Torpedo grass

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2019, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,951 Times in 1,706 Posts

I looked up what this torpedo grass looks like. Honestly, I didn’t recognize any of the grasses in TV. When I walked through them to see the back of homes it really felt like I was walking on hay. The grass pricked me through my open sandals. It would seem like a weed grass would be easy to maintain. There must be a reason why people don’t like it.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I looked up what this torpedo grass looks like. Honestly, I didn’t recognize any of the grasses in TV. When I walked through them to see the back of homes it really felt like I was walking on hay. The grass pricked me through my open sandals. It would seem like a weed grass would be easy to maintain. There must be a reason why people don’t like it.
Bermuda grass is also a weed, in the north. But it looks a LOT different from rye and blue fescue. Looks different, feels different, it's a very significantly visible difference. In the south, rye and blue fescue can't grow the same way, can't survive well at all.

So I do get that what's a weed to me, is viable ground cover to Floridians. I totally get that. But that is WHY I'm confused about their disdain for torpedo grass.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:43 PM

Fertilize and mow it. it's green and easy to grow.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:26 AM

I too have had success with Quinkill, but as Dave mentioned you need to be diligent. Mine started from my neighbors lawn and it moved quickly. I now spray both mine and his to keep it in check.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:31 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I understand that, I'm saying why fight it? Why not embrace it, and encourage everyone to have torpedo grass? It's green, it can be mowed, it serves as ground cover, and it's apparently free, since it's brought in by the birds, other animals, mower blades from landscapers, and even the wind itself. What is it about torpedo grass that offends people who choose crab grass (bermuda grass) to cover their lawns? Especially since torpedo grass obviously needs little to no maintenance. We have weeds like that on lawns around here, and they mostly just fill out spots that have been damaged by ants or moles or burrowing rabbits or nut-hiding squirrels. They get mowed along with the rest of the lawn, and no one even notices there's any difference from one spot to the next.

Our neighbor has a ton of it.........it looks like a yard full of weeds. There are high spots and low spots. Not finding any other neighbors who are embracing the look.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

I had this torpedo grass. Also called rocket grass/nutsedge. I sprayed it every day for four days and it killed all the torpedo grass without killing mt zoysia grass grass.I didn't spray my entire lawn, just the torpedo grass. I bought it at Lowes and mixed up a small batch. It's a concentrate.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMAGE-24-oz...Killer/3156691
Closed Thread

Tags
grass, torpedo, solution, put, kill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.