Torpedo grass

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2017, 03:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
If the grass is healthy and grows thick, it will choke out torpedo grass. There is nothing that UF/IFAS recommends that will kill it.
No, it will not choke out torpedo grass. Nothing will choke it out.
Your three choices are to use an herbicide, hand pull it or replace your grass with artificial turf. That's it!

Be concerned regarding using RoundUp or any herbicide. The active ingredient in many is glycophoshate (Glyphosate) which is known or said to be a carcinogen. It depends which article you read and believe. There have been commercials by attorneys on television, so you should be aware of the possible dangers in using it.

Torpedo grass is the grass that keeps on giving!
You will burn calories when you do weeding, however, so there is a plus!
Old 08-29-2017, 04:15 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I am looking for a one handed horticulturalist . On the one hand you can
Old 08-29-2017, 06:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
If the grass is healthy and grows thick, it will choke out torpedo grass. There is nothing that UF/IFAS recommends that will kill it.
I agree. At least having a healthy lawn give the torpedo grass a run for it's money.

I think a lot of problems occur with lawns that are not properly watered and fed. Especially when the owners are away and cannot monitor rainfall and watering.

I love that every home here has in ground irrigation and that we have very affordable grass cutters that can be hired for around $40 a month. I love how well tended homes and lawns are here in The Villages.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-29-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree. At least having a healthy lawn give the torpedo grass a run for it's money.

I think a lot of problems occur with lawns that are not properly watered and fed. Especially when the owners are away and cannot monitor rainfall and watering.

I love that every home here has in ground irrigation and that we have very affordable grass cutters that can be hired for around $40 a month. I love how well tended homes and lawns are here in The Villages.
And most of those who have torpedo grass is brought to you by the $40 grass cutters' equipment from the lawns they did just before yours.

$40 for torpedo grass. Wow, cheap! Like I said -- the grass that keeps on giving.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:23 AM
Sage

When Allen's Sod replaced some zoysia for me I asked about the torpedo grass in other areas of my lawn. He said most comes with the zoysia sod from south of here. I asked what I could do about it and he told me to just mow it. It's green. And almost impossible to eradicate. He didn't think it is transferred by mowers.

That said, I use Zoysia green for my lawn care and they have done a good job keeping it localized to a section which tends to stay wetter. Apparently torpedo grass likes a wetter environment.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:27 PM

Just as an update, Quinkill application has killed 85% of the torpedo grass without harming our Zoysia. That is in 14 days. I plan to put a second treatment on this Saturday weather permitting to address the balance. I was skeptical at first but it does work.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:04 PM
Default Zoysia green

I was doing my own lawn care but found out that licensed companies can use stronger chemicals than we have access to. We use Zoysia Green. They have been able to knock out the torpedo grass on the side. They are working on 2 places in front. It can be controlled but you need a company that is willing to work with you. You can't do this since you are up north but I always want to be here when they do a treatment so I can point out concerns I have. Good luck, it is a stinker to get rid of.
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, grass, torpedo, care, company

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.