Is there a forum for landscaping and gardening?

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts
Default Is there a forum for landscaping and gardening?

I see a thread now and then , but seems there'd be enough interest for landscaping and gardening to have a dedicated forum... .or is there??? could just be me.

(By the way, the builder's landscaping is horrible if you didn't already know that.
A lot of the plants are not well suited to where they're placed,
I think it's more convenience and a fast/cheap/pretty look rather than longer term appeal)

Anyway, so now I'm on a landscaping mission and I like getting my hands dirty.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Is there a forum for landscaping and gardening?

I'm not aware of a forum specifically on landscaping and gardening, but I know that when we are in TV, my wife attends meetings of more than one garden club (one in particular she finds useful on Wednesday mornings). Check in the Rec News for more info. I've heard the same comment about the builder's landscaping over and over....
Old 07-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Gold member

As a gunnabe (or is it a willabe?) and a complete novice to Central Florida gardening and landscaping I would also like to see a gardening landscaping forum.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When I asked a similar question a few months ago, someone was kind enough to point me to a couple of books on Florida flowers and trees. I wonder if they will do so again for you. I like to garden too, but am a little afraid of fire ants.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:16 AM
Sage

graciegirl, I've already got a good book on landscaping and another one or two in mind on my amazon.com list (one by Marlys Bell in particular on Central Florida Landscaping) however I enjoy reading and am open to suggestions.

Sidney, and I'll check the rec news calendar, good idea.

NJblue, well I'm learning a lot here, and as noted, the builder's stuff isn't really appropriate.
maybe we'll just start our own darned forum LOLOL
Old 07-19-2008, 02:14 PM

I would find a forum on landscaping and plant care really helpful. We just had our total yard landscaped with several palms and numerous plants. I would like to learn how to trim and take care of them.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We don't have any palms. Did you choose queen palms or emporor palms. (I just realized both are royal names. lol) Our friends who live there in Poinciana and loves to garden says to have someone plant them for you, because if you leave air pockets around the roots it isn't good for them. :dontknow:
Old 07-19-2008, 04:02 PM

We have Queen palms and a couple of smaller type palms. It's my understanding that Emperor palms will not do well in central Florida...not sure of that though.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Sage

This is a pretty good online link:

http://www.centralfloridagarden.com/lists.htm

I've a patio villa and want a smaller palm.. European Fan Palm is what I think I'll go with, have heard good things about 'em
Old 07-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Platinum member

JohnN:

Your reference looks very good. It includes a site that I was going to post which is helpful in sorting out which plants will or will not work here: www.floridata.com

The broader question here relates to finding someone to do the major job, even if you are willing to do the maintenance thereof. There are a gazillion landscapers who'll happily fill up your yard, but I've yet to find one with any sort of "regular maintenance" plan.

SWR
Old 07-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Sage

SWR - well you're right!!!!
That's why I'm wanting to do some planning and get landscaping that is low maintenance and simple but tropical, and learn how to maintain it (or at least know what's needed) myself. yes, floridata.com is a great site!!
Old 07-19-2008, 05:12 PM

The book that I found extremely helpful and had suggested on an earlier post is:
The Villages Florida
You can purchase it at Barnes & Noble right here in TV.
The other resource which is free to all of us is the Florida cooperative extension office, located right in the building on Morse and 466, where the sheriff's office is. You can arrange for a consultation with one of their representatives. Other websites with good info are:
http://floridayards.org/
http://www.ufl.edu/
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/

Old 07-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Sage

thanks travel, I have one of McGurbbin's books and it's ok but written more for south Florida, I may take a look at that one,

and I didn't know about the extension office info, that's really great.. thank you
Old 07-19-2008, 11:28 PM

JohnN nighbor, Let me know if you find any good deals, as you know, I to have a villa and would like to to something other then what they left us with.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Gold member

Hi Travel - the book that Travel mentions I thought was very good - especially coming from the north to the south. To me it is summer all year round in Florida and I find I have a harder time distinguishing the seasons. In NY I do not have this problem.

The book that Travel uses and shared with me states what needs to be done month by month and has excellent summaries about different plants, trees, etc. in a format that is easy to scan and read.

The landscaper we have is excellent. I discuss what I would like to do, she offers her opinion and the reasoning behind it. In the end, I follow her suggestions. We do go back and forth, she listens, I listen, and fortunately we come to a mutual agreement based on her extensive knowledge.

We created a landscape plan I liked, that is, until I received the latest freebies from the plant companies.

Her prices for plants seem to be less expensive or the same price as plants I have seen elsewhere, there is no contract for monthly maintenance work, and if you choose she does have various plans for maintenance of your area.

I have gone to the different garden club meetings, she was a speaker at one, I found her to be quite knowledgeable and continue to feel that way. She had knowledge that some of the other people I have heard speak did not have.

I have requested that she be a presenter this November at the garden club that meets in Hacienda.

The sites Travel mentions are excellent, at least, for me.

HB
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.