Termite Insurance

Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2016, 07:31 PM
Default Termite Insurance

When we moved here 5 years ago we set up a Termite plan that cost $475 to set up and then $95 to treat each year. Now we are starting year 6 and they want another $475 for a ten year plan that still includes $95 a year for treatments. We have a Cyprus that is approximately 1900 Sq feet. I am wondering if there is a cheaper option or if this is needed at all?
Old 10-04-2016, 07:41 PM
Platinum member

Was it a termite bond with a pest control company? They really can't treat without a sign of termites. What is the limits on repair?
Old 10-04-2016, 07:58 PM

It does not give a limit to coverage. It just says that the company will be responsible for any repair and retreatment at no expense to the owner. this includes structural damage.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Platinum member
Default Reasonable if.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxman View Post
It does not give a limit to coverage. It just says that the company will be responsible for any repair and retreatment at no expense to the owner. this includes structural damage.
If that is wwith a licensed pest control company the price sounds very good. They will be tied in to you at that price. You might call and have another company come ot and give you a price to compare.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:15 AM
Kup Kake

Quote:
When we moved here 5 years ago we set up a Termite plan that cost $475 to set up and then $95 to treat each year. Now we are starting year 6 and they want another $475 for a ten year plan that still includes $95 a year for treatments. We have a Cyprus that is approximately 1900 Sq feet. I am wondering if there is a cheaper option or if this is needed at all?
Okay -- let's see. So far you've paid $855 total, assuming the first year's $95, was covered in your initial contract of $475.

Now they want another $475 plus $950 for ten years more.

That's a lot of cash for a house that's only 5 years old at this point. I guess no one ever told you that mainly older houses get termites, and probably not even 1% during the first ten years anyway, and usually much older than that.

They sold you a bill of goods as they do most homeowners here in TV. Pest control runs rampant here, most of which is not necessary.

Personally, I would not renew that contract. For peace of mind, if you need it, I would have a periodic termite inspection -- an inspection only -- no chemicals. I would not deal with the company you currently use -- the one who wants you to sign up again.

A previous house of mine in south Florida was built in 1987. That house nor any of the surrounding neighbors (built by the same builder) have ever had a termite problem.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:47 AM

Quote:
What you purchased is a termite bond. My theory is a termite bond is a very good investment. It doesn't matter if your house is concrete block or wood. Concrete houses Southwood furring strips and rafters. If you get termites it's gonna be a whole lot more expensive than $1000 to repair. Home insurances do not pay for termite damage. The person that said older houses are the ones to get termites is incorrect! Annie house regardless of age can get Termites. Florida used to limit the bond to five years. Now they are allowing 10 years before you have to retreat for termites. So if the company will retreat and warrant for 10 years at $95 a year I think that's a very good deal!
Old 10-05-2016, 10:48 AM
Platinum member

The previous poster was very correct about new and older houses having termite problems. The newer homes for the most part they are only using a blue or green boric acid product and are reguired to only spray about 3 feet up the wood studs and furring strips. They don't have to do a subsurface treatment anymore. Don't let them oversell you on the amount your bond covers. If your home is worth 400k you don't need a million dollar bond.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerNut View Post
What you purchased is a termite bond. It doesn't matter if your house is concrete block or wood. Any house regardless of age can get Termites.
For a small price, you get insurance against termite infestation and damage.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:19 AM
Kup Kake

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerNut View Post
What you purchased is a termite bond. My theory is a termite bond is a very good investment. It doesn't matter if your house is concrete block or wood. Concrete houses Southwood furring strips and rafters. If you get termites it's gonna be a whole lot more expensive than $1000 to repair. Home insurances do not pay for termite damage. The person that said older houses are the ones to get termites is incorrect! Annie house regardless of age can get Termites. Florida used to limit the bond to five years. Now they are allowing 10 years before you have to retreat for termites. So if the company will retreat and warrant for 10 years at $95 a year I think that's a very good deal!
What is an "Annie house?"

Yes, regardless of whether a house is block or wood built, at some point in time in Florida, you will have termites.

I am not incorrect in saying that is it mostly older houses that get termites.
You read wrong and are quoting me incorrectly!
You also failed to mention that the pest control company wants another $475 in addition to $95 a year.
Not exactly chump change when added to what this person has already paid.

As I previously said, a periodic termite inspection will keep you informed if there is a problem,
and the treatment, if needed, would not cost an arm and a leg.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:29 AM
Default What happens if?

The company goes out of business. How good is the warranty then?
Closed Thread

Tags
year, $475, termite, plan, $95

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.