Top Dressing for yard

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2018, 03:04 PM
Default Top Dressing for yard

Does anyone know where I can get top dressing for my lawn. I was give a company called 855-Cow-Poop by Deans but have called and left messages on 3 consecutive days without a returned call. Any other suggestions? Need to fill in low spots in my yard and see if I can get the grass looking better. Village of Dunedin.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:19 PM

Adam Neusbaum
352-342-1384
great service and fair pricing
Old 05-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Adam Neusbaum
352-342-1384
I agree we have used him since 2010. He does get busy, but will return calls soon as he is back in office

Last edited by asianthree; 05-20-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
Does anyone know where I can get top dressing for my lawn. I was give a company called 855-Cow-Poop by Deans but have called and left messages on 3 consecutive days without a returned call. Any other suggestions? Need to fill in low spots in my yard and see if I can get the grass looking better. Village of Dunedin.
I would not do business with any company that didn't return my calls after three days, particularly since you left three separate messages.

When you get around to doing it, don't fill in or top dress with sand, like so many people do. It does nothing to enhance the soil and does not add any nutrients. I've never understood why residents do this other than the fact that it's cheap.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:16 PM

I have only used sand in areas with poor drainage or where rain water begins to pool with pretty decent results.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:01 PM

Sand will fill low areas cheap but if you want black dirt just go to Lowes and get 2 cubic foot bags of garden soil to use for fill. Sparrs also has Zoysia grass seed, top dress and rake in.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:36 PM
Default Re: Zoyzia seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Farmer View Post
Sand will fill low areas cheap but if you want black dirt just go to Lowes and get 2 cubic foot bags of garden soil to use for fill. Sparrs also has Zoysia grass seed, top dress and rake in.
The zoysia planted in the villages is EMPIRE ZOYzIA and it is planted as either plugs, sprigs or sod as it does not produce viable seed. The zoyzia seed that you can buy is not the same as empire zoysia.

Re: top dressing to fill low spots. You can do it about 1/4 of an inch every week or three. More than that and you will or may, kill your grass in that spot. If the grass in a spot is good but too low, you can cut the sod with a straight shovel put soil underneath stir the better soil into the sandy clay you are likely to discover undeer your grass and put the sod back into place. It will quickly re root now, june, july is the best time to do this.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:48 PM
Veteran member

Use Comand to top dress your lawn. Go to Ask the Master Gardeners at the government annex on the corner of Morse and 466 on Mondays between 9 am and 3 pm. There are Master Gardeners there at those times and they can tell you where to get Comand and how to put it down.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:24 AM
Default What is comand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
Use Comand to top dress your lawn. Go to Ask the Master Gardeners at the government annex on the corner of Morse and 466 on Mondays between 9 am and 3 pm. There are Master Gardeners there at those times and they can tell you where to get Comand and how to put it down.
As I read your post, I assume it is not a company but a product. Other than for advertising, there are almost no products for use on a lawn that can't be purchased under several brand names.

Top dressing a lawn makes little sense. We have sandy clay. Your grass is or should be rooted down about 8 inches. To change the soils significantly you would need to add about two inches of organic matter and get it into the top 8 inches. Fuzzy math-about 50 lbs of manure per 100 sq ft.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
As I read your post, I assume it is not a company but a product. Other than for advertising, there are almost no products for use on a lawn that can't be purchased under several brand names.

Top dressing a lawn makes little sense. We have sandy clay. Your grass is or should be rooted down about 8 inches. To change the soils significantly you would need to add about two inches of organic matter and get it into the top 8 inches. Fuzzy math-about 50 lbs of manure per 100 sq ft.
The company is Life Soils. Comand is a combination of compost and sand and was formulated for our soil in cooperation with Univ of FLA. There have been a large number of lawns that were done as a test and they have responded very well and look beautiful. Comand was used in the flower beds on Buena Vista at the Odell Circle/Bailey Trail round-about. Those beds look excellent compared to beds that none was used.

The PH of manure is high and it cakes so that water runs off of it.
COMAND™ Turf Soil Jacksonville FL | Bulk or Bagged | Delivery
Old 06-01-2018, 10:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I agree we have used him since 2010. He does get busy, but will return calls soon as he is back in office
Adam Nussbaum uses Comand.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:30 AM
Default Re: Manure and ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
The company is Life Soils. Comand is a combination of compost and sand and was formulated for our soil in cooperation with Univ of FLA. There have been a large number of lawns that were done as a test and they have responded very well and look beautiful. Comand was used in the flower beds on Buena Vista at the Odell Circle/Bailey Trail round-about. Those beds look excellent compared to beds that none was used.

The PH of manure is high and it cakes so that water runs off of it.
COMAND™ Turf Soil Jacksonville FL | Bulk or Bagged | Delivery
I always try to check things I didn't know from a second source.

RE: manure raising the ph-making our already alkaline soil more alkaline.

The original study, the only one I could find. Other published information seems to go back to the same study-1998 Oklahoma Cooperative. INTERESTING. However, their study used poultry manure. When, I said manure I meant cow manure. Always learning something so thanks. I do know that Urea a common source of nitrogen in lawn fertilizer does raise the ph-more alkaline.
Thanks to you, I discovered that the poultry manure used in many of the organic fertilizers will turn the soil more alkaline.

Far as run off-I do not top dress, I drill holes and put it into the soil so not an issue.

I PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE A SOIL TEST DONE.
THANKS
Old 06-02-2018, 08:01 AM
Thumbs up Agreed !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Adam Neusbaum
352-342-1384
Good group of folks !!
Old 06-02-2018, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Best lawn dressing is 70-30.
A combination of 70% fine sand (Celica best) and 30% fine 3mm (3/16th") sieved loamy soil. It wants to be dry, or will not spread evenly.
Adds nutrient, and levels at same time. Good nitrogen high feed before putting down, and brush in dressing.
Works a treat.
A month after applying you will need lumberjacks in to cut it!
Old 06-02-2018, 08:31 AM

Charles Vincent cell 352-433-7926. Great job and even better prices. He will return your calls. Highly recommend
Closed Thread

Tags
top, called, dressing, yard, fill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.