Tomatoes with Flavor

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2015, 05:00 PM
Platinum member
Default My slicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
San Marzano tomatoes are very good.
America's Test Kitchen did a blind taste test and Hunt's won out of the 4 that they tested.
Many times I have read in cookbooks that unless you can buy the very best fresh, which is difficult to do in Florida you will have better results with canned.
For a salad or sandwich I like the roma-but I scrape out the pulp and cut into strips.
I just used my mandolin slicer on romas today for a sandwich. Left them as they sliced without preseeding them. Nice and thin.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Gold member

I've not tried tomatoes here but I expect the lack of taste that many have complained about is due to both the climate and the soil.

Someone mentioned JERSEY TOMATOES. WELL- my LONG ISLAND tomatoes were ACCORDING TO ME, mush better than the best jersey tomatoes.

BACK TO THE VILLAGES-and tomatoes. Much of the taste of tomatoes is ACID. The soil here is ALKALINE PH 7.5 and up to 8. To make is worse we are loaded with LIMESTONE-the proof is in the sinkholes. PUT SOME OF OUR SOIL IN A GLASS AND ADD VINEGAR-IT WILL FIZZ JUST LIKE THE OLD BAKING SODA TOYS.

So if you want GOOD TOMATOES, you need to grow them in large pots, you need to either buy soil or add a lot of organic matter to the soil we have-peat is far more acidic them manure. You need to get a PH of about 6.5-that is a large change from 8 and even in a pot it will take you at least a year to have it stabilize in a pot. In your garden beds you will be fignting a loosing battle to try to get 6.5.

I am growing blueberries in pots and holding 4.5 PH.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
I've not tried tomatoes here but I expect the lack of taste that many have complained about is due to both the climate and the soil.

Someone mentioned JERSEY TOMATOES. WELL- my LONG ISLAND tomatoes were ACCORDING TO ME, mush better than the best jersey tomatoes.

BACK TO THE VILLAGES-and tomatoes. Much of the taste of tomatoes is ACID. The soil here is ALKALINE PH 7.5 and up to 8. To make is worse we are loaded with LIMESTONE-the proof is in the sinkholes. PUT SOME OF OUR SOIL IN A GLASS AND ADD VINEGAR-IT WILL FIZZ JUST LIKE THE OLD BAKING SODA TOYS.

So if you want GOOD TOMATOES, you need to grow them in large pots, you need to either buy soil or add a lot of organic matter to the soil we have-peat is far more acidic them manure. You need to get a PH of about 6.5-that is a large change from 8 and even in a pot it will take you at least a year to have it stabilize in a pot. In your garden beds you will be fignting a loosing battle to try to get 6.5.

You aren't going to make a whole lot of friends bashing other states and their produce. Guns have been drawn...
Old 09-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post

My Michigan tomatoes were much better than New Jersey or Long Island.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
My Michigan tomatoes were much better than New Jersey or Long Island.
Our Cascade dirt did not produce very good MI tomatoes. But our PA tomatoes were good!

Tags
tomatoes, flavor, tomato, planting, hear, recommendations, supermarket, season, approaches, ohio, york, jersey, expecting, vine-ripened, varieties, grown, successfully, villages, searched, forums, hoping, find, lots, taste, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.