Sylvester Palm

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2015, 07:43 AM
Sage

Wow a bit testy in the morning chill out!!!!

I read your other posts I see where you're coming from.

your reply still is void of the experts names & credentials.

Therefore, IMO lacks credibility, I'll stick with Jim Davis and the FSU extensions advice.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:54 AM
Sage

[quote=Happydaz;1008249]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
[B]Nowhere in my post did I say that magnesium is the only thing you should use on palms.
It most certainly is a good thing to use in the fertilization process for palms as a supplement.
I also clearly stated to "follow the directions."

When you "follow the directions" for using Epsom salts on palm trees just what exactly are the directions listed on the Epsom salts bag. Do you put so many ounces or pounds per inch diameter of the trunk or does it state to spread X number of pounds per 100 Square feet of canopy? What other fertilizers does it mention to add to the Epsom salts and in what ratios?
I don't think epson salt has palm tree instructions???

Quote:
I get confused because 8-2-12-4 already has enough magnesium for the Palm trees so why add extra? Do you dissolve it first and pour it around the trunk or do you spread it around the canopy and let the rain wash it in? I, personally, would not add a supplement to any complete fertilizer.
It does, you sprinkle the granules under the canopy, not too close to the trunk, it is slow release, so drips or rain works it in.

One thing I notice is MANY palms are planted in beds that are smaller than the canopy, esp. when stone walls are built and the palms out grow or in some cases never built large enough the roots that are under the lawn are not getting the correct fertilizer, instead of the palm getting palm tree ratios it gets lawn ratios

wonder why your palms may not be doing well???
Old 02-11-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Wow a bit testy in the morning chill out!!!!

I read your other posts I see where you're coming from.

your reply still is void of the experts names & credentials.

Therefore, IMO lacks credibility, I'll stick with Jim Davis and the FSU extensions advice.
Your post lacks an explanation as to how my method contradicts the method you say Jim uses. I've grown 100s of thousands of palms in the last 30 years, it would take a large book to explain who, why and how I came to use this method to fertilize, and I am waiting till my golden years to become an author.
I thought Jim Davis is from UF, not FSU?
Sorry, my Florida cracker blood doesn't do well in this weather and I deal with a lot of people taking " what Jim Davis has said" out of context to a point of mis-information. Again..just posting to help, not to get in a ****in match
Old 02-11-2015, 08:51 AM

[quote=jimbo2012;1010437]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post

It does, you sprinkle the granules under the canopy, not too close to the trunk, it is slow release, so drips or rain works it in.

One thing I notice is MANY palms are planted in beds that are smaller than the canopy, esp. when stone walls are built and the palms out grow or in some cases never built large enough the roots that are under the lawn are not getting the correct fertilizer, instead of the palm getting palm tree ratios it gets lawn ratios

In the old days, you could buy micro nutrients alone. Adding this to the palms (already getting plenty of macros from lawn fertilizer) worked great for most home owners. I don't know of any retailer in the area to purchase micro nutrients anymore (sad face).
Old 02-11-2015, 08:58 AM

[quote=jimbo2012;1010437]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post

In the old days, you could buy micro nutrients alone. Adding this to the palms (already getting plenty of macros from lawn fertilizer) worked great for most home owners. I don't know of any retailer in the area to purchase micro nutrients anymore (sad face).
Most palms CAN use a lot more magnesium and manganese than provided in any palm fertilizer I know of on the market, that doesn't mean the trees NEED that much to be healthy, most home owners aren't looking for maximum growth anyway.
Most of the top palm farms have fertilizer made to their own specifications. You have to remember, all palms aren't the same, anymore than roses and azaleas are. Lady palms, queen palms, sylvesters and washingtonias all would have different fertilizers if you were zeroing in on an optimum mix of nutrients.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:46 AM
Gold member

Great info
Old 02-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Your post lacks an explanation as to how my method contradicts the method you say Jim uses. I've grown 100s of thousands of palms in the last 30 years, it would take a large book to explain who, why and how I came to use this method to fertilize, and I am waiting till my golden years to become an author.
I thought Jim Davis is from UF, not FSU?
Sorry, my Florida cracker blood doesn't do well in this weather and I deal with a lot of people taking " what Jim Davis has said" out of context to a point of mis-information. Again..just posting to help, not to get in a ****in match
I was just wondering where you got your information , now I understand it's from owning a Palm tree farm.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.