Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2022, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishon View Post
Strimmers. Really?
Sounds dopey.

Short for gas operated muffler removed string trimmers. ( SGMRST)
Old 06-27-2022, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Most of the landscapers has removed guts in muffler that why they are loud and obnoxious. This IMO noise pollution and shouldn’t be allowed. But I’m guy with only one good ear left so I might be just little bias….
Nobody removes the guts of the muffler. What we do is surf the internet looking for the loudest 2 stroke motors available, because we LOVE wearing earplugs in 100 degree heat, while we annoy our customer's neighbors.

Mowing homes in TV is as thankless as it gets. No matter how good you are, there will be SO many complaint calls, and always that once a day jerk that comes outside screaming at you, like his $10 a week is paying your son's college and adding big to your 401K.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Nobody removes the guts of the muffler. What we do is surf the internet looking for the loudest 2 stroke motors available, because we LOVE wearing earplugs in 100 degree heat, while we annoy our customer's neighbors.

Mowing homes in TV is as thankless as it gets. No matter how good you are, there will be SO many complaint calls, and always that once a day jerk that comes outside screaming at you, like his $10 a week is paying your son's college and adding big to your 401K.
I understand your frustration. In my case the payment was FAR north of $10/week.

Second, large companies have a lot of turn over and often hire people that are not qualified. I have half my grass killed by one because the riding mower was too low and scalped the grass down to the dirt.

Third, I had standing orders with each company that it was MANDATORY that no one goes into my backyard without knocking first. I have a Giant Breed that is not socialized dog, who could be frightened and or get loose. Either could lead to bad things. SO, we have a large sign on the gate (CYV) and lock it most of the time. Every company we hired latest until they changed crews and our dogs were let out - sometimes that didn't even bother to close the gate. The instructions were NOT ambiguous, if we don't come to the door and tell the to go in, they don't do the back yard. Every company eventually failed. Putting us at liability for what ever the result was.

So, you answer while true in some cases, as always there is more than one side to the stories. I DID run out into the street the last time and screamed at the team leader. He thought it was funny my dog got out, and them yelled at me that I didn't answer the door. I told him he was fired, and to get out of my property. The local office send someone out, and they apologized.

That crust the company a Termite contract, lawn care, pest control. A LOT more than $10/mth.

I am sorry you get paid so little. But even $10 to mow the postage stage lawn we have taking maybe 5 minutes max is no reason to give poor customer service.

And we finally after several attempts found a person who is self employed, does good work himself and sometimes brings his son to help. The price is more than $10/week, and we ALWAYS add a tip as a way to say, "Thank you". SO, it does not have to be a thankless job, but I can assure you after being self employed my entire life I do NOT says thanks for **** poor customer service that most (Many? all?) of the large companies give.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,660 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Every gas powered trimmer (& chain saw) I owned always needed revved even between cuts or the engine died. I finally got fed up and went to battery powered trimmers and saws. The trimmer gas engines are junk and problematic at best, not to mention making one of the most annoying sounds ever (especially leaf blowers). California has banned gas mowers and leaf blowers effective 2024. It is time for TV to follow suit (much as I hate most things that CA legislates). Every day it seems one or two neighbors (at least) has their lawn service out there making such a racket that I have to keep the windows and doors shut to help block out the noise. Banning the gas lowered lawn equipment (yes, it would probably mean a price increase for services you cheapskate misers) would get rid of the seemingly constant noise & would be well worth it. As a side effect, it would be good to reduce all those gas generated pollutants.
After our lawn guy died last year I decided to save a buck or two over the long haul and take care of all my yard work (lawn mowing, hedge and bush trimming, edging, weedwhacking). With gasoline storage a problem I went (corded) electric on everything and couldn't be happier. Good exercise and after about a year, considering what I had been paying our lawn guy, I made back my investment on the stuff and everything from here on out is gravy.

My equipment is quieter than gasoline but not by much. It IS cleaner.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post

Wrong.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
I understand your frustration. In my case the payment was FAR north of $10/week.

Second, large companies have a lot of turn over and often hire people that are not qualified. I have half my grass killed by one because the riding mower was too low and scalped the grass down to the dirt.

Third, I had standing orders with each company that it was MANDATORY that no one goes into my backyard without knocking first. I have a Giant Breed that is not socialized dog, who could be frightened and or get loose. Either could lead to bad things. SO, we have a large sign on the gate (CYV) and lock it most of the time. Every company we hired latest until they changed crews and our dogs were let out - sometimes that didn't even bother to close the gate. The instructions were NOT ambiguous, if we don't come to the door and tell the to go in, they don't do the back yard. Every company eventually failed. Putting us at liability for what ever the result was.

So, you answer while true in some cases, as always there is more than one side to the stories. I DID run out into the street the last time and screamed at the team leader. He thought it was funny my dog got out, and them yelled at me that I didn't answer the door. I told him he was fired, and to get out of my property. The local office send someone out, and they apologized.

That crust the company a Termite contract, lawn care, pest control. A LOT more than $10/mth.

I am sorry you get paid so little. But even $10 to mow the postage stage lawn we have taking maybe 5 minutes max is no reason to give poor customer service.

And we finally after several attempts found a person who is self employed, does good work himself and sometimes brings his son to help. The price is more than $10/week, and we ALWAYS add a tip as a way to say, "Thank you". SO, it does not have to be a thankless job, but I can assure you after being self employed my entire life I do NOT says thanks for **** poor customer service that most (Many? all?) of the large companies give.
LOL , no WAY am I mowing any lawn but mine. But I am out there every day and see how those underqualified underpaid workers are treated by the crew leaders, and the customers. A lot is left to be desired on both sides of the fence. Though, overall, I think most customers are awesome, the mean 5% and the economy keeps my mower at my house.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Most of the landscapers has removed guts in muffler that why they are loud and obnoxious. This IMO noise pollution and shouldn’t be allowed. But I’m guy with only one good ear left so I might be just little bias….
Harley riders and antique cars owners do it all the time.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Every gas powered trimmer (& chain saw) California has banned gas mowers and leaf blowers effective 2024. It is time for TV to follow suit[I].
Talk about a curse!!! Please don’t make TV anything like California. In Ca they are going to tax people using their own well water.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,176 Times in 757 Posts

I don't know about the commercial trimmers, but my electric trimmer needs to be revved to advance the trimming line....( see Toro user manual)
Closed Thread

Tags
engine, strimmers, annoying, noise, makes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.