ID:	77089  
Old 10-28-2018, 07:01 PM

Chinese flame tree or Chinese golden rain tree
Old 10-28-2018, 07:07 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnThumb View Post
Chinese flame tree or Chinese golden rain tree
Thank you. It is so pretty this time of year.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:33 PM
Gold member
Default Tree is an example of Yin & Yang

Found this on-line

“A relative of the more widely planted goldenrain tree (Koelruteria paniculata), Chinese flame tree (aka bougainvillea goldenrain tree -- say that 10 times fast) has a lot going for it. It grows fast; produces filtered shade you can grow grass under; tolerates drought, poor soil, and pollution; suffers no serious pests; and becomes a nice, rounded, medium-size tree, 20-40 feet tall. It's also one of the few trees that blooms in summer (mine's blooming now) and produces attractive, pink seed capsules that resemble the blooms of bougainvillea. So what's not to like?

Well, those seed capsules contain seeds. During fall and winter, the papery capsules blow everywhere, bringing the seeds in contact with soil. Every time this happens, every single seed germinates. Let all of them grow and in a couple of years, your entire yard literally becomes a forest of Chinese flame trees.

I find seedlings on every side of my house -- in the lawn, garden beds, and edges of the woods. None are anywhere near the original tree.

So why don't I just cut mine down and be done with it? Because it wouldn't make any difference. See, one of those seedlings sprouted on the corner of my next-door neighbor's house. It's now about 20 feet tall. She loves it. So even if I cut my tree down, there'd be as many seedlings as before.”
Old 10-28-2018, 07:44 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
Found this on-line

“A relative of the more widely planted goldenrain tree (Koelruteria paniculata), Chinese flame tree (aka bougainvillea goldenrain tree -- say that 10 times fast) has a lot going for it. It grows fast; produces filtered shade you can grow grass under; tolerates drought, poor soil, and pollution; suffers no serious pests; and becomes a nice, rounded, medium-size tree, 20-40 feet tall. It's also one of the few trees that blooms in summer (mine's blooming now) and produces attractive, pink seed capsules that resemble the blooms of bougainvillea. So what's not to like?

Well, those seed capsules contain seeds. During fall and winter, the papery capsules blow everywhere, bringing the seeds in contact with soil. Every time this happens, every single seed germinates. Let all of them grow and in a couple of years, your entire yard literally becomes a forest of Chinese flame trees.

I find seedlings on every side of my house -- in the lawn, garden beds, and edges of the woods. None are anywhere near the original tree.

So why don't I just cut mine down and be done with it? Because it wouldn't make any difference. See, one of those seedlings sprouted on the corner of my next-door neighbor's house. It's now about 20 feet tall. She loves it. So even if I cut my tree down, there'd be as many seedlings as before.”
Also good to know. Thanks
Old 10-29-2018, 06:57 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Wow, glad my neighbor doesn't have one. Sounds almost as bad as an oak tree.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:01 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Wow, glad my neighbor doesn't have one. Sounds almost as bad as an oak tree.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing. We used to have oaks up north and I always thought the only worse tree was the pine.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:22 PM
Default Perhaps a thing to remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Funny, I was thinking the same thing. We used to have oaks up north and I always thought the only worse tree was the pine.
Read BEFORE you plant anything.

At our previous home, Someone gave me a plant that that they told me was a rare endangered species. I can't recall the name of the plant that after it went nuts in my yard, I discovered it was a noxious weed. It did do well in the shade and in the shade it had huge green leaves. As I said I do not recall the name but this weed really went wild in my yard. My research showed the leaves are used as a cancer drug and the roots are used as a most powerful laxative. Or perhaps I have it upside down.
Closed Thread

Tags
tree

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.