Strimmers

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2022, 07:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Strimmers

All of the gardeners in this area operate their strimmers in the same way: revving the engine every second like frustrated bikers.

I doubt that any of them went to strimmer school, so I assume that they just learnt to do this from listening to other operators.

Is this really the most efficient way to strim? It makes a very annoying noise and is probably not too good for the engine or fuel economy (thus producing more pollution). Would a constant engine speed - such as they use when blowing leaves - not be better?
Old 06-22-2022, 02:07 PM

I think there's something wrong with your keyboard.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

I'm taking it that the OP has never used a string trimmer.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecmo View Post
I think there's something wrong with your keyboard.
I have no idea what you mean by this, stevecmo - maybe you can explain in a little more detail. Thank you.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
I'm taking it that the OP has never used a string trimmer.
I have, and I have also read several articles on how best to strim, and none of them has mentioned revving the engine up and down.

Several say something similar to: "a strimmer utilises high speed centrifugal force to do all the cutting - essentially the faster it spins, the stiffer the line, the greater the cutting potential" so slowing the rotational speed will produce an inferior cut.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,028 Times in 2,726 Posts

Simple, the user revs it up when cutting and lets up on the throttle in between. Makes no sense to keep the engine revved up when not cutting. Same thing when using a chain saw.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I have, and I have also read several articles on how best to strim, and none of them has mentioned revving the engine up and down.

Several say something similar to: "a strimmer utilises high speed centrifugal force to do all the cutting - essentially the faster it spins, the stiffer the line, the greater the cutting potential" so slowing the rotational speed will produce an inferior cut.
But, it's so macho. Like riding around on a v8-powered chrome-plated air-conditioned riding mower to mow a postage stamp. (I may have exaggerated just a little)

My personal suggestion is that all lawns have to be mowed on one day - say, Tuesdays. That will give us peace and quiet the other 6 days a week.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Simple, the user revs it up when cutting and lets up on the throttle in between. Makes no sense to keep the engine revved up when not cutting. Same thing when using a chain saw.
That certainly makes sense, tophcfa, but I'm referring to the rev/cut every second that they seem to do, even when strimming a largish area of grass/weeds. I know nothing about small engines, but I assume that the wear and tear is considerably increased by this practice.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
My personal suggestion is that all lawns have to be mowed on one day - say, Tuesdays. That will give us peace and quiet the other 6 days a week.
It certainly is a constant row of mowers, strimmers and blowers. Bikes and carts used to be noisier when they were two-stroke, so maybe we can hope for garden tools to go four-stroke some time soon :-)
Old 06-23-2022, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,028 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
It certainly is a constant row of mowers, strimmers and blowers. Bikes and carts used to be noisier when they were two-stroke, so maybe we can hope for garden tools to go four-stroke some time soon :-)
Commercial garden tools that are carried by the user, like string trimmers, leaf blowers, and chain saws, are very unlikely to go four stroke. The power to weight ratio of two stroke engines is far superior.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,244 Times in 4,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
But, it's so macho. Like riding around on a v8-powered chrome-plated air-conditioned riding mower to mow a postage stamp. (I may have exaggerated just a little)

And what do you suggest the landscape companies do with their employees the other 4-5 days a week?

-Tom Petty
Old 06-23-2022, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
And what do you suggest the landscape companies do with their employees the other 4-5 days a week?
They could pull weeds.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:35 AM
Thanked 1,108 Times in 243 Posts
Default Ban all gas powered lawn equipment!

Every gas powered trimmer (& chain saw) I owned always needed revved even between cuts or the engine died. I finally got fed up and went to battery powered trimmers and saws. The trimmer gas engines are junk and problematic at best, not to mention making one of the most annoying sounds ever (especially leaf blowers). California has banned gas mowers and leaf blowers effective 2024. It is time for TV to follow suit (much as I hate most things that CA legislates). Every day it seems one or two neighbors (at least) has their lawn service out there making such a racket that I have to keep the windows and doors shut to help block out the noise. Banning the gas lowered lawn equipment (yes, it would probably mean a price increase for services you cheapskate misers) would get rid of the seemingly constant noise & would be well worth it. As a side effect, it would be good to reduce all those gas generated pollutants.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Mow another neighborhood. I would say Dean’s mows at least half the homes in our neighborhood. They are literally here all day on Mondays. That’s one reason I switched to them. Because my former mower came on Tuesday.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 06-24-2022, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,244 Times in 4,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
They could pull weeds.
Sure, just quadruple (or quintuple) your workforce, so they can do a week's worth of mowing in one day, and just have all those people "pull weeds" the rest of the time...

Let me know how that business model works out you you...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
engine, strimmers, annoying, noise, makes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.