Augustine called Floratam. This is a variant jointly developed by the University of Florida and Texas A&M geared to the soil and climate of our region. In the common areas owned by The Villages, the developer typically plants Bahia grass.
Closed Thread

Tags
grass, augustine, stuff, fuzzy, white

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.