Water sitting in back yard won’t drain away

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2018, 02:48 PM
Veteran member

Our French drain took three guys two days to dig a trench three foot deep between the houses. They hauled out a tandem axle trailer of clay soil. Brought in a half trailer each gravel and same amount of sand. Then laid a french drain and new sod. $1200 dollars.
Worked fine ever since.Life’s too short to keep worrying over water problems and hopping they will go away. Throwing some dirt on top isn’t going to make the water disappear.
Good luck.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

We also had a similar siituation behind our house. It occurred after the 2 year mark, out of the blue - no changes had occurred around the area. We called TV warranty and they directed us as to who to contact. Long story short, the irrigation bills of the neighboring houses were looked at and it was found that one neighbor was either way over-irrigating or perhaps had some kind of problem with their system. They were contacted by TV and the problem was resolved.

To the OP, this may be the first thing to look into, if applicable, before moving forward with an expensive project.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:39 PM

Down Sized; who did the work? dp
Old 07-16-2018, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPassehl View Post
We also have a wet back yard. Wet enough that it is killing the grass. I find it interesting that The Villages does not take responsibility for grading screw ups?? We have gotten an estimate for fixing the problem. We had Tri-County and Adams landscapers come out. Both suggested a French Drain on both sides of our lot to take the water from the back to the front to drain. Unfortunately, this is an expensive fix. About $6,000. I don't think building up to yard would work for us because it would make the lawn higher than our lanai. We were the first house on our street and as the houses built up around us they graded those lots higher than ours. To me; that should be The Villages problem. dp
That is way too much to pay.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59again View Post
What is the ARC?

It’s the thing you load your animals on if the water rises to much. Sorry, The Devil Made Me Say It.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
We also have a wet back yard. Wet enough that it is killing the grass. I find it interesting that The Villages does not take responsibility for grading screw ups?? We have gotten an estimate for fixing the problem. We had Tri-County and Adams landscapers come out. Both suggested a French Drain on both sides of our lot to take the water from the back to the front to drain. Unfortunately, this is an expensive fix. About $6,000. I don't think building up to yard would work for us because it would make the lawn higher than our lanai. We were the first house on our street and as the houses built up around us they graded those lots higher than ours. To me; that should be The Villages problem. dp
When was it determined to be a grading screw up? C'mon.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Down Sized; who did the work? dp
Landscape Productions
Tracy Smith (352) 390-7135
2805 CR44A Wildwood

They only did one side and made it drain to the street.

Tags
house, water, it’s, yard, they

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.