Still looking for recommendations for landscape designer

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2021, 06:20 PM

We have used TerraScape 3 times for different projects, always successfully. Megan really know what plants will thrive is different locations. A bit disappointed the last time (about a year ago) when the project (front of house redo) was delayed a few times, but then again the weather wasn’t cooperating. New rules last year - $1500 minimum for new customers, $1000 for existing customers. They are very busy, so expect a delay before Megan can get to your house. However, once there, she has really good ideas on what to do.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:06 PM

We used Distinctive Designs by Lori (Lori King) 386-478-9887. Was very responsive to our phone calls. Came in with interesting designs. When the contract was signed, she made sure that the design was approved by the appropriate boards, came when she said she would, cleaned up every night before leaving, and made sure that we were happy. Also gave us a 1 year guarantee on the plants which she honored. Definitely not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:29 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

It has been a few years since we did our landscaping. At the time, we used Village Palms on 466. They were not cheap but they did decent work.

Anyway, I do not know how they are now, but the reason I chose them at the time was because I knew for sure that I wanted a “bricks and mortar” operation — where I could actually go there — to their place of business.

I see that there are some businesses recommended in this thread that you can walk into and see what you think. That could be a start.

There are some around TV who will talk a good story but can disappear on a whim, leaving a customer with no idea how to find them.

If you don’t know anything about landscaping plants in this zone, it would be a good idea to educate yourself a little so you don’t get oversold and overplanted.

Boomer
Old 08-02-2021, 05:30 AM

well it's been frustrating, but i have at least 2 different outfits working on a plan for us. and possibly a third. we shall see what transpires. thanks for the ideas

Yoda
Old 08-31-2021, 11:47 AM

Good design is one thing. Good engineering is something no one talks about.
80% of the jobs done will be spending major money in 3-5 years. This is just a sad fact. Too easy for someone with no real education in REAL landscaping, to get a few easy power lines to answer all your questions and sell you a job. What? your neighbor/ frien used them and they did great? Oh, but your neighbor/ friend is calling another landscaper in 3 years because the 'great' landscape had poor engineering and installation practices. Escapes or Jamie's in my opinion. The rest just wish they knew what they were doing, but are enjoying the easy money.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Good design is one thing. Good engineering is something no one talks about.
80% of the jobs done will be spending major money in 3-5 years. This is just a sad fact. Too easy for someone with no real education in REAL landscaping, to get a few easy power lines to answer all your questions and sell you a job. What? your neighbor/ frien used them and they did great? Oh, but your neighbor/ friend is calling another landscaper in 3 years because the 'great' landscape had poor engineering and installation practices. Escapes or Jamie's in my opinion. The rest just wish they knew what they were doing, but are enjoying the easy money.
So, are you recommending Jamies and Escapes, or not recommending them? As for Mansfield, they have a physical location, but that guy's difficult attitude was well known 13 years ago when we were new here.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:52 AM

Agree with you on Mansfield's attitude. His designs are at least decent looking at first, but leave a lot to be desired in the years ahead. I hear the "job security" line in my head when I am called in a few years later to re-do a Mansfield job.

Recommending Jamie's and Escapes. Leaning towards Escapes because Bobby has a lot of infrastructure engineering experience, and today's landscapes are heavy on the hardscapes.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:56 AM
Default Labor Shortage

We received an email from our lawn service recently that they are having trouble hiring employees, and so will concentrate on the lawn mowing and yard maintenance part of their business and are delaying all the landscaping projects.

Could be why you are having trouble getting call-backs.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:03 AM

Tim C.

Have you decided on an landscaper? If so, can you share the company's name and contact info? I close on Oct 25, 2021 and want some plants put in.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullys View Post
Tim C.

Have you decided on an landscaper? If so, can you share the company's name and contact info? I close on Oct 25, 2021 and want some plants put in.
I would strongly recommend calling Focal Point Design and Landscaping (352-821-0823) Derrick (owner) and crew are TERRIFIC to work with. I interviewed the usual characters as referenced in many threads and decided on Focal Point based on responsiveness, design and timing.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

You might give Village Palm a try....we met with them, they drew up a design and we had them do the work
Old 10-27-2021, 06:24 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Luis Landscaping

Luis did 2 major jobs on both of my houses. Has done many in our neighborhood.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:44 AM
Platinum member

Luke's landscaping (352) 617-3444 very professional operation
Old 11-03-2021, 08:52 AM

Who did you go with? I have a quote from Luis Landscaping and was thinking about using him.

joe sullivan
Old 11-03-2021, 10:37 AM
Gold member

We tried Village Palms. Rep came over, took photos, asked several good questions, and said she would have a drawing in our hands by Friday. Friday came and went, but we got it the following week. Looked really nice. We had a couple of minor changes, communicated them to her in a return email, and we were promised a quote. Never received the quote. After waiting a couple weeks, emailed back, "Where is the quote?" Again, no response whatsoever. We will contact the owner/manager of the place later this week to question their business practices. A simple "Your project is not big enough for our booming business" would have been disappointing, but accepted. But for them to totally drop the ball and stop communications was entirely unacceptable. Will try Terra Scapes this afternoon.
Closed Thread

Tags
jobs, waiting, company, cost, friday

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.