Unknown Bulb

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2017, 07:03 PM
Gold member
Default Unknown Bulb

This bulb produces a single stem, with many blooms emerging st the same time. This one has TWELVE flowers. Can anyone tell me what it is?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2846.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	68052  
Old 04-24-2017, 08:43 PM

Hi. It looks like a Spider Lily.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:18 PM
Platinum member

It's some type of lily! There are so many varieties! But don't think spider as they are "hairy"!
Old 04-24-2017, 10:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
This bulb produces a single stem, with many blooms emerging st the same time. This one has TWELVE flowers. Can anyone tell me what it is?
Hippeastrum - Google Search

or maybe an amaryllis? not sure of spelling
Old 04-26-2017, 12:20 PM
Platinum member

Lowes sells them.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
This is known as a rain lily. Sometimes they give up and bloom when there is no rain.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:42 AM
Gold member
Default Re: Rain lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
This is known as a rain lily. Sometimes they give up and bloom when there is no rain.
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

I do not claim to be an expert but, I am growing rain lilies.
I bought them as rain lilies and the match the information and pictures on the internet. They grow from a small bulb roughly 1/2 an inch high and in diameter. The leaves look much like grass, narrow strands, about 10 inches long. The flowers are either white or pink depending on the variety and strangely they appear at the ends of what I described as grass leaves.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:03 AM
Gold member
Default A lot of interesting replies

Quote:
There have been many guesses-perhaps, one is right.

Most of the flowers we grow are hybrids, so even if you find the proper name and buy more they may not match. The same would be true of growing it from seed. I think the poster who suggested seed said it would take several years to grow from a seed to a blooming plant. If, you divide a plant, it will be exactly the same and it will get to blooming stage much sooner.

You stated it is a bulb. Why don't you wait until Jan or Feb
dig it out and see how to divide it. It it is a bulb, you will likely see smaller, baby bulbs around the main bulb. If, you separate them from the main bulb, they will be an exact match to the plant you want more of.

From your picture, your plant does not look like it is very old-there are no offshoots so, if you dig it up, you will not get many plants or bulbs when, you divide it. If, it is dormant when you lift it, even if you chicken out there will be little damage.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:53 PM

I think it is a pink agapanthus -- most of them here are blue or purple
Old 05-07-2017, 07:19 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Judging from the photo I'd say pink agapanthus as well. They are in bloom now so it would make sense.

https://render.fineartamerica.com/im...zanne-gaff.jpg
Full Landscape and Hardscape
Old 05-23-2017, 08:48 AM
Gold member
Default Follow up re: Rain lilies

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

I do not claim to be an expert but, I am growing rain lilies.
I bought them as rain lilies and the match the information and pictures on the internet. They grow from a small bulb roughly 1/2 an inch high and in diameter. The leaves look much like grass, narrow strands, about 10 inches long. The flowers are either white or pink depending on the variety and strangely they appear at the ends of what I described as grass leaves.
I bought our rain lily bulbs in the fall two years ago. Since they are bulbs, most bulbs will rot in wet soil so I added perlite and manure to our clayey sand or sandy clay Took a year for them to get established. I purchased 15 bulbs.
Now 2 years later each bulb has split into 4 or 5 plants and they are blooming their heads off. As stated the flowers are at the end of what I describe as looking like grass.
They are single flowers, not groups as in the op. Each flower is about the size of a silver dollar.

So far-they are bullet proof. Due to fine leaf structure, I've used PREEN on them. You would not want to need to weed them.
Closed Thread

Tags
bulb, time, twelve, flowers, blooms

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.