utility boxes

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Default utility boxes

Hello all you landscapers. We have a large utility box plus several smaller ones in the rear corner of our yard. I have read where whatever we plant must leave 3' clearance to the boxes. Any suggestions for what we might do to landscape that area, blocking out the sight of the ugly boxes? Thanks in advance for any help!! Cynthia

Cynthia, class of 1967
Muscatine, Iowa City and Newton, IA; Belmont, Sunnyvale & San Bernardino, CA; Biloxi, MS; Cleveland TN & The Villages
Old 03-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynkr67 View Post
Hello all you landscapers. We have a large utility box plus several smaller ones in the rear corner of our yard. I have read where whatever we plant must leave 3' clearance to the boxes. Any suggestions for what we might do to landscape that area, blocking out the sight of the ugly boxes? Thanks in advance for any help!! Cynthia
I would check with the utility companies. I don't believe you can block the electric utility box from view from the street. They made my neighbor cut his hedge back in front of the box in his back yard.

We are fortunate here. In a lot of subdivisions the utility boxes are in the front yard. Still better than utility poles.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:13 AM
Sage

According to seco, you must leave 10' clear in front of the door side, and 3' clear on all other sides. This is a safety requirement. The service people operate the switches inside with a long pole, and need the room to work unhindered.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Default utility boxes

Thanks, everyone. I will double check with SECO. I have seen them with plantings around them and without. Don't want to spend for landscaping that'll have to be torn up!

Cynthia, class of 1967
Muscatine, Iowa City and Newton, IA; Belmont, Sunnyvale & San Bernardino, CA; Biloxi, MS; Cleveland TN & The Villages
Old 03-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
According to seco, you must leave 10' clear in front of the door side, and 3' clear on all other sides. This is a safety requirement. The service people operate the switches inside with a long pole, and need the room to work unhindered.
To confirm mulligan's post, here the info noted from SECO's web site:

http://www.secoenergy.com/planting.html

Bill
Old 03-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Default Thanks

Appreciate the info from SECO. Thanks!

Cynthia, class of 1967
Old 03-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
What a child, class of 65.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:06 AM
Platinum member

We had the landscapers plant mewley grass (sp?) in front of the box. It will grow up to hide the box. If they need to access the box, they or I can just cut it down and it will grow back. At least that's what I was told by the landscaper. I hope it will block some of the hum that that thing emits too.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-27-2011, 06:34 PM

Thanks, I definitely will check into that!

Cynthia, class of 1967
Old 03-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Spelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
We had the landscapers plant mewley grass (sp?) in front of the box. It will grow up to hide the box. If they need to access the box, they or I can just cut it down and it will grow back. At least that's what I was told by the landscaper. I hope it will block some of the hum that that thing emits too.
It is spelled Muhly grass and is beautiful when iin bloom. If you plant it 3" away it will still hide the box quite nicely. Other ideas are Papmpas grass or Purple fountain grass. A varigated lygustrum or Chinese Privet" and/ or a loropeddulum are nice also.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.