Vine like weeds on lawn

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2017, 09:57 AM
Gold member
Default Vine like weeds on lawn

Just returned and lawn has been overtaken by these vine like weeds. Trying over the counter lawn weed killer ...ortho and Spectracide...but it doesn’t seem to work on these weeds. Had them before but never to this extent. Ideas?
Old 10-19-2017, 11:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

It's probably running Bermuda. It's very difficult to get rid of it. Several applications of weed and feed applied by you or a lawn care company will help over time, but I find I still have an area of my lawn that the Bermuda is persistent. Applications need to be a couple of months apart, so improvement will take time. Good Luck !
Old 10-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Platinum member

A picture would be helpful.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:16 PM
Veteran member

or it could be torpedo grass.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
or it could be torpedo grass.
I think it is a WIRE GRASS. ZHos would I get rid if it.?
Old 10-20-2017, 07:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

I've been happy with Zoysia Green 352-323-8454 if you want to call a company. You can check with the staff at Ace Hardware near Spanish Springs, they seem to always have staff that's very knowledgeable about many things. And there is some type of extension office near 466 that offers plant and weed advise, maybe another poster can help you with that location.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:48 AM
Gold member
Default In the end it is simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Just returned and lawn has been overtaken by these vine like weeds. Trying over the counter lawn weed killer ...ortho and Spectracide...but it doesn’t seem to work on these weeds. Had them before but never to this extent. Ideas?
You may want to go to the cooperative extension for suggestions and identification of the weed you have,

You do not say what type of grass you have. In the villages it is most likely st augustine in the older sections or empire zoyzia in the newer sections. That is important because some chemicals will kill or damage the grass you are trying to grow.

You mention ortho and spectracide. Those are brand names and doesn't tell us what you are using.

I use only two weed killers. One no matter what the brand name is is 2-4D sometimes sold as trimec. This stuff has been around since WW!. There is no patent on it so companies try to say theirs is better etc-it is all the same stuff. The 2-4D kills broad leaf PLANTS. If, you get it on your bushes or trees it will also kill them. It takes 2-3 weeks to kill so results are not instant. The other weed killer I use is grass and weed killer chemical name is glyphosate isopropylamine. You are buying the chemical. If you wish to buy a brand name. you will pay more. The common brand name is round up. This will kill most anythng you spray it on-grass,broad leaf weeds, tree bush etc. It is absorbed through the leaves so you can use it around plants you do not want to kill. This works faster than the 24D-about a week.
Since, the glyphosate will also kill your grass, you probably do not want to spray it on. You can spot treat the weeds with something like a paint brush.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Gold member

Thank you all
Closed Thread

Tags
weeds, lawn, vine, doesn’t, work

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.