Are there any reliable yard care companies that serve The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2015, 07:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts
Exclamation Are there any reliable yard care companies that serve The Villages

I've been here just over a year and am now looking for my 3rd service to take care of my yard.
The current and previous guy promised total care but my yard looks like crap! Their idea of total care has been to edge and cut the grass once a week, or less, and get out as fast as possible.
The flower/shrub beds are overgrown with weeds, the bushes have never been trimmed and are now oddly shaped, weeds and sand have filled in around the sprinkler doughnuts. This from contractors who have promised "full service" and t0 cover "everything" at significant extra cost.

If anyone is using a reliable service that truly understand the concept of "full service" or you are a contractor that can provide it please contact me.

Here is what I have and need:
I am in a courtyard villa, a corner unit on a 10,000+/- sqft lot (as big as most Designer homes) with only an additional palm tree added above what the builder put in, nothing fancy or special.
I'm still working full time so I don't want to spend my free time doing yard work, I'd rather go golfing when I have the time.
If the grass needs to be cut, cut it, if not, don't. Push mower or riding mower, I don't care as long as the yard looks good when done, and don't leave behind the long lines of clippings.
If there is weeds, pull them - EVERY WEEK WHEN THEY APPEAR. No need to ask.
If the bushes need timing, trim them. No need to ask.
If it looks like part of the yard isn't getting enough water, check the sprinklers and adjust them if necessary. If they need repair call me, tell me the problem, and how much to fix it, I'll approve it, fix it and send me the bill.
If the mulch needs to be renewed and/or Lowes/Home Depot is having a sale, call me, let me know the price and when you can do the work, I'll approve it, do the work and send me a bill.
If the yard needs fertilizer, lime, weed killer, whatever, let me know and I'll approve it.
If something needs to be done to the yard or plants, let me know.
I'm not looking for a yard that looks like a putting green, I just wan't it maintained well.

Bottom line is I want the yard and plants to look nice, but I really hate yard work and would rather spend my spare time elsewhere. I understand that the extra level of service costs a little more and that extra work is extra cost. I'm not looking to get soaked and I'm not stupid, I know what labor and materials cost, and I know businesses are in business to make money, a reasonable markup is acceptable.

Are my expectations are not unrealistic? Nope, what I've described is the level of service I received from Lawn Care Pro in Haines City FL for the last 7 years, a small 3 man shop that took great pride in their work. I got very spoiled and had an incredible looking yard year round.

If you know someone who can provide top notch service or you think you are that company, send me a private message.

Thanks,
Don
Old 06-20-2015, 07:20 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

You want a full service contractor that does every ok, then go with Deans. If you want contractors that do everything great then you're going to have to break it up between certain contractors that specialize. The villages is so competitive that you can't offer full service and keep quality. We've been around for 7 years and the only company that is an "all in one" company that I've heard does an ok job is Deans. A lot of people learn down the road that if you can manage it then it's better to separate things between two or more contractors, at the very least have one that does your lawn/shrub treatments and pest control, then one that does your mowing, shrub trimming, and weeding. We've always stayed away from the treatment side of it because unless you're a huge company then it's hard to maintain the quality. The way we maintain quality with the current service we offer is that we separate the work between different crews (ie one crew mows, one crew shrub trims, one guy weeds) and keep the same crews doing the same properties. This is the only way you can maintain quality on a larger scale.

Give Deans a call if you're looking for all in one, give me a call if you're ready to break up services.

Good luck,
Tate
Old 06-19-2015, 07:40 AM

My experience so far has been to cut, edge and blow it off. If you want extra you have to ask for it. They hurry in and out. It seems like some of my neighbors have someone other than their regular folks come in a couple of times a year and take care of all the bigger, other things. If I can find out who that is, I will let you know.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Your dog is adorable. I spent many hours on the back of a Goldwing. That being said, if I were a yard company and you sent me a wish list Like yours (Attitude not the list), I would run for my life.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Joyce,
I'm not sure who's attitude you're referring to in my post, theirs or mine. All I'm really looking for is quality service and for someone to deliver on what they promise/agree to.

I'm not looking for anything for free, in fact I'm open to the upsell if something needs to be done that's not included in the normal service. The lawn care company at my previous home in Haines City for 7 years running made his normal fee plus 50 to 100% extra year after year taking care of my yard and going the extra mile.

No I wasn't suckered in with BS extra work, it was all legitimate extras, things like putting down fresh mulch every year when he knew it was going on sale, replacing sod after a St Augustine blight hit our neighborhood, trimming/cleaning out oak trees, having higher sprinkler heads installed as the St Augustine thickened over the years, planting annuals in the spring when someone had a really good sale, the list goes on and on. The bottom line was that he cared about his work and reputation, when I sold the house the new owner requested Lawn Care Pro's contact information so they would continue to take care of the yard, it was gladly provided.

On a further note, the lawn crew just left a little while ago, a record stay today, 20 minutes, some of the weeds were pulled but it still looks like crap. I called the owner last Friday and was told it would be taken care of, it took a week to get crappy service that could have been handled better with 5 minutes extra every week. Very disappointing.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Goldwing, I felt a great sense of frustation, which I understand. I was trying to say that you can't presume the new lawn person walks on water like the one in your previous life or horrible like your current Service. Be fair. Be honest. But try to work with the new person.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
I've been here just over a year and am now looking for my 3rd service to take care of my yard.
The current and previous guy promised total care but my yard looks like crap! Their idea of total care has been to edge and cut the grass once a week, or less, and get out as fast as possible.
The flower/shrub beds are overgrown with weeds, the bushes have never been trimmed and are now oddly shaped, weeds and sand have filled in around the sprinkler doughnuts. This from contractors who have promised "full service" and t0 cover "everything" at significant extra cost.

