Water sitting in back yard won’t drain away

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Default Water sitting in back yard won’t drain away

Does anybody know of a landscaper that could build up my yard ,? It’s not draining like it used to along the sides of the house like it was intended . It sits now it take 4 to 5 days to dry up ,can’t mow it ,the water now lays against the house. this just started around feb of this year any amount of rain , the Villages came out and inspected my issue and told me it’s on me ,they suggested a buildup
Old 05-15-2018, 08:26 AM
Sage

Curious why it started now after draining properly for a while.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59again View Post
Does anybody know of a landscaper that could build up my yard ,? It’s not draining like it used to along the sides of the house like it was intended . It sits now it take 4 to 5 days to dry up ,can’t mow it ,the water now lays against the house. this just started around feb of this year any amount of rain , the Villages came out and inspected my issue and told me it’s on me ,they suggested a buildup
Having a French drain dropped into the easily dug sand often costs in the neighborhood of a hundred bucks. There are many advertisers on this Forum who can solve your drainage problems. My advice? Get three estimates from people that friends or neighbors have used. Check them out at Seniors Vs. Crime if you are unsure of them.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:01 AM

Not sure why , neighbors haven’t put in new landscaping Just started. I have been told by the villages it could be the natural drainage damming up but I can’t find it, hum
Old 05-15-2018, 09:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I would add dirt next to the house and sloping away from it so the water drains away from the house. That means you just have to buy dirt and have it put down.
But I assume the problem is not that easy so I think your only other alternative is a French drain. One of my neighbors put one in. It was probably 100 ft long and took about 5 men most of two days. The drain works well.
Seems like you have a design flaw as your slab should be high enough that water does not come up to it.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

OP, how old is the house? If only a year or 2, I would press home warranty again. The french drain is probably the least cost 'solution', but this keeps the low spot in place. It seems the better solution would be to have the sod removed, ground added to raise the area so water naturally drains away from the house, and sod reinstalled. Next Dimension did something like this for our neighbors. I would contact 3 or more landscapers, use ones that advertise in the paper, get estimates from each, NO money up front, check with seniors against crime.
On a side note, you may need ARC approval for a french drain, not sure about adding ground to raise the lawn. probably a good idea to call and ask.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Default Not sure i understand your question

Quote:
Not sure why , neighbors haven’t put in new landscaping Just started. I have been told by the villages it could be the natural drainage damming up but I can’t find it, hum
You say, "just started" if it is a new home, if, I recall, the code is that there should be no puddles lasting more than 24 hours. The drainage ditch, will always be wetter as, of course water flows down hill. You or your neighbor may be over-watering. You or your neighbor may be dumping swimming poll water into the drainage ditch. You and or your neighbor may be adding water from rain gutters to that area.

"Natural drainage," this is not NATURAL. Your parcel of land
was or should have been, PROPERLY GRADED. It is expensive to regrade your property. If, it is new, your builder may or may not be correct. PERHAPS, AVOIDING THE COST. HAVE YOU SPOKEN TO THE WARRANTY DEPARTMENT? For us, they've been very helpful.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:27 PM

What is the ARC?
Old 05-16-2018, 06:46 AM
Sage

ARC is the architectural review committee .
Old 05-16-2018, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
What is the ARC?
The mission of the Architectural Review Committee is to maintain the high quality and consistency of the aesthetics and design of the residences and home sites found throughout The Villages.

VCDD Architectural Review

984 Old Mill Run
The Villages, FL 32162
Community Standards
Phone: 352-751-3912
Fax: 352-751-6707

Basically if you want to make changes OUTSIDE to your house, landscaping, etc., contact ARC first to make sure you can do want you want to do.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

We had the same issue when we moved here.....called the warranty department and they sent out a team and they modified the levels and we have not had the issue since. That was over 3 years ago so not sure what their position is now. Neighbors also had warranty take care of their flooding, in some cases having french drains installed.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

When it rains, I still have standing water between my house and the neighbors. In my case, Warranty would do nothing! -> Home warranty can be frustrating - part 2
Old 05-21-2018, 03:12 PM

When will you be in that area
Old 05-21-2018, 03:19 PM

I don't have ANY experience in TV, however remember that your can do one of these three things: 1) as stated PLACE MORE DIRT CLOSE TO THE HOUSE; 2) install a FRENCH DRAIN; or what I have not seen here yet 3) LOWER THE GROUND LEVEL AWAY FROM YOUR HOUSE.

I have found in my experience that sometimes that 3rd choice is best in the long term.

Just my $0.02. In the end, I hope that you get this drainage addressed to your liking.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:18 AM

We also have a wet back yard. Wet enough that it is killing the grass. I find it interesting that The Villages does not take responsibility for grading screw ups?? We have gotten an estimate for fixing the problem. We had Tri-County and Adams landscapers come out. Both suggested a French Drain on both sides of our lot to take the water from the back to the front to drain. Unfortunately, this is an expensive fix. About $6,000. I don't think building up to yard would work for us because it would make the lawn higher than our lanai. We were the first house on our street and as the houses built up around us they graded those lots higher than ours. To me; that should be The Villages problem. dp

Tags
house, water, it’s, yard, they

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.