Trim oak tree growing over the wall onto our property?

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2019, 12:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie66 View Post
I'm sorry, maybe I'm too much of a newbie, but what does "///" mean in your post?
Or it can be a way of “deleting” your post.

You can’t actually delete a post. So if you decide you want to get rid of what you said for any reason, you replace it with any three characters...the minimum allowed for a post.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:03 PM

Consider it your tree hanging over into your neighbors yard. What would you do?
Old 12-13-2019, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky1 View Post
Consider it your tree hanging over into your neighbors yard. What would you do?
I can tell you what my former neighbor did. The person who had bought the house originally had a queen palm installed on either side of the house. By the time he moved, the palms were high enough that we and the people on the other side of that house were constantly having to get up on ladders to trim those fronds away from scraping crystals off of our roof shingles. We contacted the neighbor, a snowbird, and she had someone come trim the trees, but they still remained a problem. One winter she had them both taken out, because they never should have been put in those spots to begin with--too close to our houses and hers as well.

IMO The Villages should acknowledge that this tree is in the wrong spot, and take it out. Even if they didn't actually plant it themselves, they shouldn't have put a wall, yard, and house too close to it.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
[/COLOR]

Naw. The Villages people are nice people. I am talking about the highly successful and well organized and extremely rich Morse family....who people enjoy hating because they are highly successful and rich...for the most part. And who knows WHEN the little acorn started the great oak.

RoseBUD.

I think you may be skirting the issue, GG. For one thing, the area (Bridgeport at Miona) is not old enough for that tree to have been an acorn and now be that big. It was either planted there or the wall was put too close to the tree.

For another thing, Billethekid has already contacted the property agency of the developer, and was told essentially it is his problem. I don't hate/bash the developer or begrudge the family their financial success, but I do think there are areas where they could do things for the residents that wouldn't break the bank. And I believe this is one of them.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
...I do think there are areas where they could do things for the residents that wouldn't break the bank. And I believe this is one of them.
It might sound harsh, but I don't think it's good practice for any business to do things for individual homeowners that are clearly that homeowner's responsibility. It could open up endless requests that would be hard to deny once that door is open, not to mention potential liability issues.

Sometimes things that sound good are simply not practical.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[QUOTE=CFrance;1701471]I think you may be skirting the issue, GG. For one thing, the area (Bridgeport at Miona) is not old enough for that tree to have been an acorn and now be that big. It was either planted there or the wall was put too close to the tree.

For another thing, Billethekid has already contacted the property agency of the developer, and was told essentially it is his problem. I don't hate/bash the developer or begrudge the family their financial success, but I do think there are areas where they could do things for the residents that wouldn't break the bank. And I believe this is one of them.[/QUOTE

You are right. I am annoyed about another issue entirely and I am tired of being annoyed by it. Once maybe but now the fourth time.

I will now change the subject because I am really not a fan of live oak trees except when they are far away from people's homes. Then they are beautiful, like all that area near the intersection of Buena Vista and Stillwater trail. It is absolutely beautiful to see the live oaks grow there.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
It might sound harsh, but I don't think it's good practice for any business to do things for individual homeowners that are clearly that homeowner's responsibility. It could open up endless requests that would be hard to deny once that door is open, not to mention potential liability issues.

Sometimes things that sound good are simply not practical.
When a business makes a mistake, good business practice suggests making things right for the consumer. Planting a tree where it is going to cause someone a problem is a mistake. Claiming it's the homeowner's responsibility is hiding behind an ordinance, or whatever it's called. It's not good business practice. Make right what you did wrong.

If I were Billethekid, I would take this higher up in the organization. There are extenuating circumstances.

That's it, I'm done! On to a poop thread.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
...Planting a tree where it is going to cause someone a problem is a mistake...
Therein lies the rub. Maybe the tree was planted in a bad location. But I’ve read nothing in this thread that makes that a certainty.

There are many...and I do mean MANY...trees in TV that could be argued to be in a poor location. But so many things come into play. How long has it been there. Has it been maintained properly during growth years. Many more.

I’m not totally disagreeing with what your saying...especially the part I quoted. I’m only somewhat disagreeing with the general idea that any developer is automatically deemed responsible for somehow fixing any tree that a homeowner believes to be a problem.

I had two palm trees that were growing into a mature oak on my lot. They had to go. But I’m sure they looked nice when they were young and the oak tree not as large. Call it poor landscaping foresight if you wish. But it’s done so commonly I would never try to convince any developer that something they planted ages ago was their responsibility to remove. Proper trimming during early growth years might have prevented the problem. I had the palms removed myself.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 12-13-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

I am reading that the tree was not planted propery - writen by people who have not seen the tree. C'mon now.

Take a drive round any town. Lots of big trees hanging over property lines. Not a problem at all unless someone sees it as an invasion of their airspace.
Closed Thread

Tags
wall, trim, tree, oak, large

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.