If anyone is using a reliable service that truly understand the concept of "full service" or you are a contractor that can provide it please contact me.

I am in a courtyard villa, a corner unit on a 10,000+/- sqft lot (as big as most Designer homes) with only an additional palm tree added above what the builder put in, nothing fancy or special.
I'm still working full time so I don't want to spend my free time doing yard work, I'd rather go golfing when I have the time.
If the grass needs to be cut, cut it, if not, don't. Push mower or riding mower, I don't care as long as the yard looks good when done, and don't leave behind the long lines of clippings.
If it looks like part of the yard isn't getting enough water, check the sprinklers and adjust them if necessary. If they need repair call me, tell me the problem, and how much to fix it, I'll approve it, fix it and send me the bill.
If the mulch needs to be renewed and/or Lowes/Home Depot is having a sale, call me, let me know the price and when you can do the work, I'll approve it, do the work and send me a bill.
If the yard needs fertilizer, lime, weed killer, whatever, let me know and I'll approve it.
I'm not looking for a yard that looks like a putting green, I just wan't it maintained well.

Bottom line is I want the yard and plants to look nice, but I really hate yard work and would rather spend my spare time elsewhere. I understand that the extra level of service costs a little more and that extra work is extra cost. I'm not looking to get soaked and I'm not stupid, I know what labor and materials cost, and I know businesses are in business to make money, a reasonable markup is acceptable.

Are my expectations are not unrealistic? Nope, what I've described is the level of service I received from Lawn Care Pro in Haines City FL for the last 7 years, a small 3 man shop that took great pride in their work. I got very spoiled and had an incredible looking yard year round.

If you know someone who can provide top notch service or you think you are that company, send me a private message.

Thanks,
Don
You must be a capitalist pig to expect this level of quality and integrity. You are asking for a level in yard care that I have never seen in TV. I too experienced this level of responsibility in my previous home (maryland)
I believe a contractor this reliable would be inundated with work at almost any price.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:21 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Yep its a seller's market here. I have a guy that does cut edge blow grass and i am grateful that he does what he does well and he shows up on time

Anything else is ala carte. I found one guy who would strip a queen properly but he did it once and refused after that
Old 06-19-2015, 11:21 AM
Veteran member

If you find someone who will do this, please PM me with the name and number. I just found out my "full service" company no longer includes chemicals. News to me. I wonder what else they discontinued? For years they have done yard pests, trimming, tree pruning, fertilization, weed control and irrigation in addition to the conventional "mow and blow". I still had to contact them with problems, but they were my dream company. They reduced their fees and are changing the concept. I am hoping I can offer to pay more and get them to do what they used to do. I don't know a thing about what needs to be done and I have two brown thumbs. I feel lost.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice Maintenance View Post
You want a full service contractor that does every ok, then go with Deans. If you want contractors that do everything great then you're going to have to break it up between certain contractors that specialize. The villages is so competitive that you can't offer full service and keep quality. We've been around for 7 years and the only company that is an "all in one" company that I've heard does an ok job is Deans. A lot of people learn down the road that if you can manage it then it's better to separate things between two or more contractors, at the very least have one that does your lawn/shrub treatments and pest control, then one that does your mowing, shrub trimming, and weeding. We've always stayed away from the treatment side of it because unless you're a huge company then it's hard to maintain the quality. The way we maintain quality with the current service we offer is that we separate the work between different crews (ie one crew mows, one crew shrub trims, one guy weeds) and keep the same crews doing the same properties. This is the only way you can maintain quality on a larger scale.

Give Deans a call if you're looking for all in one, give me a call if you're ready to break up services.

Good luck,
Tate

I am extremely impressed with your honesty. Your number will be the first we call when we are ready. Be well.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:34 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I totally agree that the best way to go is two companies -- one for lawn care and yard work, another for pest control. Personally, I want my lawn guy to do the fertilizing. Many of the full service lawn companies really don't keep up on pesticides. Several don't have the license required to do pest control. The pest control companies hire guys to do the lawn work but don't really try to train them in how to trim or weed. So, my recommendation is always to go with companies that specialize and not try to have one do it all, regardless of convenience.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-25-2015, 02:35 PM

I used Tate to trim my bushes and will definitely use him again!!
Rich P
Old 06-25-2015, 04:11 PM

Try JM landscaping they look after our villa when we are not here (around 8 months of the year). Recommended by our neighbors. We have had them now for about a year and find them very reliable.

Speak to Juan on 352 536 7395
Old 06-26-2015, 11:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post

Thanks,
Don
Your post sounds like I could have written it verbatim. I have a well known company take care of my lawn and pay them a lot of money every month and my lawn looks like crap. I'm tired of having to call them to take care of something. I have a magnolia tree in my front lawn and the leaves have fallen off all over the lawn and nobody can be bothered to pick them up. If you find someone as you explain, PLEASE let me know. I am a single woman and have NO desire to do yard work, but would like my lawn to look better than it does.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We have deans, pest, mow, irrigation, weed, bushes. All in one. have used them since 2011. If we are not happy or our homewatch is not happy they are there same day and call while they are fixing the problem. One bill and done

Tags
yard, service, work, care, time, extra, full, cost, weeds, cut, send, approve, understand, level, bill, plants, call, long, mower, provide, fix, spend, grass, bushes, reliable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.