Stressed Zoysia Lawn

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2019, 06:34 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Zoysia is very sensitive to cold or even cool weather. It should grow in just fine in March.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
Put in St. Augustine. Remove the Zosia. St. Augustine is glossy and has wide blades & beautiful. We did it. A little expensive and lots of work, but we couldn’t deal with that scrawny thin bladed Zoysia any more. The Villages is now putting in St. Augustine in all new areas.
Are you in TV?

If you had Zoysia, then your neighbors on both sides had Zoysia. When you replaced your Zoysia with St. Augustine, how were you (and they) able to prevent infiltration going in both directions. Sounds like a lot of cost and work for what?
Old 12-17-2019, 10:54 AM

Hello VT...

I had Deans come out and inspect the mounds along the edging of my lawn. They told me its moles and said they don't treat it. Thoughts please.

Thanks,
Ralph
Old 12-17-2019, 01:24 PM
Gold member

If you are growing Zoysia on top of 4 inches of thatch, you are going to have disease/bugs/root rot. Cut to 2.5 inches. I use a systemic insecticide called Dominion 2L to control those pesky bugs.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
Hello VT...

I had Deans come out and inspect the mounds along the edging of my lawn. They told me its moles and said they don't treat it. Thoughts please.

Thanks,
Ralph
We had moles twice. First year we had professionals come out and trap them. They got 2 of them. While they're not cheap, they do a good job. They tell you up front that there are no guarantees that they will catch them, but they did come by to check the traps for a few weeks until they caught them. If you google "how to trap moles", you can do it yourself with the right traps. I did myself and got 2.

ABOVE AND BEYOND WILDLIFE CONTROL, LLC
(352) 568-1355 (352) 341-1355 (352) 797-9779

TO BUY TRAPS:
Victor Out O ight Mole Trap 0631
Old 12-18-2019, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default My two cents worth-for free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Have several brown spots on our lawn, & the lawn looks lumpy--looking for solutions
You are going to get tons of opinions. No one can properly analyze your real problem from your description.
The cooperative extension s a great resource. For your,"Brown spots," you want to remove a piece of sod at the boarder between where the problem is and where it is not. Take it into the cooperative extension so they can see it. If, you take it out, you can actually bring it back and replant it. You can and should take pictures of your lawn. "Brown spots," could be insects, fungus. Someone read your,"lumpy," description and thought moles. Perhaps? If you don't know how to recognize moles you can find it on the internet. Moles feed on insects by making tunnels. If, you have moles you also have an insect infestation.

It, could be that one of your sprinkler zones, heads, are plugged buried or cut off with a mower.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:19 AM
Sage
Default As to thatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
If you are growing Zoysia on top of 4 inches of thatch, you are going to have disease/bugs/root rot. Cut to 2.5 inches. I use a systemic insecticide called Dominion 2L to control those pesky bugs.
If, I recall the instructions say to de-thatch every 3-4 years.
I bought an electric vertical rake ???? green??? avail at Walmart, Amazon etc for about $100. Out of my 5,000 sq foot lawn it pulled out about 10 of those paper trash bags we are forced to use
each bag packed down and filled to the top. It is a lot of work
to rake up all that material and put it in the bags. I believe a pro will charge you a little more than buying the machine.

As to zoysia, we have some st Augustine intrusion brought in by one of the mower guys. As St Augustine spreads by surface runners and zoysia runners are below ground, the rake set correctly will rip out the St Augustine without much damage to the zoysia.

Now is not a good time to de-thatch your lawn as you open it up for weeds. Best time is late April early May.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:26 PM
Sage
Default Sounds like a soon to be turf war

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Are you in TV?

If you had Zoysia, then your neighbors on both sides had Zoysia. When you replaced your Zoysia with St. Augustine, how were you (and they) able to prevent infiltration going in both directions. Sounds like a lot of cost and work for what?
I'm not sure what the rules are but would expect there are some.
Our lawns are all attached. If, one neighbor has Zoyzia and the other St Augustine there is nothing to stop them spreading into each
other. Both neighbors will eventually have patches of each.

There is no perfect grass. Every grass that is used in a lawn have pluses and minuses. St Augustine, particularly in hot times can be wiped out with common broad-leaf weed killer-24D and if you have it intruding into a zoysia lawn that is one solution. Another chemical control for St Augustine that will not kill Zoysia is sold as
Quin kill max
Old 12-18-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Are you in TV?

Yes we live in The V. And yes neighbors on both sides have Zoysia. Our St Augustine is growing into their Zoysia and mixing in. Actually makes their lawns look better on each side of us. It was a lot of cost & work...and for what you ask. Well the lawn is now beautiful. It doesn’t look scrawny like the Zoysia grass. We are originally from S. Fl & missed our St. Augustine. It is a personal preference that gives us satisfaction.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:21 AM
Default Zoysia Grass Problem

We used to have one area that would mound up some and grass was almost dead. I would replace that section, but the following fall would experience the same problem. I noticed small round holes in the lawn (about the size of ball point pen barrel). I also noticed a few times a bug about the size of a small grasshopper with no wings on the lawn.

I told my lawn/termite people and they told me that those were
mole crickets. They lay about 150 eggs and the young eat the roots of the zoysia grass. This is why the grass almost dies and it feel soft and lumpy. The spraying for mole crickets have to be applied within a 1 1/2 month window during the summer.

Since they started this spraying regimen, I have not had a problem with my lawn.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Keeping a good looking lawn here is akin to trying to grow grass on a sand dune.
I thought that was what everone in TV was doing anyway!
Old 01-27-2020, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlee500 View Post
. ...... I have 2 dogs and brown spots becausey they want to go as soon as they are out. I am away for the summer and upon return, no brown spots.
In NJ, I had a brick path leading to a "potty area" for our dog. I used about 3" of soft mulch in the area so it would be comfortable for his paws. Would it help to have a "potty area" for the dogs? Are we allowed to set aside a place like that for pets in the backs of our homes?

If I had a dog here in The Villages, I would carve out a small patch for the potty area and line the edge with small shrubs so it would not be visible to neighbors. Leave a small opening for entering the potty area. I used to turn over the mulch every couple of months and replenish the mulch when it started to break down. Worked out really well and did not have my lawn compromised in any way.

Now.....what do we do with dog owners who insist on walking their dogs and allowing them to pee on their neighbor's lawns? I was never guilty of that as I did not allow my leashed dog to walk on anyone's lawn. If he wanted to pee, the street was just fine for that.

Last edited by coffeebean; 01-27-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
Put in St. Augustine. Remove the Zosia. St. Augustine is glossy and has wide blades & beautiful. We did it. A little expensive and lots of work, but we couldn’t deal with that scrawny thin bladed Zoysia any more. The Villages is now putting in St. Augustine in all new areas.
When we purchased our home in 2013, 95% of the lawn on our property was Zoisia. There was a patch, about 5%, that was St. Augustine. The original owner of the home replace a bad patch of lawn, using the incorrect type of sod which was the St. Augustine. At the time, I had no idea the St. Augustine grass would kill off the Zoisia.

I have found that the St. Augustine is heartier than the Zoisia because nearly half of my lawn now is St. Augustine. The St. Augustine has killed off the Zoisia as it makes it's way around the property.

One thing I like about St. Augustine better than the Zoisia is that it is much heartier in cold weather. It does not go dormant. Another, very important feature of the St. Augustine is that is DOES NOT TUNNEL into the flower beds. I find the St. Augustine travels above ground into the flower beds and is so much easier to keep the beds clear of the grass. Actually while living in South Florida, someone once told me St. Augustine is not really a grass. It is a weed. I don't mind though as it is very hearty and very green and easy to maintain.

Last edited by coffeebean; 01-27-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Are you in TV?

I just posted about this. Infiltration of the St. Augustine is inevitable. That small amount of sod which was planted by the original owner of our home has crept it's way and is not nearly the dominant grass on our property. My neighbor behind our home had St. Augustine on his property which infiltrated our Zoisia when we moved in. That Zoisia is now gone and the lawn in the back yard is pretty much solid St. Augustine.

The St. Augustine is stronger than the Zoisia. The Zoisia loses and St. Augustine wins. Not sure how the neighbors feel but there is nothing I can do about it. It is what it is.

Last edited by coffeebean; 01-27-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:01 AM
Gold member

A neighbor on a bigger corner lot had about 4 inches of thatch and his yard looked like an old Scottish Links course because of crickets and webworms feasting on the roots. He bought a lawn mower and proceeded to dethatch but quit after just a few passes...He hired someone to dethatch and they took 2 large truckloads of thatch away, and the lawn still needed more dethatching.

I just buzzcut my Zoysia lawn to 1" mid-June when the rain season starts. I have a small lawn and I fill about 12 yard bags. I mow to 2" during rain season and 2.5" during dry season. Use high N and K w/ iron fertilizer during hot/dry season when the Zoysia is being stressed.

Last edited by MorTech; 02-06-2020 at 02:11 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, stressed, zoysia, brown, spots

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.